Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rockshox pike 409 u-turn spring question
  • swampy8837
    Free Member

Hi, I took a gamble on some really clean and fairly cheap pike u-turn. Having fitted them and had a quick ride (not in anger) the spring seems far too soft, I tried to find a replacement cool but have been told these particular coils have been discontinued. So does anyone by chance have any springs that might fit or can I use a different coil as a replacement? Cheers.

trumpton
    Free Member

try tft tuned. Is the 409 the old school pike?

swampy8837
    Free Member

It was tf tuned who said the spring is discontinued. Yeah I believe its about a 2010 model.

gnusmas

Yeah, 409 are the old skool forks. I had one and they are great forks. Any idea what spring you have in there?

swampy8837
    Free Member

No but I can almost bottom the forks out without really trying but then I’m 16st. I’ll try and service them and change the oil as that may well help.

timnoyce
    Free Member

I had a pair of Pike 454’s up until recently and had the same spring issue as I had an X-Firm and it was too hard. If you’re game for a bit of tinkering then you can actually fit the Sektor Coil to the pike although you have to move the top out spring from the spring side to the damper side. There are a number of forum posts online about the mod which I could probably dig up for you.

What coil do you have at the moment? If you undo the cap on the spring side then you can just lift out the spring and it’ll have a coloured mark on it. As standard it’ll be the red/medium spring.

Annoyingly, the ‘colours’ of the pike springs don’t exactly correlate with the colours of the Sektor spring, but I ended up on a Firm Sektor 150mm dual position spring in my Pike to give me 140mm of travel. I’m 79kg and it was perfect for me. I also tried a variety of other ones before I ended up at this one as randomly the springs came up on amazon for sub £20 so I stocked up on a range of them!

loughor
    Free Member

I’ve similar era Revs which are air sprung and still pretty good. Is changing to air still an option ? Just curious !

swampy8837
    Free Member

Definately up for tinkering. I don’t suppose you have the x firm spring do you? If you could find the posts about the mod that’d be great!

swampy8837
    Free Member

I had 130mm epicons and loved them. I’ve never ridden springs before so would never mind going to air again, but I don’t think you can convert spring to air due to springs scoring the inside of the stanchions,

timnoyce
    Free Member

You can go to air on the Pike as the air u-turn assembly is a sealed unit and so doesn’t seal against the inside of the stanchion… again though, if you can locate one new or second hand.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I had this so I converted to Air U-Turn.

When buying parts you need the adjuster, the shaft and a stanchion liner, don’t forget the last bit!

Very easy to do, old school RS are great to work on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox pike 409 u-turn spring question’ is closed to new replies.