Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Reverb – what if…
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

..you have a major pile up and destroy the remote button, or rip it off the hose. It does sit in a bit of a vulnerable position on top of the bars and I’ve certainly done some damage to my brake levers in the past.

With the remote gone or not functioning, is the saddle fixed in the up position, down position, where you had it, or does it zoom up and down under your bum?

druidh
    Free Member

Lots of folk ripping these off, or being careless and breaking them while fitting a wheel…

honourablegeorge

Mount it under the bars, safe as.

rickmeister

RH remote, fits neatly under the bars on the left, relatively crashproof, out of the way and gives your left hand something to do as your probably braking/changing gear with the right.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Keep the little travel limiter collar that comes with the post in your bag then if you do have a problem at least you can lock the saddle in position,

honourablegeorge

andysredmini – Member
    Keep the little travel limiter collar that comes with the post in your bag then if you do have a problem at least you can lock the saddle in position,

Now there’s a cunning plan. I might just stick mine in my camelbak.

Gotama
    Free Member

I would guess that it will stay in the position you last had it in as the hydraulic line is more of an actuator* than physically moving it up or down. *guesswork*

What i do know is that sram will then relieve you of about £50 for a new one.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

So seems there are two schools of thought. It will either stay where it was, or just go up and down so you can use the seat collar trick which sounds good.

Although it would be an annoying expense, I’m less worried about £50 than I am about having to cycle 10k back to the car with the seat down and darkness approaching

Gotama
    Free Member

Under the bars saved mine in a few crashes. Stops you putting the bike on it when you flip it too. Had a friend who broke the button off his in a crash but the unit was ok. He managed to poke a small allen key in there to operate the post.

messiah
    Free Member

Safe as it can be tucked in here like this.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is there not an iphone app to replace it yet? 🙄

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I am pretty sure it fails to the locked position – it relies in pressure in the hose to release. Air in the line prevents release. In this case, it would stay put and you should be able to pull it up.

I went for the 420mm version and there is enough post to raise it conventionally to get me home.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Thanks for that pic Messiah. I like the idea of mounting it underneath but when I looked at my mate’s I wasn’t sure it would fit there without fouling the shifter. I use the Hope matchmaker clamps with my X9 shifters so not sure I would have the same ability to play around with positioning.

If all else fails I suppose I could mount it inboard of the brake/shifter mount and accept that I have to move my hand a bit to get at it

kelvin

Same here: RH lever, mounted under the bars on the left.

(also using the same Yetl pattern grips, they’re still ace)

h4muf
    Free Member

It stays up if you break the remote. Don’t assume it’s safe under the bars.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reverb-remotesbit-fragile-arent-they

Trimix
    Free Member

But if you break the remote with the seat down, it stays down.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

But if the seat is down you can pull it up and it will stay there.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, thanks guys. If there’s any money left after Christmas I’m definitely going for the Reverb and mounting it under the LH bar. Good to know that you can pull it up if you lose the remote

ryanctj
    Free Member

Under bar mounting is the way to go. Might need a bit of jiggling to get it to fit with your levers/shifters, but far better protected. The Reverb manual even has a diagram warning you not to turn your bike upside down if fitted on top where it should be. Mad design decision. And as a fairly new dropper owner, get one, they’re superb!

dday

ooh. Iphone app, what fun one could have remotely controlling other riders seatposts 😈

superfli
    Free Member

Some italian lift attendant broke mine whilst in up position. Very easy for people to break them at seatpost if you have the 2011 rubber boot cover (now metal cover). I didnt notice until top of mountain. Post stuck in highest position. Eye watering ride back down to swap seat posts! 2nd day of bloody holiday too!

Northwind

Aye, a chap at the SDA Glencoe Red race broke the hose off his on the chairlift (it’s not very Reverb-compatible) and was left up the mountain with a full height post. And o’course unlike a cable one there’s no simple way to actuate it.

So, he opened the seatpost up from underneath and removed all the gubbins. Bit extreme, but only way to do it.

As far as the lever- under bar is better protected but I’ve still seen a couple broken in that position, it’s not a very strong part. Which combines nicely with not being a very cheap part!

h4muf
    Free Member

I only moved my hand to scroll through the Garmin then SNAP 🙁

nasher
    Free Member

under the seatclamp there is a valve that you can press that will allow you to move the post..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Reverb – what if…’ is closed to new replies.