• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by poly.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding within an hour’s drive of Edinburgh
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

<p>Looking for some new riding spots near Edinburgh.</p><p>Moved here from Aberdeen 2 years ago and have almost exclusively ridden the Pentlands and Glentress since. </p><p>I really miss the variety of riding that was available around Westhill where I used to live and yearn for some forest singletrack along the lines of Kirkhill.</p><p>Any suggestions appreciated</p><p></p>

maddyutah

Lomond’s in Fife ,pitmeddin,Comrie Croft ,ochils,Fife coastal path

clubby

Forest Singletrack like Kirkhill? Gotta be Pitmedden, just north of Auchtermuchty. Blairadam at Kelty is not bad either, just avoid in the depths of winter unless it’s a hard frost.

poah
    Free Member

comrie is close or start riding some mountains in fife

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Comrie is 90 minutes from the centre of Edinburgh, and there ain’t no mountains in Fife. The places noted above, Lomonds, Pitmedden, Ochils etc are good, but tbh there’s so much riding in the Tweed valley that any of those places may seem rather disappointing.

Do you only ride GT when you head down? try tying in with some locals, there’s so much stuff to ride, not just 7 stanes or Golfie style stuff, but masses of paths into the hills as well.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Quite a lot of woodland single-track in Midlothian.  Dalkeith, Rosewell and Roslin are good places to start.  You’ll have to explore a bit as there isn’t one wood that’s full of trails like Pitmedden but you can put together some good rides without much road riding.  There’s one wood that has some really good downhill runs, short but well put together with many options but I’m not going to name it here.

guitarhero
    Free Member

<p>Thanks for the suggestions. Some good stuff to try.</p><p>I appreciate there is more in the Tweed Valley that I have not ridden. I do ride Glentress and prefer stuff like cock nostril, Mast of Zorro, Trailfairy plan, Ho Chi min etc but whilst I enjoy that type of riding, I’m looking for stuff that I can ride on my rigid Stooge (and enjoy)</p><p>What would be a good Tweed Valley route on a B+ rigid bike?</p>

jimmy

Have you done Gypsy Glen on the other side of Peebles?

The last one (of sorts) I went on was over in Fife round Kinross way and took in a really nice and unexpected singletrack descent. I’d need to look at a map to name places but perfect for a rigid bike.

Feels like a good old STW group ride is needed. Who wants to organise that?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What would be a good Tweed Valley route on a B+ rigid bike?

Gypsy glen, Three Brethren etc would all be ace.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Who wants to organise that?

Trying once more to organise a ride for  the salt n saucers? like herding bees! 🙂

Sanny did a mag article once on the Fife coastal path too guitarhero, worth trying to dig that out.

tjagain

Lots.  Get your map out.  there is a lot of single track around south of the city.  I also cannot believe you have exhausted the pentlands.  there is woodsy singletrack arounfd dreghorn for example.

Beecraigs near Linlithgow?  Roslin glen?

geex
    Free Member

PM me if you want shown round East Lothian singletrack. it’s a pretty perfect playground for shitty rigid plus tyred bikes.

Jimmy, Steven fancy a night ride Thursday?

kcal

try stuff like Capital Trail for all day ride, or at least head further afield from the Pentlands towards Glentress. As above there’s no one trail centre but quite a lot of bits that can be variously linked up. The Pentlands cover a big area — worth exploring.  Was there 20 years and not sure I covered all of it..

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m busy this Thursday.

geex
    Free Member

Text me when you’re not.

matt_outandabout

Feels like a good old STW group ride is needed.

Christmas ride at BofA?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, let’s go somewhere decent. 😉

having a wee xmas social with mates, 23rd Dec Inners uplft, if anyone else fancies it.

geex
    Free Member

Rigid plus bike on inners uplift in late December? What could possibly go wrong? 😀
    I’d love to see it but am only free the opposite weekends.

Assuming BofA = Bridge of Allan. Cambu/N3rd are also pretty decent

cynic-al
    Free Member

EL night ride, sounds good.

I’m happy to share Big Hitting tips en route also 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d be up for a Christmas meet up, coffee and mince pies at Matt’s?

matt_outandabout

23rd Dec

I think that’s when mini and maxi_oab wanted to join Ms and Mr Barnes for a swally around Top Chiefs trails in inappropriate Christmas jumpers..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve witnessed a fair few of Joe’s jumpers, inappropriate would be an improvement.

mucker

Get yourself over to the Balvormie car park at Beecraigs for 6.30 on a Wednesday evening, for a workout with the PedalPower Mtb group.

poly
    Free Member

Beecraigs near Linlithgow?

If thats not big enough for you – you can link it in (via the Canal if you don’t want to work out a route through the hills) a way to link it to Muiravonside, and/or Calendar Trails at Falkirk.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding within an hour’s drive of Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.