Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Riding in walking boots
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m trying to sort out my kit for a 3 week cycle tour at Easter up the west coast of scotland. Along the way I’d like to walk up An Teallach, Suillven, Quinaig and a few others. In trying to not take excess footwear, and not having to buy waterproof over-boots I’m thinking of getting some lightweight walking boots like the Sportiva Trango. I have Scarpa Mantas at the moment which are very heavy, the trangos are very light.

Problems will be with ankle flexibility and getting good grip on the pedals. Does anyone ride in boots?

Cheers

13thfloormonk

I had this exact quandary, ended up settling on fell running shoes! Super light and easy to carry, and obviously nice and grippy.

Waterproof as seives though and the longest walk I did in them was about 3-4 hours (Suilven, from the bothy nearby).

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah, I have a pair of walshes which weigh approx. nothing, but they’ll not be comfy for very long days, and especially not if there’s much snow. I’m meeting my Dad in Lochinver for a week in the middle so might get him to bring my proper boots for the walking part.

Cheers

BigJohn

I toyed with the idea of getting a centre section of stealth rubber inserted into the sole of my boots. The cobbler said he could cut off the tread in the middle, leaving grip on the heel and toes.

As it turns out, the boots are fairly grippy now after a few rides. Wouldn’t be my first choice for belting through rooty singletrack, but should suit your purpose.

If they’re not too bulky, how about clips’n’straps?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I converted some cheap walking boots into spd shoes. Worked well, even did a little scrambling.

One pair of walking boots + one old pair of cycling shoes. Cycling shoes stripped and inserted into walking boots. Hole cut for cleat. All glued together and resealed. Job done.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If it’s one pair of shoes you want I’d go with flats and some sort of running shoes, not fell shoes though. I often carry non-spd shoes if I take bikes up a mountain, but appreciate you’re probably trying to travel light.

Mowgli
    Free Member

The grip is a secondary concern – if I use boots I’ll put Wellgo V8 pedals on. It’s only on road so should be fine. My main worry was whether my ankles would seize up or get chaffed by the upper part of the boot. I guess I could just lace them half way up the tongue.

Better give it a go I suppose with the Mantas.

EDIT No plan to use SPDs. If I wasn’t walking up mountains I’d be riding in these, but they’re also no good in the snow/rain/mud

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, your ankles hardly flex at all cycling, much less than when walking.

I walked up the summit cone of Mount Keen in my SPD shoes, it was fine though a bit gratey when the cleats were on rock.

Edit: those shoes look useful; what are they?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused. Are you wanting to walk up the mountains in winter, easter is still effectively winter, in lightweight walking boots or is that just for riding in?

imp999
    Free Member

Not wanting to teach egg sucking but you can play around with the lacing to allow ankle flex on the bike and invest in some agressive pedals or longer pedal-pins. They might damage the shoe’s sole, though.
    Long pins ate into my TNF hedgehogs but not my Hi-tech cheapy boots.

avdave2

I’ll put Wellgo V8 pedals on. It’s only on road so should be fine.

Can you fit toe clips to those, if you can and your riding on the road then that’s what I’d do.

tonyd

Mate of mine road across Central America on a rigid MTB in walking boots with toe clips, he didn’t have any issues at all although the riding was pretty much all on road (or whatever passed for a road out there).

I’ve got a pair of Innov-8 Roclite boots – very lightweight walking boot, lots of grip and plenty of flex. They don’t provide the same level of support or waterproofness (sp?!) as a regular walking boot but might make a good compromise. I’ve walked for days in Chilean Patagonia in them and found them to be extremely comfortable.

http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=26&P=5050973007

BigJohn

I ride V8s on my commuter bike with walking boots. No chafing.

dreednya

I used to ride with walking boots all the time when I first started – andma happy to admit it was probably the only period of my riding when I had totally warm and dry feet at the end of every cold and wet winter ride 🙂 .

user-removed
    Free Member

Exactly what dreednya said ^^^ I also rode a few times in the recent snow wearing my big, clunky hiking boots. Toasty feet at the end and never even noticed I was wearing them. Used with SS Nanos.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused. Are you wanting to walk up the mountains in winter, easter is still effectively winter, in lightweight walking boots or is that just for riding in?

I’m hoping to take one set of footwear for both walking and riding. The trangos will be fine in the snow for the things I’m hoping to do. Just wasn’t sure about riding in them as well, it seems they’ll be fine.
    Thanks all!

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have a pair of northface goretex trainers that are a great allround compromise and work very well on the bike.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I always ride in walking boots 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

20 + years ago we used walking boots and flats an awful lot. Worked fine

epicyclo

I ride in walking boots too, or sandals with SealSkinz.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I ride my flats in walking boots, Karrimor KSBs. However, usually that’s for shorter rides playing up on’t moor and in’t woods etc. I used to use them with those stirrup things back in the 90’s, before clipless, never had a problem with rubbing.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I commute in hiking boots most of the spring/autumn. During the snow I wore my B2 boots, never found a problem with grip or ankle flexibility. I often don’t lace my hiking boots up properly when riding, but that’s more to do with laziness than anything else.

frogstomp

I’ve got a pair of Five Ten Exum Guide boots which are comfy for walking and have a pretty sticky sole for pedals..

toys19
    Free Member

I used to ride in walking boots all the time, goretex n all, before “mtb shoes” existed (and we lived in a hole int’ ground) they were brill and I often think about going back..

ampthill

frogstomp those look good

can you get them in the uk

I did loads of what your talking about in walking boots. I just laced thhem a bit lower

martymac

i use flat pedals with walking boots too, no issues at all.
    as above, its the only time i have totally dry feet in winter riding.
    being dry is important on a multi day tour imo.

frogstomp

frogstomp those look good

can you get them in the uk

The only place I can see that do them in the UK are here..

I got them off eBay about 6 months ago for half that price..

hooja
    Free Member

Dont know if anyone has said yet but dont consider the trangos, i am on my 2nd pair and whilst they are briliant they would be terrible for riding. Brilliant for technical mountain stuff, scrambling, easy climbs etc but way too stiff and too much rocker on the sole.
    Try patagonia Boaris mids if you can find them, waterproof, lightweight, flexible and look pretty good.

Mowgli
    Free Member

OK thanks for that. I was just attracted to the light weight. I might just use my Mantas after all and save a few quid. Even though they’re heavy they should balance each other out on the pedals, and will be toasty 🙂

ampthill

Thanks frogstomp

nbt

Kinky boots by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

No_Discerning_Taste there, showing off by riding in *riding* boots.

Mrs NBT uses some north face walking boots for riding and seems to do ok, she wants some 5.10s though as so many people on here recommend them

stabilizers

Dont expect those hills to be clear of snow at Easter especially An Teallach. It could be quite a serious proposition. You might want to pack an ice axe and know how to use it. Personally I would wear a pair of light weight walking boots and just take on the hills if they are clear of snow. Expect to back off if it gets too sketchy.

leffeboy

Walking boots rock, just do it. If they are your only pair of foot ware for three weeks though you want either gaiters or overtrousers. As for slipping off the pedals, good old toe clips set nice and loose work really well

Old skool roolz

Mowgli
    Free Member

Done a fair bit of winter climbing so I’m actually hoping for some snow on the tops! Will be taking a light axe I expect.

coastkid
    Free Member

Flat pedals on all my bikes now and using these KEEN boots.
    Mega light and very waterproof and breathable.
    best £80 spent for a long time. Ok grip on V12s.
    Done a fair bit walking in them and no sore feet yet.
    Im gonna get a 2nd set and send them down to that place that was in Dirt Mag to get Five Ten soles fitted for beachriding for grip on slime covered rocks,
    Add Scree Gators for a top dual purpose set up 😮

BigJohn

Coming from a different angle – Shimano MT91 and SPDs?

thomthumb
    Free Member

when it snows i ride in these on flats – absolutely fine

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Riding in walking boots’ is closed to new replies.