Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Roadies – how many breaks do you take on a century ride?
  • chojin
    Free Member

If any that is?
    Or do you ride flat out for all the hours you’re in the saddle?

gee
    Free Member

One – for cake and coffee.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

none or 1

gee
    Free Member

None??? Nutter. Surely the point of riding that far is that you can stop for cake?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I cracked my first ton a couple of weeks ago and I had a half hour break at about 60 miles for coffee cake and a dump.

JoB
    Free Member

proper century ride – one for tea and cake, several for pissing in hedges

metric century ride – none for tea and cake, some for pissing in hedges

MrSmith
    Free Member

1 or none. i don’t like stopping, would rather soft pedal and eat than stop or only stop for a pee.

warton
    Free Member

1 or none, maybe a very quick 2nd one for water

druidh
    Free Member

Depends. None if it’s training/sporting/fast paced. Lots and lots if it’s touring/relaxed.

mattsccm
    Free Member

chrikey how boring. I stop half a dozen times for a slash, several times to change layers in the first 5 miles, probably at least once to find somthing to stop the need for something savoury also several times to but liquid. I can’t carry anywhere near enough liquid for the 7 ish hours ~(inlcuding stops)I’ll spend out to do 100 miles. Alright some of those stops may be the same thing but I must also add stopping and looking at the view as well as I am bound to go some where I haven’t been to before.

Bez

In the summer at least one food stop, never ashamed to take at least one more if there’s a particularly tempting cafe.

In the winter generally more. Friday was two coffee and cake stops; the one before that was two chippy stops, a couple of petrol stations and a roadside brew-up.

In my favour, I can do a century on just one piss.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ll normally stop for the loo once but not at the cafe. I can carry enough food but water is a struggle in hot weather so I occasionally stop for that. I try to minimise stopping though so don’t use them to rest as such.

These are proper centuries in miles. For a metric century my feet stay on the pedals the whole way round, no need to stop at all.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Today,just the once.But I did have soup.

Sue_W
    Free Member

On the one and only (so far) century ride that I’ve done I had one cafe stop, a few brief pauses for flapjacks, a couple of pee stops, and one off-licence stop to buy wine … well, I had my panniers and it’s rude to visit friends empty handed 🙂

Ooh! Have just worked out that yesterday’s 70 mike ride = 112 km! That’s more than a metric century (feels well chuffed, and prepares for Monday bragging rights at work …)

In which case for metric centuries, two combined pee and water stops (not simultaneously!), no cafe stop as I’d forgotten to take any money, and one picturesque riverside flapjack stop …

uponthedowns
    Free Member

In a century sportive I’d stop briefly at one of the food stops for water and a pee and maybe scoff some of the cakes or sandwiches if they’re decent. Don’t like stopping as I tend to stiffen up.

oldgit
    Free Member

None unless it’s boiling hot…though that’s rare. Fill up my bottles add tabs and take a quick shower.

wellhung
    Free Member

none

njee20
    Free Member

One – for cake and coffee

+1

samuri
    Free Member

usually 1, just a quick refuelling stop. Somewhere that doesn’t encourage me to hang about like a petrol station.

AlasdairMc

If it’s a metric century, one or two food/water stops. If it’s a century in old money then I’ll generally be doing it at a touring pace so won’t be hurrying, hence several stops including one for cakes somewhere.

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ll stop for a slash or a flat, but both are pretty rare when out. I’m no fan of restarting when i’ve cooled down; just have a blast, clock it off, then go about my day.

pedalhead
    Free Member

just for peeing and faffing with gilets & stuff. Sometimes if I ride past a nice bike shop, I can’t resist…

wingnuts

First – I don’t know a real roadie who calls them century rides! They tend to talk about time and pace or the actual distance.

Second – It depends why you are riding. Training, touring, event. My club fitness rides tend to have a ride that stops for a tea about 2/3s or 10/15 miles from home so that no matter how far you’ve been the group has worked together and those who want to can have a stop or get back. The ride home can be as gentle or hard as without leaving people in the middle of nowhere.

Three – It depends on who you are riding with. The CTC group I also go out with stop at every gate to consider prostate issues and 11s and lunch and tea. But its the countryside and company you go for even on a long ride. My old racing club never stopped for anything except a mechanical on a proper training ride. You could tell if it was going to be proper by the number of drinking bottles they had with them.

qwerty
    Free Member

I did one last summer, I just stopped to pee a fair few times and rearranged my food stash then, popped into a newsagent for water, none were real stops, I think if I sat down for too long my legs would take an age to get going again afterwards, but then I’m not a roadie so whaddaeyeno!

crazy-legs

Usually I like to have just the one cafe stop although I remember a couple of rides where I misjudged the terrain/weather and ended up needing more stops!

One stop makes a nice break without interrupting the ride too much.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Depends on my mood and who I’m riding with, I’ve done a few where I have stopped a fair few times, Quite happy to make a day of it and see a few places/pubs/café’s especially if out with good company.

Not really interested in 100 mile ride (or any ride in fact) where HR or threshold is mentioned.

foxyrider
    Free Member

On my own usually none unless I have a mechanical or can’t eat on the move. In a grp then usually 1 for cake and coffee 🙂

prezet
    Free Member

A few of us did a fixed gear century last summer – think we stopped 2/3 times.

1st break – ice cream at the beach – 15 mins
    2nd break – sarnies, cake and coffee – 30 mins
    3rd break – roadside stop for numb nuts – 5 mins

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

In the days of riding for fitness, none or maybe one for a water refill. That’s for 100 milers.

60m/100km rides used to be one bottle affairs, no food and no stops. But they’d be done in a smidge over 3 hours.

These days, since I’m (a) v unfit and (b) no longer likely to be able to ride as hard, I’ll see what longer ides bring.

qwerty
    Free Member

😯

60m/100km rides used to be one bottle affairs, no food and no stops. But they’d be done in a smidge over 3 hours.

i would die!!!!!!!! – which just goes to show – do whatever feels right for you on the day 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ususaly 1 proper stop for coffee/cake every 2-3 hours on group rides.

On my own stops are usualy limited to buying a pint of milk and a mars bar at slightly longer intervals, anything under 60 miles I won’t stop, over that I’ll probablky break halfway to two thirds of the way round.

If you need to pee every hour you’re drinking too much!

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 pee stops take longer as the hours go by cos your cock shrinks and you have to root around to find it 🙄

themountaingoat
    Free Member

I would only stop for a comfort break so to speak. Refuel on the move!

Shred
    Free Member

I’m still amazed at how little roadies drink. For me I would need to step at least twice to fill up bottles in summer.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

On last years longest ride of 127 miles, we had 3 stops to refill bottles and a further 3 stops for punctures, all in just over 7 1/2 hours in the saddle, finished of with a few beers and a bloody good curry.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Only ever done 100k – ye olde randonee of the Isle of Wight. Two stops minimum. I’m out to enjoy the ride, not prove a point. If I start to feel my morale on the slide, as usually happens at some point on a long (for me) road ride, even on a good day, I’ll stop and wolf down some grub, have a drink and straighten up.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I stop at 100 miles to eat a banana, then turn aorund and head home. Rar.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

For me it’s about five stops, just to stretch my legs, eat some food, put the bike in the shed, shower, and get about ten hours sleep.

gwaelod
    Free Member

What’s wrong with people FFS

stopping for a pee

you ain’t a real roadie unless you can slip your todger out on a long downhill stretch and discharge as you are riding along.

Don’t do it at the front of a chaingang though

stufield
    Free Member

depends on the terrain, fred whit ton is just over 100 miles and i HAD to stop 3 times
    100 miles Arran to penrith – mostly downhill so just for a pee and fill bottles

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – how many breaks do you take on a century ride?’ is closed to new replies.