Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • roof box packing
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have a roof box coming for our camping trip a kamei 510. I’ve not had a box before so wondering what the least painful way of packing is..

I’ve seen thule go bags which I like the idea, but it’s another £140 on top of a hefty wedge for the box. is it worth the extra? anyone use similar cheaper holdall if so which ones?

oldtennisshoes

Some boxes come with straps to hold things in place – use them.
    Light bulky stuff goes in the roof box, the exception being skis.
    Normal bags or holdalls should be fine, just be careful not to foul the locks or struts.
    Some folk put a strap around the box for extra security.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve seen thule go bags which I like the idea, but it’s another £140 on top of a hefty wedge for the box. is it worth the extra?

Nope. They’re just holdalls. Get the measurements of your box and you’ll find bags which are the right size easily enough.

I use Crane 50l Dry bags . A tenner each from Aldi, indestructible, waterproof and they fit my Thule Ranger 90 softbox perfectly.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-dry-duffle-bag-50l/p/096343225039200

grum
    Free Member

How is the roof box? I need to get one and was looking at a Kamei Husky M

matt_outandabout

The panther has it – any old drybag or holdall in a bin bag will do.

timmys

We got Thule bags for free when we bought our box. It is amazingly convenient to fill X number of perfectly proportioned bags and slot them in. My wife absolutely raves about this whenever anyone even mentions buying a box.
    Of course buying correct sized bags from someone else will achieve the same thing (though the thule bags are very nicely made and we use them all the time, even when not going in the box).

Saccades
    Free Member

I use those under the bed plastic boxes, 5 fit in perfectly.

Plus the low height deliberately restricts the shit the missus can pack in.

ransos
    Free Member

Cheap holdalls from Argos. Fill with your sleeping bags, mats and clothes.

kimbers

Resuseable shopping bags work fine

garage-dweller

I find myself thinking that if it needs a dry bag then unless the dry bag is just a cheap alternative to a hold all you bought the wrong roof box. We had a 20+ year old Halfords one for a while. Even with just an overlap lid and no rubber seals I never remember finding wet stuff in it.

The only thing I wouldn’t use is open topped bags with anything heavy or hard in. Strap the bigger stuff in and away you go.

st

Holdalls, suitcases, wetsuits and all that sort of stuff in ours. As above check for fouling on hinges and locks and pack to reduce the chance of things sliding around. Even in foul weather I’ve never had an issue with water getting in if that is a concern.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, box hasn’t arrived yet so can’t comment on quality, I was after the Thule equivalent but couldn’t find it in stock. It seems to be well regarded, no fancy quick clamp like the Thule though

I would like proper hold-all rather than stuff sacks or plastic bags just so I can keep the clothes reasonably unscrewed up. I’ll measure up properly when it arrives

oldtennisshoes
    grum
    Free Member

Big packing cubes might be handy also

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

As above, if the contents get wet, there is something wrong with the roofbox or the puddles are too deep.

Think about the weight, how it is distributed, and is it secure. Light and bulky is what they are for, or long and awkward.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Blue Ikea bags, all the clothes and soft stuff.

Heavy stuff should always go in the car, physics and all that.

falkirk-mark

I used to just use bin bags although the roofbox never leaked I just used them in case, Didn’t want to start a trip with wet gear.
    Thule ranger 90

mmiz
    Free Member

I use several of these – cheap, reasonably robust, and in various colours so I know what is in which bag.
    I’ve got a Halfords roof box bought 10 years ago and it has never let in water. .. Sorry. I’ve removed the link as it seems to take you to my ebay purchased items which I didn’t really want to do! Hopefully back in a minute with a general ebay link..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Any old soft bag will do…big supermarket bag for life things or Ikea blue bags are perfect. Large enough for you to fold clothes up but compliant to fit within the shape of the roof box. However on the odd occasion I’ve used them I’ve usually packed odd shaped stuff in the roof box, like body boards, kids scooters etc. and stuffed the empty spaces with smaller soft bags with things like beach towels so the more regular shaped stuff can fit in the car boot – far more efficient use of space. Also you’d be surprised how heavy clothes are for a family of 4 – especially with three girls who have to bring everything with them – by far the heaviest item we pack so better off in the car boot.

But yes, lighter stuff on top – you can feel the thing sway if you put anything heavy up there, especially if you have a couple or few bikes up there too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bags to pack stuff into to then put into a roofbox?

😃

Say what now?

mmiz
    Free Member

Soz. Not having any joy getting a url to post. Try googling “bagbase barrel bag” and Amazon have 32 litre zip holdalls for about £4.39 and what looks like the same on ebay for about £7.00

grum
    Free Member

darcy, you know how in your house, you have stuff like wardrobes or cupboards and even jars etc to contain items? Despite the fact that technically you could just sling everything into one big pile. It’s like that.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Blue ikea bags ftw. Cheap, light big and soft.

mmiz
    Free Member

These are the ones, as mentioned in my previous posts.. https://www.bestworkwear.co.uk/bagbase-bg150-packaway-barrel-bag.html

twistedpencil

DD +1

Chuck everything in, layer of pillows on top. Jobs jobbed 🙂

If I don’t need pillows, turn the stereo up so I can’t hear things rattling around 😉

tomparkin

Given you mention camping…

We have a roof box which is almost exclusively used for camping trips.

I tend to use it solely to transport our gigantic polycotton tent and its many accoutrements. The tent pretty much eats the roof bar weight limit on its own, and while it’s a massive pain to get it in the roof box, it’s marginally less of a pain than trying to fit it in the boot.

Plus if it gets wet, it can be wet in the roof box on the way home rather than being wet in the car.

Plus plus when you have to stop mid journey to dig out fresh trousers for someone, or a spare blanket or whatever, it’s in the car and hence easy to locate compared with finding it in a box above your head you can’t see into.

I bloody love camping, me 😂

ajaj
    Free Member

Some folk put a strap around the box for extra security.

We don’t have a roof box, but did once arrive on the scene shortly after one had either blown open or come off the roof bars on a motorway leaving a distressed family’s holiday clothes spread over a surprisingly large area.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s like that.

Of course it is, yeah. 😀

I’m just off to put all my cups and glasses into bags in the cupboards.

Seriously though, bags, for a roofbox. Love it. Gives me something else to go and buy. I’ve been missing a trick maybe.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘roof box packing’ is closed to new replies.