Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Riding from Godalming to Guildford via canal
  • flange
    Free Member

Hello

Part of my new commute see’s me riding between Godalming and Guildford. The road is a) quite dangerous and b) quite boring. I’ve had a look at Google maps and I can cut onto the canal path and keep on it all the way into Guildford. Is this really doable? Also, i’m using a cross bike with 28mm gatorskins on it, will these be up to the task?

Ta

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

My old boss used to commute along the canal, though he used to complain about the dogs/walkers, as it does get narrow in places. The other option is along the bridleway from Catteshall side (near Tannachie on the map), past the sewage works to Shalford and pick-up the NCN path into Guildford.

flange
    Free Member

Cool thanks – I’ll have a look at that now. just want to miss out the nasty tight bit coming into Guildford. Had a few near misses recently!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perfectly do-able, but popular, narrow and prone to being pretty muddy IMO. You could skip onto the old railway line half way along though and then back onto the river closer to G’ford.

You do not need to worry about the bike – its a canalised section of river, so you know what to expect in terms of hills – none!!

flange
    Free Member

I’ll be hitting it fairly early so hoping not too many ‘doggers’ out at that sort of time. Who knows though!

Its not so much the hills as what it’ll do to my tyres. I used to do the Grand Union between Watford and Slough and that was pretty good at wrecking tyres..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Riding from Godalming to Guildford via canal’ is closed to new replies.