Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rimtrackworld — Two ARD’s which wheels?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

So after the kid wrecking a rim (which was probably just cheese) I figured it’s a bit daft not wearing protection for £35.

Anyway … leads to a dilemma… and me going in circles so 1st world problems.
    I’ve been out to the shed 2-3 times and not made my mind up!!!

*I ordered thinking one back wheel each for me an Jnr.
    *I’m not adverse to mixing wheels…I got one MRP DT boost kit
    *If I’m happy I’ll possibly get another set later
    *All 27.5 203/180 and 11sp
    *only 2 bikes ridden together

My carbon wheels are pretty narrow … and I keep narrower/faster rolling tyres on now so use on the aggressive HT for riding locally from the house. Technically I could fit the MRP but seems irrelevant.
    My main FS bike (Aeris 1.5) has a boost front and usually the DT511’s and “fairly aggressive” tyres (2.5 DHF/DHR in maxgrip/trail) .. front can boost/non
    Jnr’s main bike as above with DT front Spoon 32 with Assegai/thinner rear rim Race28 (as its what I had when he snapped his Nukeproof rim)
    The bigger bike (Mega) has cheap superstar 27mm and Magic Mary’s front and back but doesn’t really get pedalled much/often. [Someone asked about Dyfi the other day.. this is what I take when I don’t want to risk damaging the Bird and when extra travel is a skills compensator]

I can’t afford to replace the carbon rims anyway and they are unfashionably thin (23mm)… and 28H conceivably could go on the XC bike permanently (and swap rotors) so pointless to add weight/rim protection
    (Separately with 11sp but 160/160 XC HT)

So logic seems to say:
    Aggressive HT should get one… in one of the “other wheels” and borrow the carbon ones for non aggressive
    So it seems to me (but happy for other logic) one goes in a rear in either
    DT511 (or do I trust its reputation?)
    Superstar (but if it was wrecked I’d just replace the rim cheaply)
    The kids Race28 (but narrower internal) which I’d prefer wider but…?

stevextc
    Free Member

Small bump … someone just pick 2 😀
    or I could just give em all a shake and just choose any that need topping up with sealant anyway?

z1ppy

tbh I’m struggling to understand (or care) about your requirements.. just stick the ARD’s into the two rear wheels that will take the most bashing, regardless of their rim rep. If you really worried, buy another set of ARD for the other wheels (are the other wheels?.. I’m stru…..

earl_brutus

🤮

stevextc
    Free Member

tbh I’m struggling to understand (or care) about your requirements.

As I said first world problems. Can’t believe I went to fit them a few times and can’t decide.
    but you actually helped…

If you really worried, buy another set of ARD for the other wheels

Quite possibly will if I get on with them…

. just stick the ARD’s into the two rear wheels that will take the most bashing, regardless of their rim rep

I guess that’s the real Q…. At least previously the rims that GET the worst bashing tend to be my cheapest wheels … for the simple reason they are replaceable. (In fact they are the 2nd set as I smashed the other 2 up over time and swapped a rim) on the other hand I took the carbon wheels away last time and ruined riding a bit when we went to the park because I was scared of smashing through some rock gardens.

I guess my dilemma is what’s the point of the EX511’s if I don’t use them “as intended” and if I do then why not stick the insert in. Then the kid is more likely to smash a rim and the HT is but just chuck the other in the Spank anyway and it can always be shoved on the HT.

the wheels I got for £100 … if we damage another rim I can just replace it.

Right … time to see how much hassle (or not) they are to fit

stevextc
    Free Member

Umm.. it say’s 2 hours ago….
    EX511 and Hans Dampf a nightmare…. Schwalbe tyre levers bent double and fought me to the last mm (unlike usually it gets easier the last bit) but then went up with valve core and trackpump easily almost didn’t want to try the Race28 being narrower but with a Purgatory Grid was actually much easier (by this time I used a couple of clamps to hold it in place) and probably possible without tyre levers (but I’d started so..)

SirHC

Ex471/ex511 if you are a serial wheel killer

Xm421/xm481 is you are semi careful

My 481s are 2 years old and are really tatty, no dings or bends though.

stevextc
    Free Member

So my crap riding gave these a good test yesterday.
    I stuck the EX511 with insert on the HT and managed to case a few square edged wood gap jumps.

Nothing felt that bad and back at the car it all seemed good. It was dark when I got home so a fuller inspection today.

stevextc
    Free Member

After a proper check following some big cases onto square edged wood both rims are true within sticker/logo thickness. (EX511 and Spank Race28)

That’s quite impressive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rimtrackworld — Two ARD’s which wheels?’ is closed to new replies.