Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rocket Rons for the 3 peaks?
  • bones76
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has rode these tyres on terrain that you will get doing the 3 peaks? and if so what are your thoughts?

Had been considering going with land cruisers but someone planted a seed in my head about these tyres…

😕

boxelder

I’ve successfully used panaracer cindercross twice after my first go on LCs.
    Not dissimilar to Ron’s I wouldn’t think.
    Grippier in the mud than LCs and faster/lighter on tarmac.

bones76
    Free Member

No punctures then? and guessing you ran with high pressure like i would with land cruisers?

I have been advised to go with faster/lighter tyres though am a little concerned with regards punctures, been running LC’S with high pressure and am descending really well and quick with no punctures so far!

crikey
    Free Member

I used one last year on the front, but I could have coped perfectly well with my other semi slick tyre. The 3 Peaks is all stony track or road apart from the first descent off Ingleborough, and that is a grassy one.

You really need tyres that won’t puncture or pinch flat rather than fannying about with the incompetent mountain bikers excuse of wrong tyre choice.

It’s rideable on slicks.

richpips
    Free Member

Look on the schwalbe site and on one sites.

“This is an out-and-out competition racing tyre. Puncture protection and durability are limited”

Good luck.

boxelder

No punctures no, but I’m only 14 stone’………ahem…

richpips
    Free Member

14 stone. You must ride with skill/slowly or be lucky.

Or maybe schwalbe like under selling their products

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmarks?

bones76
    Free Member

I weigh 75kg so just under 12 stone am just not sure what to do, maybe stick with what i know and just go with the Land cruisers…

scottyroyal
    Free Member

Stick with LC’s, plenty grippy enough. The 3 seconds you loose due to them being a bit heavy will way more than you’ll loose if you puncture.

They are super popular at the peaks for a reason, I’ve used tubs, normal cross tyres and LC’s and they are the only ones I’ve not punctured.

paul4stones

Debating about Smart Sams but probably will use LCs as usual.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

First time here, going to be using LCs, seems like everyone I speak to, including in shops where they actually talk about it rather than call me bonkers, says these are the tyres to use.

Spin
    Free Member

Smart Sams?

paul4stones

After a pinch flat on a rocky descent last night I’ve decided that Smart Sams are possibly too light and gone back to the Landcruisers. They seem to roll slightly better too. I do like the Sams though, just not for the three peaks.

Edric64
    Free Member

Landcruisers ,no punctures 5 completions 16 stone !!!!!!!!!

boxelder

Richpips – I’m always comparatively quicker on the descents, though not got under 4 hours, so not quick.
    Probably lucky.

IanW
    Free Member

I know Schwalbes have a good following but in use I have alway found them really fragile. I’ve had a few sets not sure which now from memory, rockets, racing, ron, ralph and on the road luganos and duranos/ durano plus, but had blow outs galore everywhere from thetford to Wales and the road tyres seem to wear really quickly.

Go for Maxxis now High roller/Larsen/the other fast one cant remember its name and Continental gp4000, 4 season on road.

There good.

winch
    Free Member

I have a 2.4 and if I was into racing and that malarky I wouldn’t hesitate to run it. Yes, you run the risk of puncturing but there ism’t really an alternative to match it in terms of grip and volume for the weight. Great tyre if that’s what you want. A lot like a hans dampf but with a vey thin sidewall and very little puncture protection. Much, much faster though.

boxelder

Don’t think you’d squeeze a 2.4 into any CX frame……… 😕

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rocket Rons for the 3 peaks?’ is closed to new replies.