Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ron Hill RIP
  • surfer
    Free Member

Sad to hear that the great man has died. Ran a WR on our 20 miler many years ago (Liverpool Pembroke 20)

RIP Ron

duncancallum

Sad day indeed

Used to regularly run the pike race

welshfarmer

I met the great man at an outdoor clothing Messa in Germany. Nice humble man who said he hadn’t missed a day’s running in 50 years. I still have several pairs of tracksters in regular use 🙂

MrSparkle

An absolute legend. I was lucky enough to meet him when he did the presentations at our running club many years ago. I can also remember being very pleased to beat him at Rivi Pike even though he was in his latter years.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Shit RIP – a legend and dare I say a hero. I grew up with Ron Hill he was a friend of my dads & a competitor in business too as my dad had two running shops in the NW (Bolton & Wigan) at the time of his Running Wild era. Almost every race I did as a kid around Lancs (red rose XC league & countless fell & road races) he was there – I remember reading his book when I was about 12 it was such an inspiration.
    He and my dad would ‘compete’ for the best space at races to set up their ‘shop stall’
    Very sad.

martinhutch

Time to get my bright green tracksters out of the loft. RIP Ron!

thelawman

I was just about to go out for a few miles when I saw this news. That’s a great shame. I Will find the Tracksters right away.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this. Ron travelled out to the European Championships in Athens in 1969 on the same flight as us load of supporters so he could be with his family. We saw him out training prior to his Marathon race. A nice unassuming man and always friendly.  And of course, a great runner.

A great moment to see him enter the Panathenaic Stadium (the original 1896 Olympic stadium) to win the Marathon to Athens race in a fantastic atmosphere.

RIP Ron

scuttler

Tracksters forever!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Ron Hills were the only things to wear MTBing for 20 odd years.

montylikesbeer

My first everything outdoors was in a pair of “Ron Hills”

Failed ascents of Wilton A and B v diffs, my first Munro’s and heading off to Saudi for my first overseas contract all in my purple “Ron Hills”

RIP

timbog160

Still wear my Tracksters! Admittedly usually with waterproofs over top, but they are great bits of kit.

RIP Ron

masterdabber
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this. Ron travelled out to the European Championships in Athens in 1969 on the same flight as us load of supporters so he could be with his family.

Btw, I should have said… our flight from Stansted was delayed quite a bit and they took us off to some restaurant to keep us happy (those were the days). Ron went running around the airport before they took us to the restaurant.

avdave2

82 is a good age but I’m pretty sure my tracksters will beat it! RIP Ron

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Spoke to my dad apparently he’s been ill with dementia for some time ☹️

franksinatra

As an junior NCO in Air Cadets on adventure training I was super proud of my tracksters as I thought they made me look quite pro on the hill when coupled with Yeti gaiters. Some of the girls in the group used to joke about me having a VPL. It took me a while to realise the P didn’t stand for pants.

They seemed impressed and I’ve got a lot to be grateful to Ron for.

claudie

For those that own a pair, we should honour the man in Singletrack style with a run this week wearing our old and tatty tracksters. Mine are out and ready, hope they stay up as the waist cord is long gone …

scratch
    Free Member

My tracksters were bought as under short tights back in the day (Mid 90s) but then moved onto nightware while in the tent on cold nights, did that job perfectly.

I’ll dig them out and get a run in this week!

RIP Ron

surfer
    Free Member

I was on my way out for a run when I posted this…. I was wearing tracksters. Ran in them for 40 yrs (not the same pair obvs)

donald
    Free Member

I shall wear my tracksetrs at half mast tonight.

adscatt
    Free Member

Sad, I used to see Ron every morning on my commute through Hyde, he was out on his morning run, we would exchange a nod, smile or morning. Lovely to see someone so active in their later years.

RIP

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ron Hill RIP’ is closed to new replies.