Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • 10 things every mountain biker should have done?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Omissions?

#1 Repacking a bottom bracket on the Devil’s Staircase with vegetarian pate.

[video]http://vimeo.com/80735548[/video]

scotroutes

#2 wading barefoot through meltwater pushing/carrying your bike.

igm

Does it suggest checking the QR is in the closed position?

Done ’em, with the exception of ride to the sea.

More seriously, take your child out on your bike (preferably on an alpine downhill), teach your child to ride, build your child’s bike – they seem like omissions.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

#4 Unfreezing the rear mech with yer ain pish.

yunki
    Free Member

meet up in a remote car park for a dawn duel with a fellow STWer after an online argument about maintenance schedules

Simon

Broken some bones in a crash.

dantsw13

Nice list – only missing a race. I agree with the broken bones too!!

fasthaggis

Ride across a frozen Loch 🙂

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Nothing there really about shared experiences with others, other than the race, which funnily enough is the only one I haven’t done.

*Participated in a ride involving the mandatory use of a rope.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ride across a frozen Loch

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Is that Loch Leven? We skied across a few winters ago – Maybe 2010?

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀 pretty sure it was vegan.

fasthaggis

I am not a jealous person,and really don’t have many biking regrets,but when the you posted that photo years ago of riding across Loch Leven ,my first thought was “you lucky bar steward,I wish I had thought of that”.

😀

edit > don’t know if I would have been brave enough< edit 😉

stavromuller
    Free Member

igm – done your suggestions
    stuartie c – cooled my brakes wi my ain pish
    simon – broken plenty of bones

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is that Loch Leven? We skied across a few winters ago – Maybe 2010?

Yes, Loch Leven in 2010. We rode almost the full length of it from Kinoss east. No more than a hundred yards from the shore. The ice was a foot thick.

Did you go right across?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, it was this stuff. Organic too, the Captain would have approved.

Fasthaggis, we tried to ride the trail, but it was frozen and rutted. It seemed the obvious choice. When we were kids we used to go skating under the moonlight on a hill top curling pond. We would light a fire on the ice too.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Not right across, we headed out from Kirkgate, past the castle island towards St Serfs. We did it at night and it was quite eerie. The ice was super thick, but eventually we turned back as we didn’t want to run out of battery power, and didn’t want to miss the all-you-can-eat at the Indian. I suspect there was some open water further east – I don’t know why, but I think I once saw an aerial photo, or maybe one from one of the hills that made me think this.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Vegie pate in the BB? Pffft!

Try lithium grease on yer oatcakes!

andrewh
    Free Member

You’re brave, that’s a big loch!
    Fixed a broken rear mech using only an allen key, a stone, a dock-leaf and your teeth (oddly enough I did this in Bridge of Earn, not from the loch pictured above)

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

LOL – I’ve fixed a faulty singlespeed with a piece of rotten fencepost, and once stripped the bark off a green branch and threaded it through a set of riser bars with a crack on the bend which “winked” as the bike was ridden. This was not my bike BTW, and my advice was “do not ride”. The owner completed a lap of K’tree black, “winking” all the way. Madness.

Heath-Robinson trailside bodges should be on the list.

shermer75
    Free Member

#5 Using the straps on your backpack as a sling for your broken collar bone

Garry_Lager

Heath-Robinson trailside bodges should be on the list.

Anyone ever done the grass/turf in a tyre cos you’re 15 miles from the car and just burst your last inner tube?
    Sounds like a right load of auld bollox, but I’ve read about folk trying it in extremis.

iain1775
    Free Member

By best bodge was fixing an avid brake caliper with a plastic tick remover

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Done all ten, id like to add learnt to wheelie

user-removed
    Free Member

Mended a (very) bent rear hanger with a rock and a pavement, one week into a three week tour of Southern Ireland. I wouldn’t recommend it. In fact it wouldn’t make my top 100.

aracer
    Free Member

Anyone ever done the grass/turf in a tyre cos you’re 15 miles from the car and just burst your last inner tube?

No – it’s apparently quite rubbish. The better solution is apparently to tie knots in the end of your innertube, though I’ve not tried that either.

I’m missing the bike park (I’m assuming trail center black runs don’t count), but have also got most of the supplementaries listed here – I’ve never repacked a BB with vegetarian pate anywhere though.

I’d like to add the following which I’ve done:
    Take your bike for a long walk (I think anybody who did MM last year can probably count that one, though I was thinking of walks rather longer than that!)
    Ride a tandem (preferably in combination with igm’s suggestions, though not necessarily the Alpine downhill one – now that really is ace!)
    Descend over 1000m at speed without stopping (do not touch your disks at the bottom)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK some to add
    Ride on an actual mountain
    Carry/push/manhandle up something to access something amazing
    Ride something everyone tells you that you can’t
    Share it with Friends
    Go Solo too far

jekkyl

Ride on Christmas Day.

globalti
    Free Member

Do a Polaris event carrying all your kit, spend the night halfway up some mountain in a tiny tent in a howling gale then get up and compete again the next day for five hours. Used to do them with my brother back in the early 90s; it was always a good bonding experience.

Joe

Meh. Done all. Lovely production though.

cranberry
    Free Member

#11 Make the trails come alive with 650b a pentagram drawn in salt, a live chicken and a quick chat with Satan.

bearnecessities

Owned a Kona 😉

jekkyl

cack yourself when riding on north shore the first time and then complete it successfully.

JCL
    Free Member

What a load of guff!

I thought it was going to be a list of races/events.

heckler73
    Free Member

garry lager

ive done the grass in tyre fix, and it worked, saved me walking 10 miles anyway, mushy pead wheel,tyre combo once I got home though

piemonster

Riding a race(again) and visiting a bike park (again) would be adding to the number 1 regret in life list that was posted yesterday.

For me anyway.

passtherizla
    Free Member

get a pedal to shin interface that brings a tear to the eye… Thanks for that BPW.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

so once completed do i have to hang up the bikes and stop.

pah. ticked all of these and more besides. nice film though and mucho truth.

matt_outandabout

Ridden until you hit the wall.
    Ridden in horizontal rain, requiring you to pedal downhill to get anywhere (because then you appreciate the good days more).
    Waded a river with your bike. Bivvied or bothied with your bike.

Nick

Turned up for a ride without your clipless shoes, ride in your trainers anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘10 things every mountain biker should have done?’ is closed to new replies.