Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Reverb stealth problem
  • dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi lads

My reverb stealth was working OK apart from it would sink about 10mm when I sat on it. However I have been for a ride tonight and I noticed the post was returning a bit slow and the button was also returning slow.
    After I got back and cleaned my bike I pushed on my seat and the post was dropping a few inches without the button being pushed. I pushed the button and the post went right down however it stayed there. When I I try and pull the post back up it socks back down itself.
    Do you think a bleed will fix this?

Cheers.

K

No, unfortunately it needs a proper service.

rmprest
    Free Member

Mines just gone the same way, 10 monhs old.

Currently back a total the LBS for warranty

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers. Do you know what causes this?

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Just looked at the price of the service kits. Seem a bit expensive think I would rather just buy a new brand and change it if it breaks 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

The sag is air and oil mixed. Usually this is related to up weight being put on the saddle while post is in the down position. I’ve heard people claim storing bike upside down also causes, but has never affected mine in over six years.

Slow returning could be related but Reverbs are known for slow action in cold weather so could be that is all the problem is re the slowness.

The rest of the ‘stuck down’ thing is definitely in service land though.

jimdubleyou

Usually this is related to up weight being put on the saddle while post is in the down position.

I thought it was pulling up on it when it’s not fully up that caused sag?

Oh god, now there’s (at least) two ways for it to break…

jamesoz

Mine did this on a cold day then worked in the warmer garage, a bleed and oil height reset (basically a service) fixed it. I fitted a DeHy.
    Try bleeding it then afterwards drop the saddle, turn the bike upside down and press the button.

Worth learning to service a Reverb even the minor service in my opinion.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Haha seems strange that mine went while I was washing it as if the hose caused it but don’t think it did. Unless it was because it was freezing cold and the water made it colder and caused something to contract.

jamesoz

The basic service kit is about £15 iirc. Was all mine needed, didn’t need brass keys etc. Just seals, foam and bushing. Depends how worn it is I guess, mine was just out of warranty.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers mate. I can handle that lol. Also just seen you can get the full service done for 39 on eBay. That’s cheaper than the parts. However I like taking stuff to bits 😀😀😀

This new to me bike is going to end up like triggers brush lol

calv145
    Free Member

Pulling up on the post when it’s not fully up or pressing the button when the bike is upside down is generally what causes the problem. I’m 18 months into mine and it’s been spot on. I have taken it apart once when it got a bit rough after a full days ride in biblical rain and sandy soil. I didn’t even let the air out. Just disconnected the connectamajig, undone the seal, took the circlip off the bottom and took it apart to clean and regrease the seal and brass keys. Went back together without even bleeding.

vincienup
    Free Member

Usually this is related to up weight being put on the saddle while post is in the down position.

I thought it was pulling up on it when it’s not fully up that caused sag?

Oh god, now there’s (at least) two ways for it to break…

My bad phrasing. Pulling up in the saddle is what I meant but I was trying to include other things like hanging on a workstand that could put the same loading on without consciously pulling up…

johnas7
    Free Member

im currently having problems with my stealth dropper. Stopped working altogether but was under warranty. Took it to bike shop, they sent it off for £20 to get it rebuilt. Got it back and started to install it. As i pulled it through the frame, i mustve pulled to hard and the hose came away from the barb that attaches to the bottom of the seat post and all the fluid leaked out. I then decided to bleed it, slowly put it through the frame, set it up, and was chuffed as it worked straight away, then 2 mins later wouldnt work at all. Bled it again, worked straight away, then suddenly stopped. Not sure why, seems like all the fluid is leaking out somewhere.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

How reliable are the reverb?
    This is my first one and it come on a used bike. I had no trouble with a brand x on my previous bike so am tempted to get another but if the reverb are generally reliable I will repair it.

kelvin

Don’t bother.

jamesoz

I’ve had a few droppper posts and the Reverb works for me because I can fix it. Ultimately droppers all start to sag or fail in some way, especially if not looked after.
    I decided rebuilding is preferable to binning. If a reverb plays up before an event or holiday I ‘should’ be able to sort it with some time/effort as opposed to trying to get hold of a new cartridge/creating more Waste.
    On the other hand if it was badly worn and stanchion damaged I’d have a slightly different view.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Just an update. I did a bit reading and tried one of the suggestions.
    I let the air out of the post which allowed me to fully extend it.
    I then bled remote and post.
    Turns out my shock pump is too fat at the end to reach the valve (typical).
    I used my lezyne mini track pump and fit 130psi in the post.
    It now drops and returns but still drops around 40mm when pressed on. I am going to see if I can borrow a track pump that fits to put the 250psi in and try it.
    If it works do you think that the basic service kit will sort it?

jamesoz

I’d download the workshop manual from SRAM. It’s not a terrible job but you need a couple of tools to set the oil and ifp height.
    I made the oil height tool from a length of brake pipe, tubing and a syringe. The IFP setting tool I bought as it was cheap although it could be made too, it’s just a tube with measurements on.

The basic service kit should see it working again, curing the sag is usually about resetting the IFP/oil height.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi mate.
    Thanks for reply. I’ve pumped it up to 250 and it works fine apart from from 20mm sag. I will get the service kit but seems sold out most places. Do you know how I tell what model I have I.e. A1 etc. Its a stealth that come on a 2016 reign 1.
    Cheers

vincienup
    Free Member

2016 should be a B1. Does it have gold writing around the top of The stanchion, just below the seat clamp?

Model identification stuff and a lot more here

(Page 6 for the model ID stuff)

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Mine must be an A2 no gold writing.
    Thanks for all the help lads but just ordered another Brand x post. I couldn’t find the basic service kit for sale anywhere i would also have to buy bleed kit as don’t like borrowing all the time also new shock pump as mine doesn’t fit . I might hang on to it and fix it at my Leasure or might sell it on fleabay for spares repair.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Reverb stealth problem’ is closed to new replies.