Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • rider down, leeds
  • meehaja
    Free Member

Unknown Asian male, 35-40 decent kit, message on his phone implied he was meeting other riders, phone locked so no numbers available to ID patient. Found in chapel allerton. If this vague description could be someone you know, please ring st James hospital. Thanks. (and please,carry ID’s when riding)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This deserves a bump.

TomHill
    Free Member

I’m based in Chapel Allerton – have tweeted/Facebooked to see if he’s known to any of my riding mates. Fingers crossed the chap isn’t too badly hurt.

jamj1974

Mods could we sticky this?

J

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have *reported* the thread to ask teh modz, Jamj.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just posted it to one of the leeds cycling pages.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I saw he was in some sort of trouble, staggering with bike on Norfolk Terrace. By the time I’d stopped the car and got out he had collapsed and was face down. Realised quite quickly it was serious and rang 999. Did what I could, helped where I could when the paramedics arrived. Never felt so helpless and useless. He never regained consciousness. Very sad. Have spoken to the Police since and left my details.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Saw this on my FB feed. I’m on north Leeds too so have shared.

meehaja
    Free Member

King of biscuits, you did a good job, and as much as anyone could have.

regards

Jim (RRV Paramedic)

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers Jim, appreciated.

You were on the scene so quickly. Just wish I could have done more in the interim. Although I feel he was in a bad way straight away. He never responded.

Definitely makes me realise that 1) life is short and precious 2) always carry ID inc. ICE (not just your phone) when riding, running, out on your own, etc. and 3) first aid knowledge is so, so important.

woody2000

Well done KoB, I’m sure you did everything you could mate. Hope you’re okay.

What happened? Heart attack or something or has he been hit?

RIP rider 🙁

retro83
    Free Member

RIP 🙁

always carry ID inc. ICE (not just your phone) when riding, running, out on your own, etc.

Indeed, I thought these looked like good idea…

http://www.icepatch.eu/

jamj1974

RIP indeed.

lowey

KoB.. Stepped up mate. Well done.

I didnt actually realise he had passed but if so RIP.

Meehaja… Thanks for doing the job you do mate. Hopefully I wont need you or Drac for a long time.

project
    Free Member

any update on the cyclist, name, cause of his death, hit by car/ fall off or natural causes.

bigthanks to the emergency services,and condolances to his family and freinds.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough story. KoB you did what you could. Meehaja thank you for your reminded about ID.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

any update on the cyclist, name, cause of his death, hit by car/ fall off or natural causes.

I think you need to be very careful about things like this on an internet forum.

Patient confidentiality is very important, and I am surprised if I am honest that the NHS / St James’s has released this kind of information, and not left it for the Police to identify the rider, as would be normally done in such circumstance.

meehaja
    Free Member

Hence the very limited info in the original post. Unfortunately in these situations it is often a case of waiting for someone to report him missing, which in todays 24 hour society can take a few days. Hopefully the police found his family quickly, but there was very little to go on.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

The rider was identified by the police the same day and his bike and possessions returned to his family.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Very sad, condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

hora
    Free Member

Shit RIP 🙁

thegman67

Very sad RIP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh.

That’s terrible news. Thoughts to friends and family, especially at a time when many people’s thoughts are turning that way.

KOB, well done you! You did the right thing, and did all you could. I can only hope that I would react as well as you did in that situation.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Well done KOB. You’ve done a great service for the family. Also meehaja and the emergency services goes without saying.

Rip

CHB

Well done KOB. I am trained as a first aider, but sincerely hope never to need the skills! Condolences to friends and family of rider.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Very sad to hear this.

ICE- on android phones go to ‘Settings’ – ‘Security’ , then ‘owner info’ . Add ICE number and name and it will scroll across your locked screen.

Take care out there

ceejay
    Free Member

These are a great idea and I always put mine on if riding alone or even when I go boarding at Chill factore etc.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

raj1975
    Free Member

Hi there I think your talking about my mate Bobby who passed away on 20th December near Norfolk terrace.. We had a whatsapp thread going to meet up… Such a sad loss.. 2 young kids.. Whoever tried to help him cheers 🙂 it was a heart attack… Genetic in their family

raj1975
    Free Member

A few of us are going to do a charity bike ride from Liverpool to Leeds around June in his honor

hora
    Free Member

What route are you taking? Thats a big ride 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Raj, we did Liverpool to Leeds along the canal last August, did it in 19hrs & that was with a couple of complete novices.
    What route are you taking?

raj1975
    Free Member

Cheers guys… we will be doing the canal path from Liverpool to Leeds.. Not sure if we will do it in one day but hopefully the training will give us some idea 🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

Done it twice – once over two days to check it out (there’s a Premier Inn in Burnley that were ok with us having bikes in the room)

Once over one day – took us about 14 1/2 hrs including food breaks.

Have a look here – this helped us plan it Canal Ride

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘rider down, leeds’ is closed to new replies.