Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Road bike with wide rims and mudguard friendly – help!
  • cinnamon_girl

Any suggestions for some sort of road bike/cx bike that will take wide tyres and mudguards. Disc brakes would be nice although that makes it expensive.

My thinking is that in this weather a bike that will take rough pot-holed roads could be an alternative to the mtb. Not for use off road.

Thanks very much in anticipation. 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Dawes Galaxy. You are describing a touring bike.
    I don’t understand the belief that road bikes won’t cope with pot-holed roads.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks aP. I had a nasty accident on my racer so am nervous. Had a quick look at Dawes and their tyre width goes up to 32, I noticed that some CX bikes went up to 38.

It wouldn’t get used for touring as such, more a couple of hours when it’s too silly as it is right now for the mtb.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Salsa Vaya?
    I run 40mm Clements on mine.
    Granted, not a road bike, but a bike that can be ridden on the road…

TiRed

Marathon Plus 25C tyres and some SKS Raceblade Long mudguards on your current bike are all you need. If you want something a little faster, Durano Plus 25C are fine too.

Remarkably, a new bike need not be the answer 😉

timbur
    Free Member

Kinesis Tripster would look after you well.

jameso

25s are ok, but ime 35c+ is a lot more comfy on some of the broken up lanes and opens up those byway cut-throughs that can make winter road rides more interesting at times.
    If a bike is non-race orientated and has discs it should take 35C or more with guards otherwise a real advantage of disc is missed. Many canti or mini-V equipped bikes will also take 32-35C and guards.

So, most CX bikes and a few road-disc models.

TiRed

A CX bike will still handle like a tourer though 😉 You could also try Duranos in 28c if you have the clearance. But the SKS mudguards are very good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most cx bikes.

aP
    Free Member

My Trek Portland does all the above. unfortunately it handles like a Trek.

Vortexracing

How tall are you CG?

My frame is up for sale, it takes 28 tyres and guards easily

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-%e2%80%93-hewitt-carbon-alpine-frame-and-forks-%e2%80%93-piccies-7

Rack mounts as well, just in case you fancy a bit of light touring.

Ignore the price it’s negotiable

Not disc though, Sorry.

jameso

A CX bike will still handle like a tourer though

I’m generalising and I know what you mean, but average HA of CX bike is 72-72.5 degrees, std fork offset, 425mm stays, vs a tourer with ~450mm stays and a a heavier steel F+F + front end geometry for carrying a load? Quite different bikes imo.

A CX bike will usually handle similarly to an audax bike, ideal for winter road use imo. But I’m not aware of many audax-style road bikes that can take a 32-35c unless they have cantis/discs.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks again, all good stuff. 8)

Racer only takes 23’s as I found out when I bought some 25’s, definitely no mudguards.

Can I ask about cx tyres – some are 35c so how does this compare to, say, 23’s? Do cx tyres use a different measurement?

Kenisis Tripster looking interesting as are the Genesis Bikes.

Vortex – I’m 5’5″ so your frame won’t be big enough, my racer is a 52. Your Enigma looks lovely though. 🙂

Edit: I do fancy having a go at touring at some point and really not sure whether I should be taking that into account now. Thoughts?

Thanks. 🙂

Vortexracing

fair enough, I’m 5ft 4″, but with short legs.

The Hewitt by the way is 52cm top tube

cynic-al
    Free Member

35c = 35mm or so.

Most cx tyres are knobbly. You can get slicks in these widths.

scotroutes

If you fancy touring anyway then you have your answer.

FWIW, my Amazon easily accomodates 35mm tyres and I reckon it would do 42mm at least.

TiRed

Your bike will take the Raceblade Long mudguards – they don’t go under the brakes. For tyres, however, you are indeed stuck.

cinnamon_girl

scotroutes – I remember seeing a pic of your very nice VN Amazon. Can’t justify another Ti but, believe me, I would absolutely love one for touring. 😀

Oh well, back to researching!

solarider
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium Disc.

Ticks all of those boxes.

tang
    Free Member

My kinisis pro 6 fits that bill pretty well.

IanW
    Free Member

Surly cross check/straggler 42mm, Genesis Cdf 35mm, Kona Sutra 42mm, some of the disc road bikes look like they also have massive clearance but I’m not sure the standard spec wheels would take big tyres.

It does seem like the resurgence in cycling has resulted in people buying road “race” bikes and findin there not what you really need for getting about most of the time.

In the absence of any modern versions of the 1950-80 Raleigh design ( which is still the best for general purpose use) the Kona Sutra seems to tick most boxes I need.

And they make cool adverts http://vimeo.com/78385474

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got 35s in my Specialized Secteur Disc. Obviously a road bike but it’s quite happy on the half-mile of rough cart tracks I have to ride before hitting pot-holed gravel strewn tarmac.

lunge

In typical STW recommend what you own style, now about a Planet-X Kaffenback? Disk brakes, will take up to 32mm ish tyres, rack and guard mounts and not too expensive either. I love mine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not sure the standard spec wheels would take big tyres.

They will – I run 29er tyres on narrow road rims.

This works, but is of course unfashionable, and makes no difference at road tyre pressures.

julianwilson
    Free Member

To add to the above, the Giant/Liv Invite has massive clearances (even 35mm cross tyres look lost in it), disc brakes and mudguard/rack eyelets. Not light with cross tyres, 11-32 cheapo cassette, disc hubs and disc brakes though. My wife is a right fusspot/snob about big bike brands and still plumped for a giant. The most expensive one is a grand and has tiagra (well, oem identical to latest 10sp tiagra but painted black for some reason) and bb7’s.

If it was me and i could afford it, I would be getting a salsa vaya though.

haibikeboy
    Free Member

Eastway ST1.0 will take 35mm tyres with proper mudguards easily. You could go up to 40mm tyre on the front. Good quality canti brakes and reynolds steel frame.
    Be a bit careful with sizing as the are on the big side. Just seen a used one on the bay . item 321314987916

irc

Fully equipped tourer for £380. Mudguards, rear rack, 700x32mm tyres.

Well worth it for a bad roads and bad weather bike.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-country-traveller-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles

marka.
    Free Member

Definitely consider tourers rather than the much cooler CX bikes. My wife got a CX bike with 32mm tyres and mudguards and it was… ok. It was fiddly, fidgety, had lots of toe overlap and the gearing was definitely more race than pootle.

She now has a tourer. Much happier. Calmer handling and of course takes bike tyres and mudguards (and panniers).

Depending on the bike, you can also get triple chainsets which aren’t cool but get you everywhere.

Tourers can cost a lot, but then they tend to come with all the extras (guards, racks, perhaps even dynamo).

Edric64
    Free Member

Dawes Galaxy. You are describing a touring bike.
    I don’t understand the belief that road bikes won’t cope with pot-holed roads

This,I rode a bog standard Galaxy on the 3 peaks cyclocross I was 16 stone and nothing broke

flap_jack
    Free Member

non-knobblies on your MTB ? Much cheaper…

daleftw
    Free Member

No mention of a Croix de Fer?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member
    cozz
    Free Member

I bought a genesis day one alfine for these sorts of duties

MoreCashThanDash

Pinnacle Arkrose – various versions, not sure on specs this year, but plenty of threads if you search on here

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the helpful replies with suggestions. 8) My head now well and truly hurts with researching.

In the meantime I’ll switch my wheels as that will be better than riding on tarmac with Winter tyres. This is the one time when tubeless isn’t such a great idea!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Road bike with wide rims and mudguard friendly – help!’ is closed to new replies.