Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rostrevor trails Northern Ireland
  • PaulMc
    Free Member

Spending a few days visiting my folks in Rostrevor. Rode the red trail today. 27km with a huge climb from sea level to the top of the hill to start but what a brilliant trail. Superb fast, twisty jumpy singletrack which just goes on and on. I might even get fit! Roll on tomorrow.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I raced there this year during the World Police and Fire Games. We we’re straight up that climb from the gun and then another bit of it after about 1 mile. 12 times up that climb hurt…a lot

I rode the red trail a few days after. I was a bit disappointed until after the climb and that first bit of the descent that is exposed at the top.

Brilliant after that though.

Euro
    Free Member

I liked getting most of the climbing out of the way at the start. Means you can hammer down and not have to keep something in the bag. The final section of the descent is pretty nice. Keep you eyes peeled for the natural stuff or ask a local to point you in the direction of the Bins/New Bins/Champs, that’s were the fun will really begin 😈

If you’ve access to a car, i’d suggest hitting Davagh too. Less climbing (less trails in general) but really, really good for a trail centre.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Agree Gazhurst. Once it enters the trees at the Fallows it really gets started. Can’t imagine doing that clim 12 times ever. Have ridden here for years and still hate the climb up. But having ridden wi my brother in law who races for the fire service I’m sure you you coped.

Euro, I agree there is some nice natural stuff here although I don’t recognise the name you mention. It is nice to see some old bits included in the red, or at least I thought they were. Am planning to take the kids to Castlewellan but won’t have time for Davagh.

tony07
    Free Member

No old bits included in the red. You need to get onto the natural stuff. Dh3, Ballyed etc are some of the finest trails about and the best is yet to come 😉

barrykellett
    Free Member

gazhurst – Member
    I raced there this year during the World Police and Fire Games. We we’re straight up that climb from the gun and then another bit of it after about 1 mile. 12 times up that climb hurt…a lot

I rode the red trail a few days after. I was a bit disappointed until after the climb and that first bit of the descent that is exposed at the top.

12 times up to the Horse track?!
    I didn’t think any of the XC race categories were more than 6 laps?

The XC lap used is pretty good though, only uses a wee small bit of the trail center stuff.

OP should also try and get a spin around castlewellan too, much closer than Davagh

Euro
    Free Member

Am planning to take the kids to Castlewellan but won’t have time for Davagh.

I was going to suggest Castlewellan (for handiness as BK says) but wasn’t sure how much is closed due to tree felling. Turns out only a small section is still affected. Great spot for a family cycle.

PaulMc
    Free Member

I agree, Ballyed is good, although my wife won’t ride it now having slid out of control and hit a tree hard on that steep slippery descent near the top. I particularly like the technical rocky bit towards Leitrim from the old wall but in today’s wind there was no way I was going up there.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Agree Gazhurst. Once it enters the trees at the Fallows it really gets started. Can’t imagine doing that clim 12 times ever. Have ridden here for years and still hate the climb up. But having ridden wi my brother in law who races for the fire service I’m sure you you coped.

Thats not Lewis Ferguson is it?

12 times up to the Horse track?!
    I didn’t think any of the XC race categories were more than 6 laps?

It was 6 laps but 6 times up the first half of the climb and then 6 times up either the second half (or was it a different climb?)

harvey
    Free Member

castlewellan has a bit of wind fall damage at the moment but mainly rideable. look out for the natural stuff at the top of castlewellan park,
    also head to tollymore which is all natural tracks. the natural stuff is fairly dry at present and is riding really well. there is a good 2 to 3 hours riding in both areas and also the mountain path behind tollymore is dry either down the back of the wall or over to donard where again there are lots of class runs ! especially the one from the top of drinahilly
    i think we are very lucky at present to have a load of great tracks in this area. the last few days of gales have blocked the odd bit but hopefully will be cleared over the holidays !

PaulMc
    Free Member

Gazhurst, no Simon Wood. Fit as.
    Harvey, I was always under the impression that there was very little in Tollymore. Never bothered investigating as the hills above Rostrevor were always enough for a few days visit.

tmb467
    Free Member

Tollymore, Donard and Moneyscalp were where I cut my teeth in the very early 90s

Off the top of Commedagh as well…great fun

Been a long time since I’ve been back but Rostrevor looks good

barrykellett
    Free Member

It was 6 laps but 6 times up the first half of the climb and then 6 times up either the second half (or was it a different climb?)

Oh yes, correct lol

Technically I would say it is two climbs as you lose almost all the height of the first one before taking on the second “little” one

Makes for hard hard racing!

barrykellett
    Free Member

PaulMc – Member

Gazhurst, no Simon Wood. Fit as.
    Harvey, I was always under the impression that there was very little in Tollymore. Never bothered investigating as the hills above Rostrevor were always enough for a few days visit.

http://www.youtube.com/results?filters=video&search_query=tollymore&lclk=video

fudge9202
    Free Member

If your after less groomed and more natural trails Tollymore is the place
    Local riders have made some great trails in there and 2 of the forest rangers are mtbers so trails always in good nic.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I prefer Castlewellan to Rostrevor as the climbing isn’t as harsh, and is a bit easier for me to get to.

I usually ride in Tollymore at night and Donard Forest is pretty much my back garden. There’s plenty of nice tracks in both of them, but they can be hard to find. I’m still finding new tracks after 1 1/2 years exploring.

fudge9202
    Free Member

eltonerino Tollymore night riding is awesome usually see a lot of dear and hares, I caravan there a lot and it is a great base for Castlewellan as well. I’m like you mate hate endless climbs but as you are on the pedals all the time in Castlewellan it is not an easy day out.

harvey
    Free Member

hi paul,
    there are 2 main hills in tollymore. there are 2 or 3 good single tracks on the slope below the outdoor centre; then off the top of the next hill there are 4 or 5 trails ranging from nice xc trails to endure type. then off the drinns there is the mountain path,the old downhill champs course,also the watchtower i think its called, and then most of the xc race course is intact down by the river. there is a good hard 3 hours there !

PaulMc
    Free Member

Cheers. I guess Tollymore for me still means boring family strolls along the river on a Sunday afternoon when I was a kid and only wanted to get to the arcades on Newcastle front 😕 May have to explore some time but having riding virtually from the door in Rostrevor is a big plus.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rostrevor trails Northern Ireland’ is closed to new replies.