• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bucko.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rides in devon
  • drago
    Free Member

Hi all looking for a ride in devon to do with my dog looking for something about 15mile with no roads happy to cross roads but not ride on them xc/single track

Any recommendations would be great thanks 😀

alexmynameis
    Free Member

Where in Devon? It’s a rather large county.

superstu
    Free Member

Where in Devon? It’s a rather large county.

Ha ha ha!! Was thinking the same!

drago
    Free Member

any part is good for me live near Exeter but am more than happy to drive to any part for good rides

superstu
    Free Member

Woodbury common? Fifteen minutes away

jam-bo

Woodbury common

drago
    Free Member

Ya like woodbury ride it lots looking for different places as well also have haldon Hill which is little over populated there must be lots on dartmoor/exmoor but don’t no where to start

cyclesouthwest
    Free Member

Just Google East Dartmoor killer loop

ajantom

haldon Hill which is little over populated

Only if you go where everyone else goes 😉

Did a ride there last Sunday and for the first 10 miles I saw only one other cyclist.

kaiser
    Free Member

yes there are parts of haldon away from the masses ..ideal for a dog running along with only small roads to transverse. be interested to see your route Ajan and to see if you know anywhere i don’t …i don’t necessarily mean the  off piste technical cut throughs etc . 10 miles up at Haldon avoiding others would be difficult to plan in my experience. We must meet up sometime!

Another place to consider might be along the east hill ridge area above Ottery ..Ajan will know… but could be too short for your needs if roads have to be avoided. You could always do a couple of loops . The common area nr the top of sidmouth’s peak hill is very pleasant…great views etc.

tdog
    Free Member

Can’t remember exactly where Fingle’s bridge is compared to you but don’t believe it’s that far and sets a lovely scene to ride around/xc running.

Haldon I gotta say is sardine packed well at the trail centre at least with families etc.

try attempting to buy a tea after a ride is like fighting through rush hour on m25.

😀

but am sure there must be good off piste there.

Gunz
    Free Member

Park up at Burrator Reservoir, cycle up to Princetown on the old railway track, have a pint at the Plume of Feathers, go out the back of the car park along the path for about a mile then head right just opposite the small car park down the Widowmaker.

ajantom

@Kaiser – this was my route last Sunday:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1689575561

Parked in Kenn, cycled up via Holloway Lane (next BW south of St Andrews), over the A380 and did a some of the lesser known trails around the race course. Then under the A38 and did the nice steep off piste trail that starts near the red route road crossing. Only encountered other cyclists when I hit the bottom of that.

Even so, I hardly saw anyone on the off-piste stuff. Busy around the hub, but as per usual no-one ventures off the beaten track. Good for those in the know though 😀

kaiser
    Free Member

Interesting route Ajan …did you make it up holloway lane without dabbing? I only ever did it twice non stop but then again I am getting on a bit!

ajantom

Nope, though I was on the singlespeed! Have only made it up there about twice without putting a foot down. Less how steep it is, more the looseness.

Bucko

Hi guys, is there a way of downloading other people’s rides as GPX from strava? Such as your ride above Tom?

drago
    Free Member

Great thanks all will check them out and have a look

ajantom

Hi guys, is there a way of downloading other people’s rides as GPX from strava? Such as your ride above Tom?

Just had a look, and I think you now can.

You may have to be following them for it to work, not sure, but I tried it just now on a mates ride from today and it worked.

Go to their activity, click on the spanner icon, and then ‘Create Route’. You can then save their ride/route, and export it as a .gpx or .tcx file.

ajantom

As for the OP – this is a decent Woodbury route of about 15 miles. Lots of singletrack, and no roads (apart from a couple of crossings).

https://www.strava.com/activities/1151125434

drago
    Free Member

Thanks ajantom that looks good

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Cann Woods in Plymouth has some great riding and is very dog friendly. Used to take my Dalmatian around there for hours.

riklegge

Bookmarking for future reference!

oikeith

Blatant thread hijack, I have been trying to get up to Dartmoor more during this warmer weather and have rode a few places and loops but am finding most are overgrown and am looking for tips of other loops to ride and explore, to explain badly the things loops/areas I have ridden:

Nutcracker, Easdon, Bowemans Nose, Houndtor, Haytor, Yarner Woods, The Cleavage, PostBridge/Spitchwick, Steps Bridge – Fingle Bridge ,Grimspound, Grenofen and Burrator Reservoir

Are there any other areas I should be looking at? I was going to look at Bellever recently but was told it wasn’t worth it.

For the OP, Woodbury sounds ideal for you. Haldon would work, yes the car park and hub gets busy but I rarely see anyone on the trails TBH. I’ve not been there in awhile but Stoke Woods up past Exeter uni does have some short tracks in there which could suit too.

crispybacon
    Free Member

You might want to have a look around North Dartmoor in the Sourton/Meldon/Lydford area.

Easy to put a 15 mile loop together all off road with no road crossing, start from Sourton parking below Sourton Tor where it crosses the Granite way, head out on the moor in a big loop, you could head over towards High Willhays &/or Yes tor and loop back. Alternatively head down towards Lydford & loop back via Widgery Cross and Great Links Tor.

If you want a 30ish mile XC loop starting from Lydford & taking in the 2 high points in the area, High Willhays & Yes tor, then this might help – https://www.strava.com/activities/1188598702   

The area is very dry at the moment & running very fast, so get up there before the rain turns it to a mud slog mess.

Bucko

Cheers Ajantom, I just checked Stava on a laptop for the first time in a while and worked it out but it does appear that you need to follow people in order to do it.

If anyone wants to follow and share routes then i’m Neil Bucko

I have ridden around Quantocks, Haldon, east Dartmoor and Woodbury a bit over the years but am always looking for inspiration to keep it varied.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rides in devon’ is closed to new replies.