Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rockshox Pike Select – terrible! Clunky, wallow – is this normal?
  • Lofty
    Free Member

I’ve got a new bike (On One Wrekker) with Pike Select 150mm forks. I’ve had Pikes before and really liked them. These are awful. They clunk when you lift up, very noticeably and all the time regardless of adjusting rebound. They wallow in mid range with no real progression, even at the maximum rated pressure. They bottom out hard (metal on metal) when taking a heavier hit. Is this what the latest version of these previously great forks are? Any suggestions for how to improve? Thanks

ayjaydoubleyou

They clunk when you lift up, very noticeably and all the time regardless of adjusting rebound.

When I blew the rebound damper in my much older pikes, I got this. I know yours is new but seems like a similar issue.

The rest of your description, assuming your shock pump definitely works and you aren’t seriously overweight, points to further problems.

didnthurt

I’ve the same fork on my Hello Dave and have never been blown away by their performance but they are good at taking the bigger hits.

This is my current setup which works for me:
    80kg weight
    80 psi
    one token spacer
    6 clicks from fastest

Also try letting the air out and then add the air incrementally compressing the fork to equalising the pressure.

Five ways to set-up a RockShox fork

Mine could do with a service.

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

I’d advise they go back to Sram straight away for a warranty inspection. From what you’ve described there is an issue and on a new(ish) fork it wouldn’t be wise to start taking them apart yourself.
    Alternatively I’d be happy to inspect and advise for you. Feel free to drop me a line at Race Ready Suspension. Inspections are free of charge.

binman

@racereadysuspension  when will your website be up and running?

hooli

I’d advise they go back to Sram straight away for a warranty inspection

I’d second this, I have a 150mm Pike select and it is nothing like you describe, its silent, smooth and a great fork.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

binman

@racereadysuspension
    when will your website be up and running?

Assuming they’re one and the same I think it is already.

zerocool

A lot of RS forks come with the wrong amount of oil (at least in the past so that could be the problem).

cx_monkey

its very likely the damper – either not enough fluid, or just dead. You can check the oil height/volume vs the data from the Rockshox height (but as raceready says, not really advised, may invalidate warranty, etc), or get them back for a check. If its a new fork it’s certainly not right. For what it’s worth i found the earlier/basic charger and particularly MoCo dampers very lacking in mid stroke support, but later charger 3 seems a lot better in this respect. The Pike Select only has a basic charger, all the ones higher up the tree have more advanced ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like the damper is buggered.

Have you dropped PX a line about it?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Have you dropped PX a line about it?

Can we take bets on how this goes..?

daviek

Question is, does the whole bike need to go back if it wasn’t just the frame that was bought …..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Does riding the bike outside of a PX authorised trail invalidate the warranty?

desperatebicycle

I’ve bought stuff from racereadysuspension if you’re wondering if they’re legit. Got stickers n everyfing 🙂

benpinnick

Clunky & new Pike Select not unheard of. Fix is generally to replace the damper. Any shop can send them back for you. Premier stockists don’t pay shipping so if you’re very friendly with a local bike shop it needn’t be a massive cost either.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.