Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rim width on a 29er
  • spooked
    Free Member

Evening,

I’m about to embark on a new bike build.

I’ve been out of the tech side of things for a rather long time and need to order new wheels.

I want to go with the hope wheels. I’m not so sure what width is best for blasting around the South Downs doing cross country stuff and bumbling about.

Am I right in thinking the narrower would be best in this instance?

tdog
    Free Member

29mm outer width so around a 24-25mm internal width would be sufficient for 2.1”-2.4” tyres like what I run on my xc/trail ht

spooked
    Free Member

Awesome. Thanks.

tdog
    Free Member

Taking into account that the wider the rim, the more it will square off tread of a narrow tyre

So a 2.3” on a 29mm external diameter rim gives a good profile of tread

Also note how much clearance your frame accepts in the rear as to how much you’ll have for mud shedding abilities unlike me in my frame 😜

tdog
    Free Member

No worries Spooked, happy to help 👍😃

spooked
    Free Member

Awesome. All these flipping new standards….. it’s a minefield.

Grumble grumble.

Thank you though!

bear-uk
    Free Member

My 29″ front wheel is 27mm internal and running a 2.6″ Hillbilly. It’s 2.4 wide in real size on the rim. I was toying with going for 35mm rims and running wider tyres at around 16psi tubless. Currently running the front at 20psi and have lots of grip.

honourablegeorge

Be careful, the Hope (Fortus) wheels with 30 width are a super heavy downhill rim. Hope Hubs and DT rim of your choice a better bet.

spooked
    Free Member

Ah perfect. I will have a look. Thanks

BearBack
    Free Member

As above, it was quite surprising how portly hopes wheelsets were when announced.
    I’d skip their cast iron builds and go with something like an xm421 for 25mm internal that will be good upto 2.4 whilst being light and plenty strong for xc duties..

garage-dweller

If you are riding South Downs and want to run a narrow mud tyre you may want to downsize the width.

I’ve got some of the entry level Roval wheels, which are fairly wide but my 2.0 mud tyre (needed for the clearance in South downs clag) just won’t shape up right. I end up not riding that bike in winter because of the clearance problems and inability to fit a narrow tyre. I could do with a second hand wheel with a narrower rim really.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

stealth incoming. OP I’ve got some barely used Hope Tech Enduro on Hope Pro II that could possibly be available (someone just offered me a dynamo wheelset so need to fund). 23mm internal, perfect profile on 2.2 Conti Race Kings, will go up or down some. https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/wheels/wheel-sets/hope-tech-enduro-wheelset-review/?image=3&type=gallery&gallery=1

PM if interested 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rim width on a 29er’ is closed to new replies.