Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rim width for 27.5×2.3″ tyres?
  • sirromj

Looking at some new wheels for my Bird Zero TR. Currently have Planet X El-crappo with WTB STi25 rims, they’re not tough at all. Can’t decide on rim width. Some things suggest 26mm for 2.3″ is ideal,  though others say 30 is within the ideal range. I might have just purchased some 30mm width will I go to hell?

cookci
    Free Member

WTB i25 are actually pretty tough and cheap to replace.

You will get lots of different advice but 25mm is about right and about the average for a 2.3. I suspect 30mm rims will be fine though

i run 21mm rims on one bike with 2.3’s and 30mm with 2.6’s for another

joebristol

I’ve found the sti25’s really tough so far – I’d definitely buy them again for a sensibly priced rim. Not like the wtb KoM’s that are made of cheese. A friend had a new wheel built with a KOM and it was already looking a bit wonky afte a month or so.

iainc

I am using some brand new Hope XCs (19.5) with 2.25 Nobby Nics on an Anthem and they work well. The current fashion would say you would be better with 23 or wider.  My Zero TR has a 2.4 up front and 2.3 rear and they are on the DT Swiss wheels that I bought with the bike and are 25mm. I can’t tell the difference TBH.

nickfrog
    Free Member

25mm or 30mm will be fine but I would go 30mm for when you decide to go 2.6.

sirromj

Uh oh frame spec only gives clearance for 2.5. Thinking this was a mistake now, should have resisted urge for shiny shinies.

iainc

Why do you want big bulky tyres on your Bird Zero TR ?

mboy
    Free Member

Having turned into Goldilocks when it comes to rim widths, I can honestly say that 26-28mm is ideal for 2.3″ tyres personally. A 30mm internal pulls a 2.3″ Maxxis a bit too square in profile personally, and a 25mm internal width pinches a 2.35″ Schwalbe a little too much and it starts to lose its edge bite.

Been running 28mm internal E13 TRSr carbon rims mostly for the last 2 years, and they give a superb profile with either 2.3″ Maxxis or 2.35″ Schwalbe tyres. Currently using 26mm internal Stans Arch mk3 on my HT which are great with 2.3″ Maxxis fitted. Have used 30mm too which gave 2.35″ Schwalbe’s a good profile but did over stretch a 2.3″ Maxxis a little IMO.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Why do you want big bulky tyres on your Bird Zero TR ?

I don’t think he does.

iainc

^^^^ no, I kinda misread it !

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

WTB i25 are actually pretty tough and cheap to replace.

Yes.

25 mm is pretty good. 29 mm even a bit better for 2.3 rubber?

In this range…

sirromj

Suppose I could get lbs to rebuild with new rim and new spokes. Or look for a replacement wheel with 25mm internal width or a new wheelset about 26mm for £300-ish.

Anyone sent 27.5 wheelset back to crc? Did the package qualify for free returns via hermes?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have WTB i29 on my Bronson, they are a bit cheeselike if I’m honest. The first rim I’ve ever dinged the front on, and not just one dent either….

ogri
    Free Member

Hi,I have 30mm Stans flow mk3’s fitted with 2.35 maxxis minions on my Bird hardtail and the profile looks fine to me.No complaints regarding grip.

sirromj

Getting up this morning, decided to see if Bird themselves had any opinion on this. Had a reply before I left for work saying they’d used 30m rims on the TR for years and it’s been fine. Decided to keep the 30mm wheelset now. Picked them up, fitting tyres, looks fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rim width for 27.5×2.3″ tyres?’ is closed to new replies.