Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Road Bike Shimano/Campag compatibility question
  • mboy
    Free Member

OK, so I know technically this “works”, but does it work well…?

My main road bike runs Ultegra R8050 Di2. I have just got some wheels to fit to it but they have a Campag freehub. I have a spare Campag Chorus 11spd cassette lying around that I can stick on there. Bike is running a KMC X11-93 chain, so no issues there.

My biggest concern is that will the Di2 index perfectly with the spacing on the 11spd Chorus cassette, or will it be ever so slightly off? I appreciate that Mechanical Ultegra may be less of an issue, but this is what I am working with.

And yes, I could change the freehub body to a Shimano… But it’s a Chris King R45 hub, and a spare freehub body is a whole lot more expensive (and I’m skint right now for reasons I won’t go into!) than running the Chorus cassette that I already have spare…

mboy
    Free Member

Anyone…?

simondbarnes

Given that you have all of the parts you could have had an answer to this yourself yesterday.

It will kind of work, it won’t work as well as a full shimano system, depends on how fussy you are. I wouldn’t even consider doing it. Campag cassettes don’t even have equal spacing between all of the cogs.

crazybaboon

Campag 11 speed cassettes run fine with 11 speed shimano, I use a 10 speed only powetap hub with a campag free hub to enable it to run with 11 speed shimano

mboy
    Free Member

Given that you have all of the parts you could have had an answer to this yourself yesterday.

I’m one of those annoying people that not only hasn’t been furloughed, but their job is keeping them incredibly busy right now and spare time is not only limited, it’s sacred (you don’t 2 guesses where this is being typed from!)… So far I’ve had enough spare time to put some tyres on the new wheels and inflate them!

Was asking for feedback more on long term use and performance rather than “will it work at a push”… I know it’ll work at a push, but will it work fine for the life of the cassette?

Thank you crazybaboon… I had suspected as such but it’s always helpful to hear from those that have done it longer term.

TiRed

11spd Shimano and Campag are (finally) interchangeable. Will be fine. I’ve lent my Shimano wheels out to clubmates for long tours and Paris Roubaix without incident.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Shimano/Campag compatibility question’ is closed to new replies.