• This topic has 143 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Ride London
  • will
    Free Member

Boris did it in 8 hours, so you’ll be fine 😆

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve signed up again. Hopefully with more luck this time!

Those times are staggeringly fast – my PB for a century is about 5:30, which would only put me in the middle of that bell curve. Yet I’m usually faster than average when I do sportives, so what’s going on?

will
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Those times are staggeringly fast – my PB for a century is about 5:30, which would only put me in the middle of that bell curve. Yet I’m usually faster than average when I do sportives, so what’s going on?

Conditions were perfect. No Wind, closed roads and some big groups, very flat and the roads were quick (go condition)

jamiea
    Free Member

Done. Quite surprised at the reasonable entry fee too!

Cheers,
    Jamie

Kryton57

ransos – Member

Your worried. Mine’s 6:09. Although that was before I started club riding & proper training etc so I’d hope I could improve on that…

jam-bo

I’m entered, hopefully with a place riding for BLISS.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep I’m in. Want to do a sub-5 hour century, this seems optimal!

will
    Free Member

Njee – You’ll smash that, honestly this ride is so quick. I did a 4:09 for reference.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m in again. Completed last week’s in 4hrs 36 mins without too much bother. I’m aiming for 4:15 next year, a bit of specific training and (hopefully) an earlier start time so I don’t get tangled up in as much traffic on Leith and Box Hills should help matters!

Kryton57

Shibboleth – Member
    … a bit of specific training…

I’ve started some road training (by coincidence) 5 weeks ago. I need to get out and do a few more centuries, but more importantly change my century route so that I don’t back go past my house after the first 60k, its not good for motivation…..

njee20
    Free Member

Njee – You’ll smash that, honestly this ride is so quick. I did a 4:09 for reference.

So I read, very impressive! Gives me a year to get back to something resembling fitness!

ransos
    Free Member

Conditions were perfect. No Wind, closed roads and some big groups, very flat and the roads were quick (go condition)

Good to know! It would be great to dip under 5 hours, but that does rely on groups working together.

will
    Free Member

I think everybody was surprised with their times. For example there are few guys in the club who are fit but not amazing and most if not all dipped under the 5 hour mark.

TiRed

Ballot for 2014 opened at midnight. Closes once 80,000 have registered.

crazy-legs

I got my registration in earlier.

Timings – as others have said it’s amazing what you can do on closed roads and a flattish circuit like that.

xiphon
    Free Member

Managed 6:50, with zero training, and not ridden a bike in 6 weeks prior (broke my arm at Fort Bill Endurance race). Muscle fatigue in my bad arm was agony…

Now I know what to expect (first century), I’ve got a baseline to improve from.

captaindanger

I put down 5:30 which I thought was unreasonbably quick given lack of training (I hadn’t touched the road ike for a year before march), then did it in 4:50, and found that fairly easy

TiRed

Going for sub 4:30 this time as I rode the last half pretty much alone after losing my team.

nedrapier

Just registered.

I remember reading something about a guaranteed place if you missed out this year. Seemed a bit unlikely, and there was no “registered this year but no luck?” field in the reg. process.

Any truth in it?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I think the guaranteed places were if you won the first ballot but had to cancel your ride for some reason.

TiRed

And currently, there is no team registration (that’s coming in a few weeks). So I’m hoping that they make the event larger; 20,000 plus team entrants. And yes it was a fast event, but 4:09 is still VERY fast – that beat our Cat 2 team (4:20).

That plot of times is subdivided too finely. Do it by 30 minutes and you get a lovely smooth over-dispersed log-normal(ish) distribution. And if course there is digit bias to come under thresholds (5hrs, 6hrs…)

jam-bo

well, thats my place sorted.

ride for charity chaps, its the way forward.

Straightliner

50,000 applications for places in the first 24hrs!

I think they may need to think about growing the actual size of the event more quickly than they originally expected, or go off and create similar events around the country.

will
    Free Member

Tired – Did your club actually have a “team” entry? Think some of the guys in our club tried, but failed to organise it for some reason… Assume if they were in a team they all started together?

Yeah 4:09 is quick I guess, but conditions were perfect. Having said that I felt VERY strong on the day.

50,000 entries in the first 24 hours is seriously cool. I know a lot of people were inspired to enter (my boss for example who isn’t a cyclists at all) Just hope I get in again!

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Ride London’ is closed to new replies.