Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Bike transforming upgrades…
  • gee
    Free Member

This weekend at Mayhem I was running some changes to my 650b ti Ala Carte for the first time in a race. I had some Light Bicycle carbon rims, King hubs, XTR race brakes and some wider Salsa carbon bars.

I’ve had this frame for 4 seasons now. This is by far the best the bike has ever felt. I think most of it is the bars and brakes as I felt so much more confident on the first rocky downhill and the steep little cut through on the Red Bull trail than I would have done before. The wheels just make me happy as they look awesome. Round the Swinley berms they were definitely stiffer and no tyre roll so it’s not all looks.

So what else have people fitted and noticed such a huge improvement?

GB

bearnecessities

Purple bolts.

Wookster

A dropper post TBH.

honourablegeorge

Putting a 50mm stem on for the first time, replacing a 90. Felt like a different bike – in a good way. Even riding round the back yard, it just felt right.

thepurist

For me a day with Jedi has made more difference than wider bars, shorter stem, dropper post etc.

If its got to be a bit of kit then it’d be the dropper – right position on the ups and the downs with no interruption to the ride (aka rest)

gee
    Free Member

I thought dropper posts would feature… Perhaps one day they’ll be ‘acceptable’ in an XC race…

GB

thepurist

Perhaps one day they’ll be ‘acceptable’ in an XC race

Does ‘acceptable’ mean ‘faster overall’? 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

gee – I would very much like your bike, please. 😀

I’ll make do with a pic for now….

dantsw13

Offset bushings on my Heckler. Much better at riding “through and over” stuff.

boxfish
    Free Member

Ditto Light-Bicyle rims on DT240s. They transformed the feel of my hardtail.

belugabob
    Free Member

Moving the brakes to the inside of the shifters – single finger braking and no more aching hands.

jam-bo

Dropping two stone made my bikes feel much more spritely.

wilsation
    Free Member

Tyres. Change them according to conditions ad you can’t go wrong.

Cheezpleez

Oooooh…

* Wider bars on rigid SS. Can’t believe I used to ride it with 640mm bars.
    * 29in front wheel on rigid SS (then matching back wheel, and a 29er frame)

* Dropper on other bikes.

tcairns
    Free Member

…a 250cc air cooled engine…err.!

xcneil
    Free Member

XX1 group set, wide bars and 2.25 tyres on my 26″ xc bike

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Rc2dh damper in my lyriks with racing bros seals

Oh and my reverb.

Main upgrade winner is fitness from having a road bike

adsh
    Free Member

Ti post on my a la carte ti (still 26″)

matther01
    Free Member

Dropper, diet and (obviously) go faster coloured valve caps

Bagstard
    Free Member

Having the correct spring rate in my fork, combined with Racing Bros low friction seals. Oh and volume spacers in the rear shock.

The fork sits nice and high in it’s travel, but with great small bump sensitivity instead of stiction followed by diving through the travel.

The rear shock is now running with lower psi for better small bump performance, but doesn’t wallow and blow through the travel. So about £90 pounds all in, but real performance change.

mike_p
    Free Member

The rider

shortcut

Crossmax ST’s made a big difference. Very stiff and fast.

tonyd

Not smoking and losing weight. Works out much cheaper than buying new parts too!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for fitness, lost 4kg from a mix of commuting and extra road biking, feel faster already.

Ritchey WCS bars on the road bike (and matching stem), and Lizzard skins DSP tape. Transformed the bike from something I’d fallen out of love with into a place I’m happy spending hours in the drops watching the countryside flash by.

Light wheels (Stans alpha on novatech, schwalble ZX, conti supersonic tubes and KCNC QR’s, ~2000g), not much faster, but feel lovely.

cardo

Tubeless on Stans rims & Easton Carbon bars.

flange
    Free Member

Light wheels – I’d take a £400 frame with £1000 wheels in it over a £1000 frame with £400 wheels. The difference they make is immense, combined with the right tyre I personally think its a the best upgrade I’ve ever made.

tinsy
    Free Member

Riding a lot.

this

Tyres. Change them according to conditions ad you can’t go wrong.

EDIT, one I got for free was using the KOP method to set saddle position, its not for everyone but its a least decent place to start with setup. As soon as I tried it it didnt just ease pedaling it made the bike handle better, gave me all day comfort.. It really was night & day different.

tonyd

Oh, and a new chain! Replaced an old and baggy one with a bling-a-ling gold number last night. The ride in this morning felt great.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d take a £400 frame with £1000 wheels in it over a £1000 frame with £400 wheels.

+1 for this, wheel upgrades always make a massive difference. Tempted to get some carbons for a 29er xc build.

Those Light Bicycle rims, clinchers or tubs?

chakaping
    Free Member

Marzocchi RC3 ti forks. Made me realise how important good suspension is.

The rear shock is now running with lower psi for better small bump performance, but doesn’t wallow and blow through the travel. So about £90 pounds all in, but real performance change.

Good to hear. Should have my fork and shock back this week.

messiah
    Free Member

Strava’ing my commute is building my fitness. Its an addiction.

New tyres always makes a huge difference to my bikes… probably because I leave the old ones on until they are way past their best 😳 😉

tonyd

messiah – I just swapped my (road) tyres front to back as the back has developed a distinct shoulder. Not sure if that helped this mornings improvements but probably. Hopefully I did this before the shoulder got so bad as to affect steering with it on the front, only time will tell!

teadrinker
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member
    Purple bolts.

😆

Aidan
    Free Member

Working brakes – I tend to obliterate components, so by the time I’m ready to replace my brakes, they hardly work at all. Then when I do service/replace them, I remember how much faster and smoother I can ride with the knowledge that I’ll be able to slow down when necessary.

And tubeless tyres. I usually use tubes and mud tyres in the winter, switching to fast tubeless tyres gives a big does of extra grip, acceleration, and rolling speed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Avid to shimano brakes.. They actually work!

TimothyD
    Free Member

A bigger front disc rotor, from 160mm to 180mm, the thought that I can *stop* just like that is great.

Handy for commuting, too.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Bike transforming upgrades…’ is closed to new replies.