Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding through a cold
  • Sam

Had a bit of a cold the past couple of weeks with some chesty cough, congestion and feeling flat. Been riding through it mostly. Not had the energy to go too hard. Did a CX race last weekend and felt horrible. Feeling better over the course of the week though still struggling to get the heart rate right up.

Woke up this morning with an added sore throat, nothing too bad but a bit of a tickle. Supposed to be doing a CX race this afternoon….

What is the thinking? ‘Man up’ and do it? Or will that just put me in a hole for another couple of weeks?

JoB
    Free Member

be a man and don’t

Dark-Side

Rest Sam, riding at a high intensity will prolong it. I’ve been the same for the last couple of weeks.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I tried it a couple of times and think it ended up making it last longer.

Just rest and keep cold air off your lungs and chest.

dpfr

Runners talk about the ‘neck test’

If your symptoms are above the neck- sore throat, headache, snotty, sneezing- it’s OK to run. If they are below the neck- chest infection, mucle aches- then lay off for a few days

palmer77
    Free Member

Be careful…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pneumonia-recovery-any-tips

The pneumonia ended up causing Sarcoidosis too!!!

jonba
    Free Member

Does the CX race matter to you? Are you likely to win or are there critical league points.

If you are going for a laugh then just go and watch. If it really matters then weigh up how much you think it is worth.

After the 3pks I had a bad cold. Missed a weekend of racing but decided that the following weekend I needed to ride despite a cough. Club hill climb and critical CX race (for me) in the same day. It would have been hard on a good day. I won the hill climb and coughed for the next two hours until the CX race. Hung on for third in what was probably the most horrible 50minutes on a bike I’ve had in a long time.

Felt rubbish for the rest of the week, not really able to ride hard at all – a headwind on my commute was a struggle. Still not sure I’m 100%. For me I decided it was worth the risk. If it was a one off race that I was making numbers up in then I would have not gone.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Same here. Was supposed to be at a CX race this afternoon but am still full of it so have decided to rest up and recover for next week.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding through a cold’ is closed to new replies.