Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • RM Thunderbolt shock aircan service
  • cheekysprocket

Been stopped in my tracks servicing the Fox Float DPS aircan on a mate’s Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt. Usefully, the bearings are integral to the lower mount bushings, and so the whole enchilada needs removing in order to get the aircan off. I’ve tried degreasing the housings and softjaws of the vice, in order to grip better for gently wiggling them out, heating the aircan eye, and soaking the junction with penetrating oil (not in that order, obvs), to no avail.

I’m stumped. There must be another way other than drifting the bearings out, and then drifting the housings out from inside. A bit excessive for a 30 hour quick maintenance job, surely.

Any ideas/experiences?

(Will upload a pic if I can figure out how.)

cheekysprocket

Wow. That’s helpful 🙄 something else to try figure out tonight. Grrr.

bigyan
    Free Member

Those are annoying for doing an air can service.

If they are not too tight then I clamp the bearing housing in an aluminium shaft clamp in the vice, gently rotate the shock forward and backward slightly and pull up to remove, you can then repeat for the other side or use a socket or similar to push the second side out.

Depends how tight they are and what tools you have, you could use a blind puller, you could tap them out with a punch etc ultimately they need to come out.

cheekysprocket

Ta bigyan. I did just that. When I said softjaws, I meant a Park Tool aluminium shaft clamp what goes in a vice. May try lining it with some inner tube for extra grip. Failing that, I’ll get on the blower to TF Tuned. They’re usually dead helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘RM Thunderbolt shock aircan service’ is closed to new replies.