Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Road rides from Keswick?
  • fatmax

Hi folks
    A few of us heading to the Lakes for a weekend in a fortnight and its a road bike bunch, staying in Newlands just outside Keswick.
    Don’t think everyone is fit enough for something like the Fred Whitton route on the Saturday, so wondered if anyone had any good 50-75 mile road routes that avoid busy roads starting and finishing in Keswick? Perhaps head out over Newlands or Whinlatter Pass and somewhere on the western edge of the Lakes? Any advice appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Fraser

TedC

You could follow the “Back O’ Skiddaw” sportive route, avoids all the big passes (70km, 1100m of climbing per my Garmin). Officialy starts and finishes at the theatre by the lake but anywhere in Keswick would suffice. For a gentle start from Newlands just head into Keswick via Portinscale. For a more chellenging start, head west, up and over to Buttermere, turn right for Whinlatter, left for Honister.

crazy-legs

Another vote for Back O’Skiddaw route, the lanes around there are lovely.

To extend it, keep it anticlockwise and go along the top of Bassenthwaite to Cockermouth then back in over Whinlatter. Just watch the descent off it towards Keswick though!

TomB

I live in Keswick, and would add a vote for a back of Skiddaw ride- from Newlands I’d go up the pass and over to Buttermere, because it’s lovely, then round past Crummock water and through Lorton towards Cockermouth. Take the back road past the hospital and Isel bridge to Castle Inn, then Ullock, Hesket Newmarket, mungrisdale and back on the gated road under Souther fell to Threlkeld and home via Burns/Castlerigg stone circle. Easily lengthened or shortened, but once you’re committed to the back of Skiddaw there aren’t any short cuts. Hilly, with a couple of steep ramps, but not too crazy. That’s a big ride, maybe too much, shorter and easier if start with Whinlatter instead of newlands.

You’ve got to ride honister from buttermere at some point in your stay- that’s the hardest pitch in the immediate area of Keswick.

Avoid A591 and A66 on a weekend, not much fun with traffic.

fatmax

Thanks so much folks.
    I didn’t know about the Back o Skiddaw sportive route, so that or an extended version will be perfect.
    Much appreciated, Fraser

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Road rides from Keswick?’ is closed to new replies.