• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by joefm.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding for half a day on Madeira
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Heading to Madeira on a family trip. Can possibly squeeze in half a day for a ride. What would be worth doing? MTB, not road. Ideally not too crazy. Scenic and nice single track would win. Will need rent a bike as well.

Squirrel
    Shackleton

No idea but currently on madeira and it looks awesome! Have seen lots of enduro style bikes. They’re is a leaflet in our house with lots of suggestions for the local area.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

You might struggle with a half day – if you’re staying in Funchal, the best trails are bit of a drive away. Freeride usually only offer full-day tours.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I did 1 day with free ride Madeira. Met them at the hotel in Funchal they operate from while on a motor home trip with the mrs. Was superb. 1/2 a day is not worth it though and I doubt they would be interested. Just send them an email

brian38
    Free Member

Not sure if mtbs are able to go on the cable cars but if they are that might be an option if your limited on time. Can pick a bike up and be there in 10 min. If theres any riding up there im sure they will advise you and then ride back to funcal from the top after doing a bit ;-]

jordyboy
    Free Member

I rode with Freeride Madeira earlier this year and thoroughly rate them, good bikes, good group level, great guide and amazing trails (lots of variation).
    If it’s just time you’re worried about, the day finishes relatively early (think about 4.30).
    I’d agree with all the other posts, anything less than a day isn’t really worth it.
    If you really can only do half a day, the locals use the bus service from Funchal up the mountain (couple of euro each time). But you will still have to find the trails down on your own (not impossible, but it’s not a bike park so won’t be too easy). You’ll probably only get two runs in half a day.

carlos
    Free Member

100% try to stretch to a full day with Freeride Madeira, you’ll not regret it. Spent a week with them earlier in the year and they are just spot on. Trails are a real good mix of things from rocks and rooty woods, dusty singletrack and full on EWS sections. A full day will prob see you get in 5 runs and always finishes with a beer

campfreddie
    Free Member

Really looking forward to riding in Madeira this winter. I bought a house in Funchal this summer and am heading out for Jan/Feb/Mar/April with my Radon Slide 160 in tow along with a bike rack for the 4×4 I picked up out there a few weeks back. We are going to hook up with Freeride Madeira (owned by a mate of my nephew) and then go from there.

Once I get myself sorted out there, I will post back up on here so I can hook up with anyone heading out.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Just to chuck an alternative in; we had 2 cracking days guided riding with Sergio @ Lokoloko. Happily and highly recommended.

http://www.lokolokomadeira.com/en/mountain-biking

Trekster

Another freeride fan, not been for 3or 4yrs but hope to go back again. Try email but they were a wee bit slow to reply. On second visit I just wandered down to the shop on my first day and organised the rest of the week.

antennae
    Free Member

If it really does have to be half a day, take the bus up to Poiso and use Trailforks to find your way around up there:

Funchal, Madeira

cymohndee
    Free Member

Yup, as above. I can recommend Freeride Madeira too. You’ll need a whole day really but you will be done by late afternoon. The gradient there is BIG, I wouldn’t consider it without uplift. I did two days hire and guide with them on my holiday week in Funchal, both awesome days out.

joefm

Do a day. Quite possibly the best MTB’ing on the planet. To go all that way and be there and not ride would be upsetting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding for half a day on Madeira’ is closed to new replies.