• This topic has 9,864 replies, 357 voices, and was last updated 1 minute ago by zomg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 9,865 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • frankconway

Sunak’s letter states the investigation has been completed and zahawi has seen the conclusions.
    EDIT: if so, why did zahawi not offer to resign?
    This allows sunak to claim he has acted decisively; ha!

kimbers

Haha, times were reporting that some tories were expecting him to be cleared

But they were also saying he’d misled Simon case

crazy-legs

Zahawi sacked.

It’s OK, he’ll be re-appointed in a couple of weeks as “the best person to lead the party forwards” or more new information coming to light about him really not meaning to accidentally put those millions into an offshore account instead of HMRC’s account or the next Party Chairman being even worse…

The whole bunch of them are utterly corrupt to the core.

DT78
    Free Member

agree. he is guilty of getting caught. what about the rest of them with millions squirreled away so they don’t pay their fair share of tax

is labour just as guilty or are they a bit smarter at not getting busted by the press?

tjagain

Having been sacked that will make it much harder to reappoint him as he has not “done the honorable thing” although my guess is its a sacking to make Sunak look tough not that Zahawi refused to resign

As for labour – some of the same behaviour no doubt at all but its generally on a much smaller scale.  Cooper is one who has consistently bent the rules to get rich but labour folk it tends to be in thousands not millions

jonnyboi

ooh, it’s schadenfreude Sunday.

Raab next please

kimbers

Somehow he’s still an innocent victim 🙄

BillMC

Is there a ‘clean skin’ to replace him? Bit of a challenge that.

ransos
    Free Member

Is there a ‘clean skin’ to replace him? Bit of a challenge that.

Priti Patel?

ernielynch

is labour just as guilty or are they a bit smarter at not getting busted by the press?

No Labour aren’t smarter imo. And a hostile press will always go through the affairs of politicians which they oppose with a fine tooth comb.

The story that Zahawi had agreed to pay several million pounds in tax to settle a dispute with HMRC was actually originally broken by the Sun on Sunday.

I don’t know if it was the result of investigative journalism by the Sun on Sunday or someone tipped them off. Nor do I know their motivation behind their decision to publish.

It could have been simply because they felt it was an important exclusive story which would help to sell their paper. In which case I suspect they were tipped off rather than an example of investigative journalism – I can’t imagine that the edit of the Sun on Sunday felt that it is the sort of scandal which their readers are so interested in reading about on a Sunday morning that it justify much effort uncovering.

Or it could be because the Murdoch owned title has decided to help the Opposition by uncovering and publishing a negative story about the Tories.

It is now all but certain that Labour will be in government in about 18 months time, Rupert Murdoch is well-known for liking to back winners – it helps to exaggerate the influence which he holds and creates the impression that he is owed favours. Political leaders are scared of Murdoch, if he can claim a role in bringing down a senior politician it will re-enforce that fear.

jimw
    Free Member

I see that Rees-Mogg has suggested a certain Mr. B Johnson should be the next party chairman.

intheborders
    Free Member

There’s nothing like a bit of feel good factor to defuse nationalist sentiment.

So we’ll be all feeling good within a couple of years?

Do you seriously believe that the current clusterf**k is fixable in a few years – you think that, for example, we’ll suddenly be producing twice as many cars as currently, and then selling them – are we joining the SM & CU on Day One, are we re-joining the EU on Day Two, or is it some economic miracle I’m unaware of?

ernielynch

It is interesting how on a forum which is so clearly hostile towards the current Tory government, and blames it for so much, there are still people who feel that the Tories merely have a marginal and insignificant effect.

A Labour government should represent a very positive and significant change. If you doubt that then I can’t say that I entirely blame you.

crazy-legs

I see that Rees-Mogg has suggested a certain Mr. B Johnson should be the next party chairman.

What an excellent suggestion. Count on JRM to speak sense, capture the mood of the nation and to select such a beacon of professionalism to chair the party.

martinhutch

Doubt he’d want it, lots of hassle involved, no real power, although full access to party donors would be attractive.

kelvin

A Labour government should represent a very positive and significant change.

15 years of damage can’t be undone in 5. That’s a very challenging message for Labour… stopping the downward spiral the UK is currently in would be positive and significant change… but not being able to turn everything around before re-election will no doubt risk people with short memories turning back to the Conservatives, or even more likely to underestimate how important it is to keep them out and not bother voting.

dazh

Do you seriously believe that the current clusterf**k is fixable in a few years

Of course not. But people will feel much better knowing the tories are gone and we have a govt which at least seems to want to fix these problems. There will be some quick wins. We can be fairly confident that money will start flowing into the NHS and care sector and the problems we see now will begin to improve. There will be quick resolution to public sectore strikes through improved pay deals. Local councils will be given a lot more money and people will be able to see things local to them improving. There’s a whole load of stuff like that which is easily doable in one term.

are we joining the SM & CU on Day One, are we re-joining the EU on Day Two, or is it some economic miracle I’m unaware of?

The UK govt has enormous power to generate economic growth through it’s own investment and policies. Having a more cooperative trading relationship with the EU would be beneficial, but it’s not the be all and end all. The question is whether Starmer and the Labour party have the political courage to do what is required.

ernielynch

15 years of damage can’t be undone in 5.

Yeah except that hasn’t been suggested by anyone.

Daz suggested that there might be “a bit of feel good factor” with the election of a Labour government.

This was challenged. It was suggested instead that there would be no feel good factor.

Presumably based on the belief that a Labour government would not inspire confidence of very positive and significant change.

tjagain

Dazh suggested that in relation to Scotland.  I’ll bet there is no such effect here considering all the things the vast majority of Scots want are explicitly ruled out.  There is also no movement in the polls SNP – Labour ( there is tory to labour as they are fighting over the unionist / brexiteer vote) nor any decrease in support for independence.  the idea that the election of a tory lite government will change public sentiment here seems somewhat farfetched.  But Dazh has made it clear he thinks Scotland both unimportant and he is uninterested so why he makes such sweeping statements seems odd to me

Its about perspective and the view from here is different.  Yes a labour government will be a bit better.  No it will not come anywhere close to meeting the aspirations of the scots people so will not put any significant dent in support for independence

kimbers

The story that Zahawi had agreed to pay several million pounds in tax to settle a dispute with HMRC was actually originally broken by the Sun on Sunday.

I don’t know if it was the result of investigative journalism by the Sun on Sunday or someone tipped them off. Nor do I know their motivation behind their decision to publish.

Good timeline of the investigations here by the lawyer that’s been looking into this for some time

Ft, indy, guardian, times been investigating him for a while

It is interesting that SoS published the scoop on his settlement

dazh

But Dazh has made it clear he thinks Scotland both unimportant and he is uninterested

On the contrary, I think Scotland is massively important which is why I don’t want it to leave the UK, for much of the same reasons as the EU didn’t want the UK to leave. I’ve also said many times that I believe leaving the UK would be very damaging to Scotland and all the people who live there, and I don’t want to see that happen. We can see now what happens when a country cuts links with it’s largest trading partner, so I’m genuinely surprised that many in Scotland are so enthusiastic about leaving the UK.

ernielynch

Dazh suggested that in relation to Scotland. I’ll bet there is no such effect here…

Bleedin ‘ell mate, you are all over the place! Yesterday you seemed to suggest that Scottish nationalists would welcome a Labour government, when I said that I suspected a fair few might not. To the point where I conceded and said:

If you reckon that all Scottish nationalists will be cock-a-hoop at a Labour landslide victory next general election then that’s great.

Now today you are suggesting that whether there is a Labour government or Tory government probably makes no difference to Scotland.

But Dazh has made it clear he thinks Scotland both unimportant and he is uninterested….

I think the issue is your exaggerated importance of Scotland with regards to UK politics. I have no idea why you think everyone should care that much about Scotland, you constantly bring up it up on all political threads. The population of Greater London is over 3 million larger than Scotland’s, how often is London discussed?

oldnpastit

A Labour government should represent a very positive and significant change. If you doubt that then I can’t say that I entirely blame you.

Wait, what?

If Labour is just going to be the same as Tory, but with higher taxes, I shall vote Tory at the next election. At least with them there is the entertainment factor of wondering which one is going to be next to wind up in jail.

kimbers

Seen quite a few tory supporters saying Lee Anderson needs to be in cabinet, even party chair 😂😂😂😂

ernielynch

At least with them there is the entertainment factor of wondering which one is going to be next to wind up in jail.

I don’t think any Tory politician has ended up in jail for over 20 years. Not since Jonathan Aitken.

Edit: Today’s bad boys are lightweights…… the best they can manage is Fixed Penalty Notices.

tjagain

Erie – wisnae me that brought it up again 🙂

No What I said would be basically indifferent.    Prefer labour to tory at westminster but the overall reaction will be meh!  Very few in Scotland outside of die hard tories will prefer a tory government but a labour one will not generte much enthusiasm

Dazh – perhaps you could try to understand a little about scots politics then 🙂

tjagain

Anyway – back on the delightful sidehow that is the tories tearing themselves apart.

What the next anti Sunak leak going to be?  Its clear the leaks that he knew more about Zahawi and earlier came from a differnt faction in the party to damage Sunak.  What next?

ernielynch

would be basically indifferent. Prefer labour to tory at westminster but the overall reaction will be meh!

Why do you moan about Tory governments so much then?

Dazh – perhaps you could try to understand a little about scots politics then

He says after apparently being oblivious to the effects of a Tory government on Scotland.

binners

What next?

The report into multiple bullying cases (are we up to 30 now?) against the deputy PM and yet more questions about Sunaks wisdom with that particular appointment too

tjagain

Aye – and Johnson in front of the privileges committee.  Next set of leaks?  who has more dirt on who?  I expect someone to leak more info about what Sunak knew when

crazy-legs

The report into multiple bullying cases (are we up to 30 now?) against the deputy PM and yet more questions about Sunaks wisdom with that particular appointment too

Surely it’s got well past the point where no matter who Sunak appoints to what role, there’ll be some dirt on that person somewhere. They’re all horrible people, they’re all corrupt to some degree.

It’s like asking if you want elephant shit or rhino shit in your sandwich for the day. You’re still getting a shit sandwich.

tjagain

There may be a few clean ones around – but they are not daft enough to join the shower in cabinet is my guess.  Certainly anyone with any sense is in hiding

oldnpastit

It is probably very hard to find someone to be an MP who is simultaneously honest, believes wholeheartedly in the Boris vision for Brexit, and can be safely put in front of a camera.

kimbers

Johnson purged the sensible ones when he forced them to vote for his Brexit deal: either they were bonkers enough to believe it would work or cynical /corrupt enough to know it was terrible for the country & went for it anyway.

A tory wipeout would be interesting, a whole new host of MPs would they go full Tea Party/ Trump or would the more traditional style tories come back?

stumpyjon

To be honest I don’t care anymore, i was very invested in the downfall of Boris and the unbelievable Trusster Cluck but im beyond bored now as I suspect are the majority of the population. The only thing I’m interested in now is the next election, I have no faith that the system, either political or legal, will hold any of them to account.

tjagain

Full text of the letter from the investigator is now on the grauniad website.  Its pretty damning

MSP

A tory wipeout would be interesting, a whole new host of MPs would they go full Tea Party/ Trump or would the more traditional style tories come back?

I think it depends on Labour actually working for the whole country rather than the oligarchs, I think Starmer could go either way. Populism needs to seed on fertile ground, 40 years of neoliberalism has created that fertile ground, reversing that trend is key in beating populism.

binners

would they go full Tea Party/ Trump or would the more traditional style tories come back?

The ‘traditional’ one-nation Tory party doesn’t exist any more. Brexit killed it and Johnson finished the job with his purge of Brexit non-believers

The ludicrous betrayal narrative they’ve been busy nurturing for the last few years mean that any electoral defeat will be blamed squarely on not being Brexity/anti EU/right wing enough.

My money would be on them electing a totally unhinged ERG fruitloop as leader – Braverman or Badenoch – and for them to March off to the far right reaches of borderline fascism

The complete takeover of the party by those who ten years ago were considered just a fringe minority of headbangers would then be complete

The whole thing sacrificed on the alter of the monstrous ego of Boris Johnson and his Brexit opportunism. The ultimate irony being that he never even believed in it anyway

The only thing I’m interested in now is the next election

Absolutely this. This lot are done. Everyone knows it. It’s just a case of how long they limp on for before the inevitable. The entire country is sick to death of being at the mercy of the internal bickering of Tory factions, while everything turns to shit

MoreCashThanDash

The BBC will shortly be apologising for showing a fan at the Wrexham v Sheffield United game holding up a cutout FA Cup clearly marked “**** the Tories” 🤣

binners

And the crowd are loudly chanting it now 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 9,865 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.