Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
  • CountZero

Apparently found dead in his apartment, aged 46. Shame, he was a really good actor.

Bregante

One of my favorite actors.
    Rarely a bad film made with Philip Seymour Hoffman in it?
    Shocked to say the least.

RIP

skiboy
    Free Member

blimey, shame indeed !

it’s a funny old world

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Wikipedia has been updated already. 😯

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Fantastic in Capote. What a shame.

matther01
    Free Member

Bloody hell and only 46…tragic waste as usual.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh, that is indeed a shame. One of the finest actors of his generation.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in a New York City apartment of an apparent drug overdose … TMZ has learned authorities found a needle in his arm.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ … the actor was found Sunday morning inside of his Greenwich apartment … and they’re still on scene investigating.

Details surrounding his death are unclear … but the actor had struggled with drug problems … most recently checking himself into a rehab facility for heroin back in May.

As we previously reported … Hoffman had been clean for 23 years but fell off the wagon in 2012.

Story developing …

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2sByyIgxk

MrOvershoot

Bloody hell, it proves the drugs don’t work 🙁

46 ? I’m no male model but being 2 years older look a lot younger.

Spin
    Free Member

Very sad.

If he wasn’t before he is now the finest actor of his generation.

deluded
    Free Member

Saddened to hear this. A fine, fine actor.

Pigface
    Free Member

Very sad, how many amazing talents have been lost to drugs, change that to how many people have been lost to drugs. Glad they never really appealed to me.

derekfish
    Free Member

Tragedy. He carried many a crap film, wish I could remember the title but he’s playing one on one basketball really badly and then blagging an interview for Ben Stillers Character in a really comic role playing an ex child star making a reality video of himself. Funny film, well the bits he did.

Edric64
    Free Member

I saw this chaps picture and didnt know who he was or what he had been in ,still a shame .I dont watch many films though

scotroutes

I’m almost 10 years older and look a lot younger!

Great actor but if that’s what drugs do to you, stay away kids!

brakes
    Free Member

real shame, incredible character actor

twistedpencil

An amazing actor, apart from roller girl 😉 he was the best actor on Boogie Nights. RIP fella, 46 is way too young.

Marge
    Free Member

“I’ve just sharted”

JAG

Great actor and a fine human being no doubt.

He was also EXACTLY 1 week older than me according to Wikipedia 😀

thecaptain
    Free Member

Amazed to find out he was hardly older than me – thought he must have been around 60!

stu1972
    Free Member

Very sad.

Played a good part in The Talented Mr Ripley.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sad. Sad. Sad.

My favourite:

Klunk
    Free Member

i’m sandy lyle

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-i3ECq-LO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

clubber
    Free Member

That is rather a shame. I wonder why this seems to happen to famous people so often – money and easy access to drugs?

JAG – Member
    Great actor and a fine human being no doubt.

He was also EXACTLY 1 week older than me according to Wikipedia

And, out of interest, what’s your mother’s maiden name? 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

A talented guy. Awful way to go.
    But how many other poor sods die each day with a needle in their arm society thinks they’re “bloody junkies”. If you are famous death by drugs seems “acceptable”
    The death of Heath Ledger was dealt with the same by the media.
    Drug addiction is an illness if you’re famous or not. I just feel that the label given to Jo Bloggs who injected himself drunk in a party 5 years ago means he is treated as scum by joe public even though he’s trying to go though rehab.
    If he made a movie he’d be classed as “cool”

bomberman
    Free Member

I loved this guy, it’s really sad. I think a lot of brilliant people probably have stuff going on in the background especially famous creative people – actors, musicians etc. Must be hard to deal with fame like that. I imagine when you’re up in lights and on the big screen and on posters everywhere it’s be like having an alter-ego and if you’re having a bad day because of real life you’re still expected to get out of bed and perform for the masses. Must be quite lonely. Kenneth Williams is another classic example.

What a shame 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

Crushing defeat 🙁 . I never saw the guy do a single mediocre performance, even in the slightly crappy films his screen presence really shone out. He will definitely be sorely missed!

Trimix
    Free Member

Every day in the United States, 105 people die as a result of drug overdose, and another 6,748 are treated in emergency departments for the misuse or abuse of drugs. Nearly 9 out of 10 poisoning deaths are caused by drugs.

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/overdose/facts.html

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

jeez, how old did he look in his photos? 46? looking more like 50-60. must have been a hard paper round in dat der greenwich village.

good actor, made some good films, shame we loose so many good to their addictions.

BoardinBob

He carried many a crap film, wish I could remember the title but he’s playing one on one basketball really badly and then blagging an interview for Ben Stillers Character in a really comic role playing an ex child star making a reality video of himself. Funny film, well the bits he did.

Along Came Polly

Actually quite funny, and he was excellent in it, at his creepy, sleazy best.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m with Marge for my predominant memory of his acting. The best bit was that him sharting was a major plot driver in the film whose name I’ve forgotten.
    RIP fella

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

A talented guy. Awful way to go.
    But how many other poor sods die each day with a needle in their arm society thinks they’re “bloody junkies”. If you are famous death by drugs seems “acceptable”
    The death of Heath Ledger was dealt with the same by the media.
    Drug addiction is an illness if you’re famous or not. I just feel that the label given to Jo Bloggs who injected himself drunk in a party 5 years ago means he is treated as scum by joe public even though he’s trying to go though rehab.
    If he made a movie he’d be classed as “cool”

Maybe but Im pretty sure he didnt steal anybodys bike/car stereo to pay for his drugs.

Drug addiction is an illness

Is it really, like alcoholism, gambling addiction and obesity or like a proper non self inflicted illness.

When I lived in Edinburgh I knew lots of “bloody junkies”. Society labels them as such because most of them are. No problem with drug use its a personal choice but when you choice affects others I have no sympathy.

DezB
    Free Member

Sad.

Brilliant in Almost Famous as Lester Bangs
    Recently watched “State and Main”, which should be a boring film, but he carries it (along with Willam H Macy)

ant0463
    Free Member

Such a tragedy. Earliest movie I can recall seeing him in would be Twister in the 90’s. Okay, maybe not an Oscar winning role but he played quite a dude.

Overdose though… Not the kind of way anyone wants to be remembered I’d expect. RIP.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman’ is closed to new replies.