• This topic has 143 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Ride London
  • brakes
    Free Member

that would be great SamB – I’ll drop you an email – even to get an idea of the terrain.

elliptic
    Free Member

4:32 for me, great day.

I liked having the start pen letters on the race numbers, gave a good sense of how you were going relative to the other starters. Got a quick bunch off the front of the blue F pen and we were catching black D’s by Richmond Park 😯

eyerideit
    Free Member

Does anyone know which channel it was shown one?

I’d like to watch it, if I can.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    globalti
    Free Member

Didn’t do this one but I’ve done the Cape Argus three times and had a ball, the organisation is always excellent. That’s only 68 miles though, which is enough in the heat.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Does anyone know which channel it was shown one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=ride%20london

In Part 2 – the lead group are right opposite my place at 42:24…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It will probably get bigger than the Argus in time, but it will never be as good.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I finished in 4hrs 36 mins, got snarled up in lots of traffic in Richmond Park and on Leith Hill.

Someone should have a word with them southerners though, Box Hill is NOT a hill!!

Brilliant event, brilliant atmosphere and the most amazing organisation I’ve ever seen. I’d absolutely recommend it to everyone and would say a massive thanks to anyone that turned out to cheer and the marshals, they really did make a huge difference.

Reckon I could have gone much quicker if I hadn’t tried to wave to everyone! 😀

kilo

Shibboleth – Member

I finished in 4hrs 36 mins, got snarled up in lots of traffic …on Leith Hill.

You’re right BOx Hill is not a hill, what you need is clear run up Leith Hill to experience the full glory of that climb and this (cue shameless plug) can achieved by entering the hill climb up Leith Hill I am promoting on 28/9 – only £8 and a substantial prize list – entry here;

https://evententry.ctt.org.uk/

GH/42 Kingston Wheelers CC

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Fantastic event loved how the crowds came out having their own parties while supporting us, had a great ride but relaxed to much at the hubs because we didn’t get to bed until 12.30 night before and started without having breakfast so the smoked salmon bagel at hampton Court Hub was welcome, averaged 29.2 kmh 5.38.

I’m still flummoxed why there was Salad Cream in the goodie bags at the end, didn’t go well with the chewy pineapple. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

what about the toothpaste and 2 lemon drops???
    and where was the free T-shirt?

SkillWill
    Free Member

Yeah where was the t-shirt? The goody bag was total gash. What the f*ck do I want with a small sachet of salad cream?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My Ride London.

Hmm. 100 miles, you say?

Posted by Mike Dudley on Monday, August 5, 2013

SkillWill
    Free Member

The best bit in that vid ^ is when the dog gets loose, rapidly chased by its owner (at ~6:20) and you didn’t even comment on it.

Edit – also you’re quite odd.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah, I missed that. I was going blind with the sunlight.

Hmm. Odd, you say? How so?

elliptic
    Free Member

What the f*ck do I want with a small sachet of salad cream?

Second most random goody-bag item I’ve ever had, just behind the rubberised heavy-duty gardening gloves we got at the Maratona last year. All part of the fun 🙂

SkillWill
    Free Member

Hmm. Odd, you say? How so?

Sorry Woppit you’re not odd, you’re not. You’re not. Maybe a little ‘ironic’/’sarcastic’, that’s what I meant.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Liked the “Intelligently designed body” comment 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A moment of divine inspiration.

TiRed

kilo – thanks for the plug, just entered. Which way is the climb? Same as Ride London, I presume?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ballot for next year on the 14th. Definitely putting one in. Not going to miss this again!

happyrider
    Free Member

Mr Woppit Hilarious! I’ll give you a wave next time I go past on my commute! I expect a Neeeoowww if you see me!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Exciting!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ballot for next year on the 14th12th. Definitely putting one in. Not going to miss this again!

Fixed it for you!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Link to ballot details pretty please?

curiousyellow
    Free Member
    NigE5
    Free Member

So Whoppit do you live above that Chinese take away in the crescent or has that gone now

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No, and…. no.

crazy-legs

Never mind the link to the ballot, I’ve just seen a link to a petition to “stop Surrey being turned into a cycle track”

Amusingly, one of the reasons given by a signatory to this waste of time was as follows:
    Road safety. The numbers of cyclists on our roads, which are not designed for use by cyclists and motor vehicles at the same time:- IS NOW BECOMING DANGEROUS

Yes, that’s why we’ve taken the motor vehicles off to make it much less dangerous!

Bunch of bloody NIMBYs.
    I’ll be getting my ballot into the pile when it opens on 12th, not missing this again!

rootes1

actually looked like a fab event, but think perhaps it has done more to promote cycling as a sport etc i.e. something you dress up special to do rather than push the agenda for better infrastructure for general everyday cycling

DezB
    Free Member

crazy-legs : This?

started by This? 😆

rootes1

driver regular shout at cyclist out in the surrey hills…

one a couple weeks ago “fYcking get off the F&cking roads cycling knobs”

actually can see how frustrating it must be if you live in that area… lots of cyclists, clubs and sportives..

but again all for ‘sport’ does not help the improving general infrastructure case..

soon they will be a road rage incident where a motorist runs cyclists over in the surrey hills

elliptic
    Free Member

actually looked like a fab event, but think perhaps it has done more to promote cycling as a sport etc i.e. something you dress up special to do rather than push the agenda for better infrastructure for general everyday cycling

There was a much less lycra-focused Saturday event with ~50000 people riding a loop round the sights in central London on their shopper bikes or whatever, a couple of friends I was staying with did it and they had a fun day out. Plus the crits on Saturday night and the pro road race on Sunday afternoon… whole thing was a pretty well thought out package actually.

For the sake of idle curiosity here’s the spread of times from Sunday to show how quick it was:

brakes
    Free Member

interesting. why is that not smoother?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno about that one, but similar histograms for marathons aren’t smooth as people push to get under certain specific times.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

actually can see how frustrating it must be if you live in that area…

Anyone from that area who thinks bikes are the major problem on their roads is suffering from an almighty case of cognitive dissonance.

It’s an area where kids get banned from walking or biking to school because of motor traffic, ffs:
    http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Children-banned-walking-cycling-North-Downs/story-18210883-detail/story.html

rootes1

There was a much less lycra-focused Saturday event with ~50000 people riding a loop round the sights in central London on their shopper bikes or whatever, a couple of friends I was staying with did it and they had a fun day out.

yer but still on closed roads.. nice event though.

Anyone from that area who thinks bikes are the major problem on their roads is suffering from an almighty case of cognitive dissonance.

It’s an area where kids get banned from walking or biking to school because of motor traffic, ffs:
    http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/Children-banned-walking-cycling-North-Downs/story-18210883-detail/story.html

shocking!

can see it sometimes though if people drive up from say Sheer and there is a sportive on or lots of roadies out (that is me).

a period of adjustment perhaps is needed.. bit like the lady you takes pictures of all the cyclists outside the shop in peaslake.. i think she has a fetish.

kilo

crazy-legs – Member

Never mind the link to the ballot, I’ve just seen a link to a petition to “stop Surrey being turned into a cycle track”

Amusingly, one of the reasons given by a signatory to this waste of time was as follows:
    Road safety. The numbers of cyclists on our roads, which are not designed for use by cyclists and motor vehicles at the same time:- IS NOW BECOMING DANGEROUS

Yes, that’s why we’ve taken the motor vehicles off to make it much less dangerous!

Bunch of bloody NIMBYs.
    I’ll be getting my ballot into the pile when it opens on 12th, not missing this again!

or maybe sign this one;

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/surrey-county-council-continue-to-support-the-ride-london-cycling-event-each-year

will
    Free Member

Ballot opens today people 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Done. 100 miles. Gulp.

Kryton57

Mr Woppit – Member
    Done. 100 miles. Gulp.

Me too!!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Ride London’ is closed to new replies.