Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Roof Bars – Thule or Halfords?
  • boondock

Been looking at getting some roof bars for the new car – Thule square bars + feet come in quite a lot more expensive than the equivalent Halfords ones.
    Is there any reason to choose the Thule ones over the cheaper Halfords ones? I will be getting a pair of 591 cycle carriers and everything will be removed from the car when they’re not being used.

Cheers.

stumpyjon

Halfords are fine, Thule are much nicer, but probably not worth the extra, especially if you do intend to actually take them off. Just double check how they attach, the Thule ones may be a lot easier and possibly justify the extra cost for the reduced faff factor.

matther01
    Free Member

Try Automaxi Supra’s. They get good right up’s and are cheap, sturdy and mine don’t make too much noise either.

Try Larkspeed – mine were £40.00 plus postage

T666DOM

I got some aero bars from lidl last week, with feet included for £25. Absolute bargain, there’s locks on the feet but i don’t know how secure they’ll be, no probs for me as they wouldn’t be left unattended.

andyl
    Free Member

the lidl ones are only for roof bars arent they? And the T slots are too small for Thule bike racks.

chojin
    Free Member

What car is it for?

petrieboy

Thule. But get as much as you can 2nd hand and when you change car, replacement footpacks can be bought and sold on eBay for next to no cost. I got square bars, feet and adapters (from 2 separate listings) for £35 all in.

MartynS

got a Thule aero rack and 2 carriers I want to sell.. the bars/feet are to wide for my car now. Oh and the feet are for roof bars on an estate..

if your interested Mail me!

enfht
    Free Member

I use Whispbars. Silent, less drag and solid. I got the adjustable width version to stand the most chance of them fitting my next car. Thule 591 fits on top.

bikebob

I have Thule sq bars and Thule clamps for most estate car raised (not flush) rails. Also have two Thule bike racks, alumni but old style. Selling all if interested. Email in profile.

asterix
    Free Member

Thule every time over Halfords. Halfords stuff is probably cheaper but is poor from a design and use point of view and you will regret saving a few quid for a long time if you gO for the Halfords stuff. I once bought the worst designed most awful bike rack known to man from Halfords. Don’t do it

bones76
    Free Member

MartynS YGM

zerocool

Thule make the Halfords bars if that helps your decision, they are just a slightly lower grade steel and rebranded

Macgyver

I knew I was going to be changing cars within a year or so of buying roof bars, and went for Halfords modular systemover Thule as it was cheaper but still seemed pretty good quality.

They were fine. BUT when I got the new car I went to get the different feet for the roof bars to find out that they had completely changed their modular system and would have to buy a complete new set of bars and feet again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Barstewards!!!!
    Anyone want Halfords roof bars for a Peugeot 405?

footflaps

Likewise, I have the full kit for a Mark IV golf, inc two bike carriers – all for sale in Cambridge area…

mike_p
    Free Member

I use Whispbars. Silent, less drag and solid. I got the adjustable width version to stand the most chance of them fitting my next car. Thule 591 fits on top.

Exactly the same here, FTW!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Roof Bars – Thule or Halfords?’ is closed to new replies.