Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Reviving M775 XT Brakes – or are they dead?
  • matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have used the lockdown period to get my single speed back up and running. All is fine apart from the XT M775 brakes which have zero stopping ability. I had problems with the original set leaking in cold weather at the callipers, which was sorted with warranty replacement many years ago.

I’ve bled them twice and they are solid when doing that. Replaced pads and liberally sprayed disc brake cleaner around them. Took them for a ride yesterday and even with some good hard braking they just don’t bite.

They aren’t soft as though they need a bleed, but I can pedal with them pulled right on and squealing.

Any other things to try before I go and spend on some new brakes?

zeesaffa
    Free Member

What type of disc brake cleaner have you used?

It might be worth sending the top layer of the pads.

unovolo
    Free Member

Wipe down your discs with Isopropyl, then lightly sand with clean sandpaper to remove any glazing or contamination.

If you have access to a blow torch, take your pads out and wipe with isopropyl and heat with the blow torch (you dont need to cook them).

once cooled again put some clean sandpaper on a flat surface and rub the pad faces over them.

Reassemble and ride

stevextc
    Free Member

Buy some new pads and clean the rotor…. then try and see if you can save the current ones.
    At least that way you know where the issue is for the price of a set of pads.

You could though for the price difference replace the calipers for any BH90

matthewlhome
    Free Member

thanks for the help. I had cleaned them up but not properly it seems. Used IPA and then actually wiped the discs clean. A new set of organic pads and they work again 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Reviving M775 XT Brakes – or are they dead?’ is closed to new replies.