Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Roofboxes what’s worth a look?
  • DT78
    Free Member

All I know about them is Thule do some and appear to be ridiculously expensive….

For a Kia sportage if that makes  difference

chestrockwell

You tend to get what you pay for. A Halfords one will do the job but spend more and you get better hinges, better clamps, more robust plastic etc.

We got a thin Thule one in the sales. It’s great is easy to fit and use.

rene59
    Free Member

Have a browse here https://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-boxes/

I can recommend the Kamei Husky.

garage-dweller

We had use of a big old Halfords one for quite a while.

Fwiw my view is it’s a big ugly plastic box full of (in our case) a wheelchair or some not very exciting luggage etc.

It’s not for anything more than the odd trip and so the key requirements were basic locks, waterproof and that was about it.

Ours was old so not t track compatible and the u bolts extended into the box so I made some wooden bolt covers to stop stuff snagging.

Edit…as noted above hinges / supports get better with expenditure. Ours were awful and needed regular fettling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Make sure you don’t leave the keys at home.

midlifecrashes

Our big Karrite one has lasted about 20 years of rough treatment, just showing a crack along the back end where it stands up on (and occasionally dropped onto) at the end of the garage. I’m going to glue a bit of upvc window trim along the crack and it should be good for another decade.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the link up there useful reading

hot_fiat

Halfords Exodus were made by Thule for quite a while. They have recently changed though and I’ve not seen any new ones up close. I’ve a year old 580L and it’s superb. Proper central locking, double sided opening, decent rapid locking u-clamps (exactly the same as on my older Thule box). Recently converted it to t-track fittings as the u-clamps didn’t quite fit around the wingbars.

Alternatively I cannot fault the service from roofbox.co.uk when buying anything from them. The atera and Kamei boxes look great.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Cheap Halfords one here – only gets used a few times a year but has done the job without a problem for the last 7 or 8 years.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My advice would be to look on Gumtree and save a fortune.

Harry_the_Spider

Got a 540l Karrite Odyssey. Had if for years. There are some signs of age, but this is entirely down to me dumping it in the shed when it isn’t being used.

I’d have another.

matt_outandabout

My advice would be to look on Gumtree and save a fortune

This. I sold my a Halfords advanced for £20, having bought it five years earlier for £30.

spacemonkey

Kamei here for 4-5 years.  Probably mid-range in terms of pricing.  Does the job perfectly well.

hooli

Ebay, sort by nearest first and take your pick. After the summer holidays if you can wait.

There are also a few places that hire them if you don’t need it very often or have nowhere to store it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Thule Ranger 90 softbox.

It folds up into a bag that is small enough to live under a  bed or in the back of a cupboard or, in my case,  on a hook on the garage wall.

I couldn’t be arsed tripping over a full sized box all the time at home  or having to drive about with a box fitted on holiday.

It was the perfect ( for me) compromise.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bought a Thule one from someone off here 2nd hand a few years ago. I believe he’d had it 3 or 4 years and I’ve now had it the same. It’s still absolutely perfect and a great bit of kit.

DT78
    Free Member

quick scout on gum tree doesn’t reveal anything close by.  need the bars to turn up I suppose so I can get it home.  storage will be a pain in king of hoping I can get it in the loft.  if not will have to rig up some sort of pully system in the garage roof

wors

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=301

Got one of these I’m looking to sell if interested?

Nobby

Kamei here for 4-5 years.  Probably mid-range in terms of pricing.  Does the job perfectly well.

Same here – been reliable & still in decent shape.

Roofbox.co.uk do a rudimentary strap system for storing in garage roof space which does the job well enough:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?12361

mrchrispy

Halfords Exodus here but its single sided opening which can be a PITA to get the clamps on the far side.

But….its massive and it was cheap, not a bad bit of kit (you really need space to store it)

bigblackshed

I recently bought a 2nd hand Thule Alpine box. One of the slim, half width ones. Probably paid over the odds for it TBH. Used it for holiday last week. Now trying to figure out where to store it. My sheds are full and it’s surprisingly large. If I sell it I’ll need it again next week.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Roofboxes what’s worth a look?’ is closed to new replies.