Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rockshox SID vs REBA forks – what's the difference?
  • large418
    Free Member

So I want to get a set of forks for my Dirty Harry 29er that I am building up. I want it to be a race bike, circa 9.5kg, but also capable of big days out – currently looking at SID and REBA forks, but they look like they have the same travel, same weight and similar damping technologies (there’s the sales blurb that tells me how much I will get out of RCT3 vs XX vs Black Box damping blah blah but I am a fit and forget kind of rider – I am not going to be adjusting the damping every time I hit a different type of trail. They will be well looked after whichever I get though.

So, what’s the difference between the Sid forks and the Reba forks? Which is lighter and which is stiffer / better for XC type riding?

The Rebas are cheaper – that’s a key feature at the moment!

Thanks

haggis1978

I’m sure someone has asked this before and the answer was that the lowers are the same but it’s all the gubbins inside that are made from better and lighter materials. I’ve got RCT3 SIDS and Revs and they’re pretty much fit and forget once you get them set up.

haggis1978

SIDS are lighter and better as they’re the XC race fork if that’s what you’re looking for. Aren’t the 2014 forks due out imminently or out now? Should be some bargain forks around or have a look on the German sites

mrblobby
    Free Member

For the 29er there’s nothing between the two in terms of weight (and presumably stiffness) according to the RockShox tech spec. The internals on the SID are better for the equivalent model (e.g. comparing the RL models) but then the SID is more expensive. For what it’s worth I went for the 29er Reba RL for a budget build XC racer (was 1650g with an uncut steerer and 15mm maxel, so quoted weight is about right)

jairaj

The SID has lighter and better internals. The top of the range SID (World cup version?) gets a carbon steerer too to save more weight.

In terms of dampers the XX is supposed to be for racers, light weight and has a hydraulic actuated lockout. I don’t think you can adjust the compression damping its either fully open or locked out.

The black box damper has a fixed high speed compression circuit and an adjustable low speed compression circuit. Very nice damper and is my choice as like a active fork and don’t use threshold or lockout.

The RCT3 is similar to the black box but has the additional threshold setting, where the fork is locked out but will move on mid and large sized impacts. Has a full lockout too which only moves on large impacts.

The Reba probably has the best balance of cost, performance and weight. but if you don’t mind spending the cash then the SID is better.

Kryton57

IMHO my 2012 set has less small bump compliance via the factory set high speed compression and despite being dual air, isn’t as comfy as the Reba.

Its is though, supposed to be a “racing” fork I guess. If anyone has a miracle cure*, or wants to swap it out for a Reba or F100 PM me….. 🙁

*yes I have been through the endless setup guides / internet advice.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I swapped the motion control damper in my rebas for an RCT3 one and hey presto I’ve got Sids (there’s dual flow rebound and an aluminium damper shaft as well).
    Still got the moco unit if tou want it Kryton?

Kryton57

Thanks Rorschach – mine has MoCo – (its an 100mm RLT) its just that I find it harsh. Its probably personal, it gets all the travel etc but I like my forks on the comfy side. I find it doesn’t ride the small bumps and roots comfortably – aka wrist ache.

It’s also “sticky” if I leave it in the shed for a few weeks – one cycled its ok but I’m wondering if there is some initial resistance in my fork which is causing the issue. As an example, I can’t get a SAG measurement out of it without some ridiculously low psi (40psi) at 13st with kit. Day to day I’m running it at 70psi.

large418
    Free Member

thanks all – I’ll keep looking out for some Rebas at the right price then

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, a couple of rides in on my Reba RL and I have found them quite harsh. Just assuming I need to do a bit of tweaking and running in, hope I’m not wrong!

Kryton57

MR blobby, I just found this http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/end-all-explanation-motion-control-damping-136225.html

With regard to the Hsc (threshold) it’s almost opposite to other advice, which is to allow it to lick the fork. This advise means running it very light to reduce Hsc and hey presto a less harsh fork. I’m going to try my usual 50% or 3 clicks lsv with the Hsc backed off.

jairaj

couple of rides in on my Reba RL and I have found them quite harsh. Just assuming I need to do a bit of tweaking and running in, hope I’m not wrong!

If they are band new just keep riding them a bit more. The seals need time to bed in and loosen up. Had a similar problem on a set of Revs and SID after a few rides everything was nice and supple.

sideshow
    Free Member

I thought the reba was meant to be stiffer. Hence better for general riding if you’re not trying to save every last gram?

jairaj

The current versions of SID and Reba have almost identical chassis.

I would guess and say that the current Recon might use the older Reba chassis now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox SID vs REBA forks – what's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.