Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Roadie PSA cheap tubeless rims
  • cookeaa

I’ve just taken delivery of a pair of Ambrosio P20 from Spa cycles. They’re currently £15 each (20 or 24h) in black (including the brake track, most importantly they’re 19mm internal and claim to be Tubeless compatible.

I fancied assembling some new road wheels and wouldn’t mind trying out some tubeless tyres in the not too distant future so figured they’d be worth a whirl for £30 plus some postage…

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I’ll be interested to see how they look
    I was struggling to find something like this last year bought some DT Swiss 460 from Germany in the end

cookeaa

They are completely black (which will of course wear on the brake track with use), with one ‘A’ logo sticker at the join. The brake track is quite pronounced and steps out from the profile so they’re probably not particularly aero, but as a cheap way to build a tubeless wheelset they’ll serve their purpose. Cheapo fleabay front hub ordered, rear hub will probably be an aliexpress novatec, spokes will be ACI from cyclebasket, reckon they’ll cost me circa £80ish once built, VFM wheels are my favourite type…

I think they came on Ambrosio’s ‘i20’ wheelset a couple of years ago if you’re looking for reviews.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Cool , make sure you post pictures when your finished

Northwind

Ooh, I will have to get some of this.

I see they do have the 28H rims also on discount, just not quite as cheap- £35, but it takes it to exactly £50 so you get free postage saving £4, so could still be a good option if you don’t like 24/24.

Northwind

Mine arrived today, just in plastic bags not retail packaging but still in perfect condition and seem really nicely made. The braking track does look and feel a bit weird but I’ll never notice once they’re on the bike I’m sure.

Forgot to weigh them tonight to see if they match the claims but they do feel in the right ballpark.

Northwind

Spot on the claimed weight incidentally. My cheap Pacenti hubs arrived today so tomorrow there’s gonna be a measurin’!

sv

Spa cancelled my order for two rims, saying the postage was too much. Then didn’t reply to my question of how much extra they needed to make it viable.

rOcKeTdOg

not sure i’d fancy tubeless rims with a breaking surface, sure they are designed for it but having seen how neglected normal rims get and how concave and paper thin people let them get i couldn’t be bothered with the constant checking. give me a disc only rim any day

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have thought the rim walls were that much more strained than with tubes? It’s never really occurred to me on my SSCX. I just check the wear marker when I change the pads.

cookeaa

Update, My £9 20h ebay front hub is here (I’m sure it’s reliable and strong enough for my planned radial lacing), My cheapo Novatec special is here, I have the spokes to build the front up, but like a genius I ordered the wrong length for the rear, I’m building another wheelset when I have spare time this week So I might make a start on the front Ambrosio this weekend.

Next question plaguing my mind is what width Rim tape for when I’m done, it’s 19mm internal so should I opt for 21mm for a bit of bead overlap or 25mm to be extra sure (and probably end up with a crinkly mess on the first go)…

Vortexracing

hey tried to deliver my 20hole rim today, but I missed them, should be here tomorrow though 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Roadie PSA cheap tubeless rims’ is closed to new replies.