Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding near Padstow
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m off on holiday with the whole family (outlaws included, yey) and I’m planning on taking my bike down to get a day of riding in.

The main stumbling block is, what kind of riding is readily available / easily accessible down there? And what would be the best bike to take, CX or MTB?

I know one day the plan is for me and the brother-in-law to ride the camel trail with the little’uns in trailers (presuming you can hire them) and meet the women & outlaws at the other end for lunch or whatever.

asterix
    Free Member

Try Cardinham Woods for trails that are a bit more exciting than the Camel Trail

Edric64
    Free Member

There is a huge hire place on the quay in Padstow ,they hire out everything bike related ,trailers ,tandems,bikes

steve_b77
    Free Member

The camel trail is just for family duties. I’ll get a day to myself, hence the question.

julioflo
    Free Member

I’ll second Cardinham woods trail centre. It’s at Bodmin, about 30mins drive max from Padstow & flippin ace. The woods centre/car park area is quite kid friendly, play areas, stationary bbq set ups, grassy areas & nice cafe.

crispybacon
    Free Member

Take the MTB and ride up the Camel trail towards Bodmin there is stuff to ride in Grogley, Hustyns & Dunmere woods on the way up although you may need a local guide unless you’re happy to explore on your own.

As others have said Cardinham Woods is worth a visit but it’s short @ 4 or 5 miles a lap so 3 or 4 laps will only be a half day ride, the cafe is nice though.

asterix
    Free Member
    steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheers guys

18bikes

I’ve just got back from Padstow – I took the CX bike, to squeeze in road and trail rides. I didn’t manage any full days, just several early morning blasts, did Camel Trail a couple times, likewise Cardinham, which was a lot of fun on the cross bike (I did the first Red bit, missed the second bit out)

We hired from the hire shop by the lobster hatchery for my wife, no troubles – basic bike, but was in good condition.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Good info there 18, thanks

dantsw13

Just back from Polzeath (other side of the Camel estuary to Padstow) and rode Cardinham Woods, and a bit of cheeky early morning action on the SW coastal footpath between Lundy Bay and Polzeath. Most of it is rideable, and the early morning dog walkers were friendly and nobody objected to me.

The drivers around there were dreadful, so I’d think twice about road riding.

dantsw13

Oh, and Wadebridge to Padstow on the camel trail is 5m each way and completely flat. There is a bike hire place in both Wadebridge and Padstow, and a mobile coffee shop sets up on the trail between the 2.

If you want any info on the area, drop me an email.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

5 Minutes?!

EDIT: 5 miles I guess you mean. Or are you attached to a solid-fuel rocket?

READITEDIT, eh dan?

dantsw13

Ha! Yes, 5 miles!!

18bikes

no worries – where you staying? got some food/other suggestions too if you wanted?

5 miles, yep – rode Padstow->Wadebridge->Padstow with my wife, she’s not ridden at all this year, so gives an idea how straightforward that is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Padstow’ is closed to new replies.