• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Review: Shimano MT7 Winter Boots
  • chipps

These Shimano MW7 winter boots are designed to remove any excuses you have about winter riding. Forget ‘it’s too cold’ or ‘it’s too wet’ as the idea o …

By chipps

Get the full story on our front page at:

Review: Shimano MT7 Winter Boots

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

benpinnick

The more obvious competitor is the MW5, which I can report offers everything the MW7 does, but with a simpler (but still using a pull up cord not laces) lacing system, I believe a slightly longer cleat slot, and something waterproof-but-not-goretex instead of goretex. I’ve had mine for a year and still the best winter shoes I ever owned. 10/10!

bruneep

Boots with shorts on, really? That’s  just a water ingress waiting to happen.

IdleJon

Mine were useless. They repeatedly flooded last autumn, until after one 40 minute commute home I poured a full third of a pint of water from each boot. (This was a torrentially wet day, but it was entirely on tarmac albeit with a lot of surface water – not more than a few cms deep.) I’m not sure whether there was a batch of faulty boots but a colleague had the same issue – both pairs got sent back to Madison. We have both used winter boots before, and have both been riding forever so know that boots are never fully waterproof, but our experience with these was pretty poor.

I replaced them with NW Arctic boots which have been much better. I rode home on a similarly wet day a few weeks ago and poured some water out of the boots, but not the 1/3rd pint that I filmed last year! 😀

ads678

I’ve got the MW5’s used for commuting winter 2019/20 along a filthy canal tow path and they were great. I also used a set of grip grab gaiters but my feet were dry when I got to work. I paid less than £100 for tham, I just couldn’t justify the extra for the MW7’s.

stingmered

Got the MW5’s last winter and they’ve been amazing. Originally had the MW7s lined up but Covid/Stock issues meant they unavailable. However when I read a few reviews it appeared the MW5s were the one to go for anyway, better closure system, and some were saying more waterproof. Dunno whether this is true, but the 5s have been excellent. Warm and toasty, but also room enough that you can wear a merino sock and still have plenty of room to wiggle your toes and keep the blood going.

vmgscot

Been running MW7’s two winters now and they are great. Much roomier than the previous MW80 and I definitely didn’t need to size up this time. They are also a lot warmer than MW80’s so I rarely need more than woolie boolies even in snow rides. When water gets in feet stays warm.

b33k34

I really like them (wore through last winter).

“something that has a limited season, as they really can get too warm to ride once spring is here”.

Not that limited – they’re gore-tex so they do breathe a bit and with thin socks (wooleators) I reckon you can wear them comfortably all year when it’s muddy. I switched to mine in October and was wearing them into April last year. Add woolly boolies in Winter months for warmth.

The Boa dial/lace on these seems to work way better then the twin boa dials I’ve got on a pair of spec shoes (which have to be regularly retightened during a ride) and the flap over the top is a win. Studs are a disadvantage on rock so I reckon better without.

To criticise, they don’t seem super warm – in the coldest weather they could do with more insulation – and the ‘let-water-in-level’ could be higher, but they’re by far the best iteration of these boots yet.

scuttler

Still on MW80’s (faultless) so watching with interest.

b33k34

Still on MW80’s (faultless) so watching with interest.

Better fit (higher internal volume for the same size, less toe squeeze), better tightening mechanism, better sole for both grip and walking, longer slot for better cleat position. I’m using my MW80’s on my road bike now.

tjagain

Not that limited – they’re gore-tex so they do breathe a bit and with thin socks (wooleators) I reckon you can wear them comfortably all year when it’s muddy.

I have a pair and cannot wear them if its above freezing – simply too hot and my feet get so sweaty.  Its an odd one – I generally run cold but my feet are always hot.

kcal

Still got some WH-100s (I think that’s them) – blue / yellow scheme – after a review back in STW. Good study boots. Other boots also in the shed..

fossy

Older MW7, pre BOA. Great. Use when muddy in summer too.

fatmax

I disagree with the review here, and I’m more aligned with @idlejon. Think I was on the MW80 previously and loved them, tho the sole was a bit slippy.
    The sole on these is great and I love the Boa closure. Buy otherwise I’ve found the leak more that my previous Shimano boots, the uppers are too baggy, and the sole isn’t stiff enough. Really disappointed. Had plenty of other Shimano shoes and they’ve always been great 🤷‍♂️

cloggy

In my experience waterproof boots eventually let water in, but don’t let it out. Ditto for SealSkins which turn my feet into prunes. I did the Real Ale Wobble on Sunday and after a time you just like your feet to be warm, forget dry.

oldnpastit

The title is wrong.

Review: Shimano MT7 Winter Boots – No excuses boots for winter riding

Title says MT7, but then the review talks about MW7.

fossy

I use drysuit wrist seals cut down over the neoprene when it’s really wet. Shoes get filled from the water running off your legs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Review: Shimano MT7 Winter Boots’ is closed to new replies.