Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road bike newbie, recommend me a small, cheap, effective pump..
  • Simon

Just got myself a road bike to commute on when my usual route across the moor is too muddy.
    Need some recommendations for a decent, cheap mini pump and a bag for under the saddle for a spare tube, levers and multitool.
    What’s good and what should I avoid?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pump – Lezyne road drive
    Saddle bag – Arundle Uno can squeeze a tube, multitool and tyre levers in (if you saw the hooked ends off)

davidjey
    Free Member

Small, cheap, effective, pick two.

I’ve got a Blackburn Airstik Anyvalve – very cheap, reasonably effective, not very small. But then I like to just leave a pump mounted to the frame of the road bike (one less thing to put in pockets, and one less thing to FORGET to put in pockets…).

Saddlebag – small topeak aero wedge will do a tiny multitool, two road tubes and two tyres levers, and again lives on the bike at all times.

jemima
    Free Member

Another shout for Lezyne road drive pump here. Also use one of their saddle bags which is grand.

mooman
    Free Member

Lezyne road drive here too.

Bazz

I’d go for a small CO2 inflator with a couple of cartridges and a small pump for back up, i’ve a small topeak one. Planet X do a pretty good small saddle bag for less than a fiver i think.

Freester

May I add the Topeak Mini Morph into the mix?

Simon

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
    I’ve got a box full of threaded CO2 cartridges so an inflator plus small pump or a combined pump/inflator could be an option.

bluebird
    Free Member

You can’t get much smaller than this for a pump.

bob_summers

Road Drive’s been really good for me. One caveat, if your valve core is removeable and not properly tight, the Road Drive will extract it when you unscrew the pump, letting your 100 hard-won PSI back out into the atmosphere.

Doesn’t happen now I’m aware of it, but it has when I’ve lent my pump out on a club ride…

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have an Airwave Cyclone pump that works very well. It fits in either my Carradice saddle bag or the Rapha tool roll.

Simon

bluebird – Member
    You can’t get much smaller than this for a pump.

A Microflate Nano lives in my Camelbak, I’ll take it out and use it on the road until I get something else.

abatty

It’s difficult to know until you’ve fitted it, but I have to avoid any small saddlebag that has a Velcro fixing around the seatpost as my inner thighs rub against it and start to destroy expensive bib-shorts! I’ve therefore found a Scicon saddle bag works a treat – and no it hasn’t fallen off yet, even though most of my riding is on cratered Hampshire back lanes.

ransos
    Free Member

Lezyne, HOWEVER: they do have a habit of unscrewing valve cores if they weren’t done up tight to start with – yes Continental, I’m looking at you.

You really don’t want a valve core firing off at 100psi just before starting an Alpine sportive…

Simon

😆 I’ll bear that in mind!

mrblobby
    Free Member

If it’s commuting may want to get a bigger pump and frame mount it (or mount it to the bottle cage). As aesthetically displeasing as it might be, I think you can probably get away with it on a commuter, and you will be grateful for something that can inflate tyres without a bazillion strokes on a cold dark winter commute.

cheers_drive

The Lenzyne, but make sure your valve cores a screwed in tight or it could be a very frustrating experience.
    If you have a
    Lenzyne multitool you can use the nipple key on that to do the core up tight.

Simon

It’s difficult to know until you’ve fitted it, but I have to avoid any small saddlebag that has a Velcro fixing around the seatpost as my inner thighs rub against it and start to destroy expensive bib-shorts

Won’t be a problem ‘cos I’ll be wearing baggies over knee warmers:-) For now at least….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road bike newbie, recommend me a small, cheap, effective pump..’ is closed to new replies.