Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reverb service Vs Budget dopper?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My original silver colared mk1 reverb has finally developed some bounce, no amount of bleeding will speed it up and TBH it’s always had more slop than it should probably have had. On the one hand It was expensive, and therefore a waste to throw it away*. On the other hand the trigger is fragile and whilst it could be user serviced it’s not exactly straightforward.

Cost to get someone to service the reverb ~£100 by the time it’s posted etc.

Cost to get a brand-x dropper – £100-£130 depending on how much travel I want and my desire to attack my frame with a dremel. And if it makes it to the end of it’s 2 year warranty period it’s still cheaper than even buying the parts and DIY servicing the reverb at it’s recommended intervals.

*via an honest ebay ad before some enterprising individual offers 2p and a mars bar for it, we’re talking green and blacks money at a minimum.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

TINAS, It’s £65 for full service at Bounce on the original reverbs

rubymurry
    Free Member

I’ve got a reverb and the brand x, and to be honest I prefer the brand x. Bounce are great with servicing the reverb but for £100 the brand x wins for me seems to be a proper solid Seatpost and comes with a 2 year warranty I think

craig24
    Free Member

Just had a similar though process myself and ordered a Brand X, only heard good things.

mjsmke

Why not go for the Brand X, then practice rebuilding and servicing on your Reverb? Thats what I plan to do later in the year if (when) my reverb develops more of sag.

Northwind

It doesn’t need a service to fix sag, it just needs a reset- basically a strip and rebuild with existing parts. It’s not <straightforward> but it’s not too hard either, they were designed with servicing in mind and the rockshox vids walk you through it nicely. People say you should replace the IFP with the newer versions but the latest one still leaks air and causes sag so I’m not sure there’s any point.

But that won’t fix play of course.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I assume the £65 is only what northwind describes, they have a £95 option as well which seems to be the price most places quote for rebuild with new bushings/piston rather than just refill the damper and lube.

Bird are local to me so that’s where I’d take it anyway.

Tempted to do as mjsmke suggests and get the B-X and then do the reverb. If its terminal I’ve lost nothing other than the scrap value of a reverb and if it works then I’d probably be able to sell it for a profit or just keep it until I have two bikes again.

Its on the fat bike so TBH it’s not exactly necessary and gets ridden through filth and neglected a lot too!

mjsmke

My plan was to keep the Reverb as a spare for when the new one needs servicing or breaks. Theres nothing worse than a part breaking just before a week off work or an event so spares are always a good thing.

downhillfast
    Free Member

YouTube. Service kit. Life skills learnt. Job done.

Although….   I don’t  understand folk who spend £60-100 each year maintaining their Reverb, year after year.  There comes a point where it’s more economical to replace it and sod the servicing!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Although….   I don’t  understand folk who spend £60-100 each year maintaining their Reverb

I don’t object to servicing, it’s a moving part exposed to a lot of abuse. The fact its lasted 5 years with nothing more than a liberal dousing of stanchion lube is the surprise!

Plenty of bits cost almost as much to service as they do to replace, looking at the service kits its pretty much everything as side from the chassis.

If it was a cheap seatpost it would either get binned or need just as much servicing, its not going to be significantly more robust (except maybe a gravity dropper).

Poopscoop

Brand X droppers have shot back up in price.

I would still get one though over a reverb service!

I have just got my second one, the XL for £90 after discounts. Friggin bargain. Linked to a bonty lever and it’s great. Had the original 120mm before and was also great.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reverb service Vs Budget dopper?’ is closed to new replies.