Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reverse fitting upvc door
  • Lummox

Having basically zero knowledge of how upvc inward/outward opening doors differ in construction I’m seeking advice.

I’m looking for a second hand garage side door, that opens outward.

Rocking horse wotsit, but can find multiple inward opening ones that would be suitable.

Apart from the beads being fixed externally what differences are there to the seals or drain holes etc and could I modify one successfully to operate in the opposite direction?

Thanks

stumpyjon

All you could do is spin the whole thing 180 but then your internal hinges would be on the outside and pretty vulnerable. External beads would also be a major issue, doors designed with external beading tend to use security tape to hold panels in if the beading is removed, internally beaded doors don’t. Drainage probably won’t be a problem as the door will probably drain through the bottom of the frame into the sill, however all the seals are on the inside so a lot more water than usual with get into the door and frame.

Lummox

I reckon I could probably sort the hinges (maybe replace them with external ones like on our french doors.)

The door shouldn’t get absolutely smashed with rain as it’ll be under the eaves of a single story garage and hoping the channels would exist to add appropriate seals if the fitted ones aren’t suitable. I guess blocking the drain holes if they would drain the wrong way and adding new ones to drain out might be an option.

Just trying to avoid dropping the money on something that ends up as useless.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

They definitely do exist, I’ve got one on the side of my house.

Search for uPVC Back door on eBay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just trying to avoid dropping the money on something that ends up as useless.

Your rapidly heading that way trying to fit a door back to front.

By the time you have fannied about fitting a nice insecure pvc door to your garage you could have bought a steel security door that does what you ask as designed

mick_r

I recently replaced a nearly new uPVC external opening garage door but unfortunately now sold to a guy at work. I’d fitted fairly tidy hinge claws so it wouldn’t come out even if hinges cut off:
    https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc-door-hinge-protector-dog-bolt-claw-anti-jemmy-part.html

I now have a Lathams steel door and it is amazingly solid and surprisingly easy to fit. The ultra security versions are actually a bit overkill – even their most basic door will be more secure than uPVC and cheaper / much less of a bodge.

Budget Steel Door

csb

As scruffy says, upvc back doors are what you need. Replace the glass panels with the solid boards if that bothers you.

mick_r

For £275 (delivered) you can have a brand new UK made steel door in steel frame with full wind out fixing kit, 19 point locking, hinge bolts etc.

How much does a second hand uPVC door plus fixings plus hinge dogs plus new panels cost? And at the end of it you still have a crappy insecure door.

damascus
    Free Member

Those steel doors look like a real bargain!

Lummox

I’m back!

Looked into those metal doors and yes very tempting but with the size adjustment and the options I’d want the cost took them out of what I could reasonably justify.

Just as I was starting to reconsider my plan what should pop up less than 5 miles away? yup an outward opening upvc door with the hinges on the correct side and only a slight adjustment to the opening required for £90.

Snapped it up and after swapping the lintel tomorrow hopefully installing either later on  or on Wednesday.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.