Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • RocketMAX as an only Mtb – experiences please
  • razorrazoo

Looking at changing bikes next year. On a v2 Bronson Alu at the moment. I’m a bit of a SC fanboy so will test the new Bronson and Hightower but the pricing is punchy for the GX spec so I’m looking at other options.

This is my one Mtb. I’ll use it for trail centres, Surrey Hills and also the Alps so I want something with a decent amount of travel (140-160) but also reasonably easy to live with on tamer trails (the Bronson has been great for this).

I’m 29er curious. Have tested the new Rallon which seems to be a good all rounder, pretty lightweight and easy to live with given the travel, and a Smuggler which was nice, but I’d want a bit more travel (perhaps the sentinel, but reviews say it’s better pointed down).

One bike that intrigues me is the RocketMAX as the reviews are great and I rally like the way Cy comes across in the Downtime podcasts. My worry is though, that it is a lump at 34lbs, and would end up being a chore to pedal around somewhere like Swinley. How are those that have one getting on with it as for the more mundane trails?

I know there’s the Flare, but like the Smuggler, I really want a bit more travel than it has.

There is a demo day in Surrey Hills in feb so I will see if the date suits.

tuboflard

Got a first generation RocketMAX and it’s great. Use it in the Peak, trail centres, Alps trips and done big days out in the Lakes on it. Incredibly capable and I don’t admittedly get the best from it but I’d not change it. Great fun on 650b’s with 2.8’s on it too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Give me a couple of weeks and I should have an XL built up for hoofing around Surrey hills and beyond. Will be interesting to see how I get on with it up at Redlands.

jezzep

Tried both the rocket and flaremax at the last demo ride at the forest of Dean. Test them both if I was you, you may find like I did that the flaremax is actually is better for all round capabilities…

Jez

cy

First and foremost, really try and get on a demo day. As mentioned above (and having ridden at Redlands just yesterday) the FlareMAX is probably the better bike for what you need, and don’t underestimate it for a big mountain trip. Despite “only” 125mm rear travel, with 140 forks, a big front brake and some tough tyres it will be great in the mountains. You’ll have to back off a bit in really rocky terrain, but the Longshot geometry gives amazibg composure and confidence in steep tech, and if you are used to 27.5″ wheels the 29er wheels really amplify the capability of the bike. A couple of examples: a few of my mates have FlareMAXs because they need all rounders and they live down your way. After riding them for a few months all of them brought them to Finale for our annual riding trip instead of older 160/170 27.5″ wheel enduro bikes and they didn’t regret it for a second because the Cotic was so much better for them because it had better geometry. Another point i will make is that i do use my RocketMAX as my only bike, and it’s brilliant, but i live on the edge of Sheffield and ride 90% of the time in the Peak District on fast rocky terrain. Its spot on. If i lived somewhere where 90% of my riding was less hectic and more singletrack with the occasional alps trip chucked in i would have a FlareMAX no doubt. I am abig believer in buying the right bike for most of your riding, not just for 1 week a year. Hope that doesn’t come across too preachy!

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m on a rocketmax as my only bike. It replaced an airdrop edit. Majority of riding is South Wales off piste with a lot of fod dh/enduro kind of stuff and it’s brilliant. I do get out on local more mellow stuff as well and although it’s a lot of bike it’s not that much of a problem. I occasionally head out on xc kind of rides with local mtb club and while it’s no whippet it rides up the climbs alright.
    I wouldn’t say it numbs the trail and makes it dull like a lot of people, in those scenarios you just end up going faster! I think if you are happy to sit and pedal on climbs it does a great job.
    I felt a bit over biked demoing a hardtail at Swinley so maybe it might be a lot to pedal around there!
    I think all in it’s 34/35lb kind of territory. Which incidentally is the same weight as a mates all carbon top spec specialized enduro so not ridiculous for the bike it is.
    The flaremax was an incredible bike as well but the rocketmax just felt right for me. Size wise it feels the best fitting bike I’ve been on. Im 5’8” on a medium

chakaping
    Free Member

Demo the Rocketmax and the Flaremax on the same day.

Not sure I’d want to take either to Swinley though.

Looking at this part of the brief…

I want something with a decent amount of travel (140-160) but also reasonably easy to live with on tamer trails

I’d suggest demo-ing the Orange Stage 6 as well. I have the older version and it’s by far the best long-travel bike I’ve had for trail centres and letting easier trails still be fun. Very light too.

Gotama
    Free Member

I’d suggest demo-ing the Orange Stage 6 as well. I have the older version and it’s by far the best long-travel bike I’ve had for trail centres and letting easier trails still be fun. Very light too.

Interesting. I’m surprised at that given the new one has a pretty long front centre and the stays are 470 or something crazy. I’d have expected it to be great flat out in the Alps but very dull on slow, flatter trails.

Not surprisingly, given he owns a bike company, what Cy says is bang on. The new longer geometry makes a bike much more capable in rough terrain. The new tallboy is also an excellent bike and the alu frame option is fairly sensible price wise. As I’m sure you know Howard has some demos. I was quite happy hammering down the likes of thick and creamy on it when I had the demo. That said the Alps element is your issue. I’m lucky enough to have two bikes hence why I’m going for the rocket. If by Alps you mean Morzine etc and you’re riding the rougher, steeper stuff, then the short travel bikes don’t fair so well there in my opinion. If you’re happy taking it slower on that stuff then they’ll be fine. Depends on what you want when you’re out there I guess.

Also might be worth looking at the new Starlings as I believe Joe has now set the shock mount so you can adjust the travel. Run it shorter for normal and push it out for the Alps.

the00
    Free Member

As much as I like the Rocket, the Rallon sounds perfect for what you want.
    I’ve not ridden either more than just a quick car park test.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

RocketMax (non-longshot) is my one and only MTB. It is a perfectly suitable bike as a single do it all bike as far as i’m concerned. Of course there are compromises and you need to make a decisions where you want to make those compromises, but it pedals well enough for big XC rides, so long as you’re not looking to break any speed or time records, excels in bike parks and trail centres and even handles full on uplift DH tracks.

Not sure a Longshot RocketMax would be so versatile though. Not ridden one but it sounds more like a mini DH bike than an all round can capable trail bike. Maybe a FlareMax might be more suitable in the Longshot flavours.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting. I’m surprised at that given the new one has a pretty long front centre and the stays are 470 or something crazy. I’d have expected it to be great flat out in the Alps but very dull on slow, flatter trails.

The intergalactic chainstays on the new one are fascinating, I’d love to test ride one.

Singletrack had a first ride review which suggested it’s kept its lively character, but oddly didn’t mention the rear length. Perhaps the rider wasn’t told though.

I’m a big fan of how Cotics ride, but the light weight and pedaling manners of Oranges do give them the edge as “one bike for everything” IMO. My Stage 6 appears to be quicker up-and-across than the Flaremax.

ayjaydoubleyou

My worry is though, that it is a lump at 34lbs, and would end up being a chore to pedal around somewhere like Swinley.

a GX level santa cruz will be north of 30lbs.

Weight isn’t your issue with making Swinley a chore. Draggy tyres and mushy suspension will do, both numbing the ride and being more effort to pedal.

Not ridden the rocketmax but have ridden a mates flaremax. it felt light and nimble (therefore engaging) to ride even with the base xfusion shock (no idea what the actual weight is).

woots787
    Free Member

I’ve got a flaremax old longshot one. Over the last year its spent 5days in pila, couple of pearce uplifts and lots of short local evening rides. This Saturday it’ll get a lap of cannock so I’ll be overbiked. Most of the time its the exact right bike, but every now and then I case a jump and feel like I’ve broken my ankles, or am a bit off line and don’t have the travel to see me good or don’t carry the speed my friends are in that sort of small rough sections that just rely on hanging on.
    Sometimes a carbon hardtail would be perfect for the last climb. Also the 34mm forks wobble on big bumps even though I’m only ten stone of office worker. Its a really hard choice to make, especially given that you’ll end up riding whatever wheels and tyres survive your riding style. So no use but I’d stick with your demo plan. For what its worth I’m going to try and do a few pearce rounds next year and doubt I’ll change bikes, it’ll be fine and maybe mean I get 26th not 24th in vets…

razorrazoo

Thanks all, some interesting food for thought ahead of any demo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If the Bronson was your only MTB, I don’t see a huge issue with the cotic replacing it, as you’re used to one bike anyway.

As ayjay says, weight isn’t the driving factor in how a bike pedals. Ditto wheel size.

Bronson is my only MTB too, if the cotic pedals as well as that, then you’re golden.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘RocketMAX as an only Mtb – experiences please’ is closed to new replies.