Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road/Gravel tyres on MTB
  • properbikeco
    Free Member

Looking to repurpose the old 26″ On-One Reetard for a bit of gravel/trekking/go anywhere type riding. Eventual plan is some panniers and return to fully rigid, for now just want to sort tyres for what will probably be 50/50 road/unpaved. Seen quite a few Schwalbe tyres which look good but struggling to decide. Want to make sure whatever I pick is “tough” enough to deal with rough fire roads without puncturing, and also not unneccesary overkill for the road.

Thoughts on Schwalbe City Jet(1.5″), Marathon Plus (1.35″) Big Apple (2.15″) ??

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Summer faves on my Cannondale 26er MTB were Big Apple 2.35. Heavy but rolled fast. Went all over Exmoor on them on and offroad. Can’t see why 2.15s wouldn’t be similarly fun/fast.

Schwalbe Hurricanes similar, with better offroad cornering thanks to knobbly edges. Bit of a frankentyre. I liked them

Land-cruiser 2.0” were pretty successful also on 50/50 but again a little heavy.

Of all I enjoyed the Big Apples most, I like balloon tyres for gravel.

I have 1.10 (28c) Marathon Plus Original (Performance Line Greenguard) on the current tourer and on gravel they are ok (swift and quite springy, grippy, decent protection) but better on the road.

ie volume isn’t really up to long gravel stretches with potholes at speed. I am a seriously fat knacker atm tho. Thinking of going up to 35c (1.35) which I predict would be nigh on perfect for gnarly country lanes, towpaths, unadopted streets, commons and fire-roads which is my typical riding these days

matt_outandabout

I’ve a brand new pair of wire bead 26″ Schwalbe Marathon tyres on the shed you can have for postage….

properbikeco
    Free Member

Hi Matt, what width are they? That is a very kind offer

tjagain

conti contact travel. I use them in 1.75 width on my utility bike and 2″ on the tandem – superb tyres. Virtually puncture proof, fast on roads, good enough off road for gravel riding. Lots of grip on tarmac and not dead heavy and draggy like marathons

But free marathons?

Raouligan
    Free Member

Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass are lovely would entirely recommend now they’re doing a tougher casing!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

From the 26″ tyres available ~10 years ago, I’d go with a Landcruiser up front (for grip and reduced risk of non-recoverable slip) and a Big Apple on the rear for comfort.

scotroutes

If you can find Marathon Mondials in 26″ then I’d recommend them. I’ve used the 29″ version for some on/off-road bikepacking trips. They have an excellent reputation which appears to be well deserved.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Hi matt, how do I contact you about this? I’d like to take you up on your offer, thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road/Gravel tyres on MTB’ is closed to new replies.