Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rice cookers
  • Pigface
    Free Member

A woman brought some rice into work and it was perfect, mine comes out ok about 1 out of 5 times. She uses a rice cooker but doesn’t know what make it is, came over from Malaysia with her.

Anyone recommend a good rice cooker?

chewkw
    Free Member

Any rice cooker should do but try Argos’ Cookworks 1.5 Litre Rice Cooker – £12 rice cooker to get use to the idea first. Once you get to know how to use it proper then invest in a good one.

🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Rice cookers are ace. I ‘fell heir’ to one (one of those standard kitchen brands).

Does rice perfect every time (well just as long you get the cup to water ratio correct (the ex used to struggle with this…) 🙄

grum
    Free Member

As long as you get the cup to water ratio right it’s really easy to cook rice properly in a pan.

Bring it up to boil then turn it down as low as it will go and put a lid on it – when all the water has evaporated it will be perfectly cooked (if you got the ratio right) and you don’t even have to drain it.

I normally do roughly one cupfull of rice with a little less than 1.5 cupfulls of water.

It’s nice if you fry a few spices in a little oil briefly then chuck in the rice for a minute or two before adding the water.

Klunk
    Free Member

my method for cooking basmati rice, rinse well, boil/simmer to al dente (for the stuff we buy it’s 8-10 mins) drain and leave to cool in the fridge, fluff occasionally with a fork. When you need it nuke in microwave for 2 mins.

Junkyard
    Free Member

place rice in pan, bring to boil, turn of heat, place lid on pan wait 10 mins [ or however long the cook time is plus a few mins ish] drain and eat- no need to even measure the water
    So easy even a STW er could do it

mrjmt
    Free Member

This is what we use. Top job every time and you can use it for other stuff too if you so want.

aP
    Free Member

Bought one last year in Clas Ohlson – about £12 – its been fine, very easy to use.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I use same quantity of rice to water. Usually about a cup/nearly a mug full for two people. Use a wide, pan. Pour over boiling water. Pinch of salt. Bring to boil, the turn down to bare simmer. Cover. Simmer for seven minutes. Turn off heat. Leave covered for another seven minutes. Bosh.

I have tried rinsing before cooking, and not rinsing at all. I’m not sure it makes a difference (or maybe it depends on what rice you buy.)

vorlich
    Free Member

We have a Tefal which is going well. Recommended.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We’ve got one of these and its great….

http://www.jamieathome.com/shop/products/Really-Good-Rice-Pot-100734WHT.html

Fill rinsed rice to the level. Fill with water to the water level. Blast in the microwave for 7 mins, leave to stand for 10 mins. Perfect rice every time. Replace water with stock for flavoured rice or add spices to the water for pilau rice.

benp1

Try a microwave steamer, since getting one of those about 8 years ago I haven’t used my rice cooker for normal use, only if doing rice for lots of people

yen
    Free Member

Its all about the water to rice ratio. Get this right and you will get perfect rice all the time with any rice cooker or sauce pan

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

came over from Malaysia with her

That would probably make it a National..

dannybgoode

As per the method know as the Cambodian Steamed Rice method put one part rice and two parts water (doesn’t harm to put in an extra dash of water) into a pan with a pinch of salt.

Full heat until the water *just* starts boiling over. Turn the heat right down to minimum (gas cooker really helps here) for 10 minutes and then off for 5 minutes.

Perfect rice every time…

Cheers

Danny B

mrblobby
    Free Member

… but doesn’t the method of cooking depend on the type of rice being cooked?

bearnecessities

Perfect rice every time…

Cheers

Uncle B

neilnevill
    Free Member

water to rice ratio, and cooking time both depend on the type of rice, and personal preference.

+1 for a microwave steamer.

A Bangladeshi colleague tells me his mum does amazing rice. apparently she boils in loads of water, drains the water off once the rice is cooked but returns the rice (still in the pan) to the heat briefly, stiring and fluffing. Not tried it myself.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

I find the offspring of my grandfather’s bibi from the Spin Ghar region do a most excellent job.

luffy105
    Free Member

We’ve got a 40 year old National that has alays made perfect rice. The cable is knackered though,, will be sad to see it go.

Spent a happy afternoon looking at new rice cookers in a supermarket in Xian. Those Chinese have some very funky looking rice cookers but couldn’t even figure out how to switch them on.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Chinese kid I lived with taught me, – 1 cup to about 1.5 ish water.

Get to boiling, lid and heat right down as far as you can without the gas flame going out, for 12 mins.

It’s generally pretty perfect.

Drac

2 water to 1 part rice.

Put the water in then the rice I’ve found little difference in rinsing it first, bring to the boil and then as mentioned turn down to a gentle simmer, never stir it or disturb it. After around 10 minutes or so you should see small holes appearing in parts of the rices at this point it’s ready.

It’s one of those things I can cook though, the wife can’t but she can make perfect poached eggs without any effort.

Rice cookers are just a gimmick.

chewkw
    Free Member

Jujuuk68 – Member

Chinese kid I lived with taught me, – 1 cup to about 1.5 ish water.

Get to boiling, lid and heat right down as far as you can without the gas flame going out, for 12 mins.

^^^ this one when my rice cooker broke.

TooTall
    Free Member

Rice cookers are just a gimmick.

They might be to you and your root vegetable ways, but they are very popular in the Far East where rice is a staple.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Am I the only one that thought the thread title promised a more controversial thread? 😆

bigrich

every asian family and friend I know use rice cookers, they are as standard as a kettle.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rice cookers’ is closed to new replies.