• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rockshox revelation RCT3 – problem?
  • mega
    Free Member

Yo Dudes
    Had a great ride this morning but noticed on the last run that my forks felt odd at over half compression/travel/ They sort of felt a bit graunchy/rough. The top stroke was smooth.

I let all the air out of the postive chamber (120psi) and the forks started sucking down until there was little more than 50mm travel left. Then I let all the air out of the negative chamber (35 psi) and they went back up again but not by that much.

I gave them a yank and can get them to top out but they seem to suck back down a bit by themselves.

Is this normal? I was planning on getting a seal/lower service done but wondering if I should ask the mechanic to look for any issues at the same time.

If these are easy to service I could always have a crack myself – I have the spare seal kit from when they were new.

Cheers!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Why have you not got equal air pressures firstly?
    Keep burping air whilst pushing and pulling.

mega
    Free Member

What will me burping do to help? That’ll just annoy my family 🙂

To be honest I last set these up 6 months ago and they have been very tidy up to now (they are over a year old). Pretty sure that I put ~100 psi in both +ve and -ve chambers when I set them up so you might have a point. How can air get betwixt the two chambers? Is it a known fault?

Going to have a mess about with them now….
    ta

Northwind

Are your pressures there as measured after the fault? You can’t remeasure an air spring with a shock pump, the amount of air that fills the pump when you attach it skews the results, especially with little negative springs.

My old Teams used to push air from the positive to the negative which caused them to suck down but it’s very hard to see that happening the other way round, especially like this- if you could somehow dump all the air from the negative into the positive and it probably wouldn’t make 20+psi difference. And also wouldn’t cause the fork to suck down, it’d go the other way.

mega
    Free Member

added 120 in positive and negative chambers and the spring feels about right. The forks seems as rough as badgers bottom though so think it’s time for a service. LBS sends forks off so might as well do that bit myself.

br
    Free Member

With Revs you can pretty much do a service yourself, just search for a Youtube clip.

Northwind

Yeah, lowers service is as hard as wiping your bottom and pouring a shot of whisky. Full service a wee bit more involved, and if you suspect there’s something wrong with them probably worth a pro job- you could easily do a full service and refresh but miss a problem that a professional would spot, sometimes things are pretty unobvious.

mega
    Free Member

I watched some YouTube vids and it looks ok but worried I’d miss any faults like you say. Northwind – do I remember that you service forks for money? Apologies if I got that wrong (:

Northwind

Nah, I’m a decent diy’er but that’s all. Mojo of this parish is a good one to speak to, he sorted out my Sids lovely.

dimitriscsd
    Free Member

Just a note:

When you plan on removing air from the fork, remove air from the negative first then remove air from the positive.

When you want to inflate it again do it in reverse. Inflate positive, then negative.

In general, more air in the negative chamber will result in loss of exposed travel.

mega
    Free Member

Cheers all will drop loco a mail

mega
    Free Member

without wanting to sound like a craig david song…..

sent the forks off on Tuesday…
    Loco received them on Wednesday….
    I was back mincing about at Swinley on Friday…

They feel mint now !

Northwind

Cool, now you can chill on sunday.

LoCo
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox revelation RCT3 – problem?’ is closed to new replies.