Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Reverb remote underneath??? :(
  • jane135
    Free Member

Hello,

In a few days i’m going to buy the reverb and I don´t know which is the best one to buy if left or right remote.

I´d like to set the remote underneath but I don´t know if I can.

I´ve Shimano slx cassette and Avid Elixir 7 brakes

What do You think?

🙄

somafunk

Underneath the bars it works fine, on top of the bars it works fine – down to your personal preference.

I fit them every day in the shop and generally folk want them on top, left hand side with shifter windows removed as you can fit them closer together.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

I run a reverb and slx cassette with no issues. ?!?

I’m also running a right hand remote on the left, upside down in the “protected” position no dramas.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Under the bar mounting puts it out of harms way in a crash (and damaging the lever can be a very expensive business) and I personally find it easier to actuate there as your thumb is closer to the piston.

However it is possible to catch the piston with your knee or in the fold of baggy shorts when it’s mounted under the bar. If You’re riding a shorter bike that’s more likely than a more stretched out position.

creamegg
    Free Member

I orignally wanted my remote on the left hand side upside down, but due to the configuration of my brakes and shifters the remote just won’t fit so it’s on the right hand side at the top and works just fine.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just put mine on and the remote is underneath on the right hand side. Tend to have the bike upside down before riding and the remote would bare the brunt if it were in top.

continuity
    Free Member

Underneath on the left hand side (so a right hand remote) is probably the easiest, and it fits best if you’re 1x.

wallop

I’ve got a right hand remote flipped to the underneath on the left. I run 2×10 so it’s quite far inboard but I’ve got used to it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I fitted the wife’s rh lever upside down on the left with tech brakes and xt 9 speed shifters.

legend
    Free Member

I run 2×10 so it’s quite far inboard

2x 9 here, and the remote is the most outboard of my controls.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This is what I settled on, I really would have preferred it on the other end (you use the front shifter a lot less than the rear), so If I’d known how it was going to end up when buying, I would have gone for the other.

wallop

2x 9 here, and the remote is the most outboard of my controls.

I can’t do that as I wouldn’t be able to reach my brake lever.

proutster
    Free Member

Right-hand lever, upside down on the left for me:

Well protected and out-of-the-way, even for someone that crashes as regularly as I do 😳

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Proutster^you must have some super long thumbs to reach that.
    Protected from what?
    Just have it on top.
    Mine rests on the shifter so I can have it a little loose.
    When turning bike upside down rotate lever parallel with ground.
    Simple.

legend
    Free Member

Trying to link to this using my phone so apologies if it fails

[Img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6094/6860341876_14a8bbb606_b.jpg[/img]

proutster
    Free Member

sonofapitch

Proutster^you must have some super long thumbs to reach that.

Yes, it is a bit of a stretch and seeing the other photo above reminds me that it’s not ideal. I think I need to swap it so that it’s next to the grip.

Protected from what?

Peak District rocks when I crash… Wore a big chunk off the front of the shifter mount a couple of weeks ago and I’m pretty sure that the remote would’ve taken the brunt of the impact if it was on the top.

Plus (expects flaming and the re-awakening of an old topic) I’m guilty of flipping the bike upside down to carry out trail-side repairs (punctures etc.), so I think it’d get damaged then if was on top.

legend
    Free Member

Note that I’ve trimmed the shifter lever on mine to help get everything close together

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I run a reverb and slx cassette with no issues. ?!?

Not a clash I ever considered!!

wallop

If the OP has Avid brakes won’t the matchmaker clamp be used to avoid a clash? (I’m not sure on this, I have Shimano brakes and shifters).

legend
    Free Member

wallop – Member
    If the OP has Avid brakes won’t the matchmaker clamp be used to avoid a clash?

Depends on the vintage, not sure how the they’ve been doing the current clamp for

jane135
    Free Member

But i dont know if buy the right remote because if I can’t set it on the left side underneath, i’ll need to set with mmy other remote on the top right… too many things there…

:(((

?????

Superficial
    Free Member

I think the Reverb lever is the weakest point – With some brake / shifter combos it’s really difficult to get it into the ideal position. I find a right hand lever flipped and positioned under the bar on the left is best though – more ergonomic and better-protected. When I was running 2×10 I just moved the shifter further inboard since I was using the Reverb far more than the front shifter.

B.A.Nana – Member
    <pics>

That looks totally wrong. How do you adjust the seat? With your forefinger? I would never have thought to try that! Also, having those shorter Shimano levers with the brake lever clamp furthest inboard is just wrong. It seems like you would have to have your hand partially off the grip to even use them?

Or have I missed some sort of forum in-joke April fool’s thing?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

having those shorter Shimano levers with the brake lever clamp furthest inboard is just wrong. It seems like you would have to have your hand partially off the grip to even use them?

I can only imagine that the pic is misleading, I can do two finger braking easily, tho the brakes are so powerful that only one finger is necessary. It’s all genuine and works very well.

For a few rides I had the remote lever as per proutster^ and that definitely was really carp. It needs to be right by the grip for instant use without having to take your eyes of the trail/ hand off the bars and/or fumbling around. Altho all that might depend on the terrain you ride, a long Yorkshire Dales ride and I would maybe only use the lever a few times in a ride. Riding/messing in my local woods/moor/quarry and I’m constantly adjusting the seat height.

Twin
    Free Member

The matchmaker clamp works with avid brakes, the reverb clamp replaces the brake lever clamp – It does mean that you have to mount the lever on top and on the side it was designed for.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I’m going to be moving mine underneath as soon as i get the parts to fix the remote.
    I got mine and chucked it on the bike with little thought of position etc as i was really excited to try it out. Long story short I went over the bars and ripped the hose out of the remote snapped the termination piece so as soon as the replacement is here the remote is going under the bars.

jane135
    Free Member

I think the best option is to get the left remote because if i buy the right remote and i’m not able to set it on the left side underneath I would have to set it near the remote shock all together…

Do You agree?

messiah
    Free Member

Another vote for a RH remote underneath on the left – it takes a bit of fettling to make it all work in there but I’ve managed it with SRAM and Shimano shifters.

The way I have it set up with the Formula brakes is perfect for one finger braking…. if your currently braking with two fingers I reccomend setting up like this and upgrading to one finger braking 😉

EDIT – I changed a 20+ year habit of two finger braking to one finger braking two years ago and it’s so much better.

sandal100

I have mine RH underneath, mounted with my Elixir x0 brake lever. It will work fine like that, it just means you can’t mount the shifter as well on the clamp, but I’m 1×10 so that’s not a problem

passtherizla
    Free Member

As Sandal says above, I believe you can still mount the brake lever to the reverb remote if you run the reverb remote upside down… the gap in the bar mount is still in the same place. You might need to play with the position of the gear shifter though. Do you have SLX shifters?

I think that would be the neatest solution.

richmtb

Hadn’t even considered flipping the lever and running it on the other side but it makes sense as the right hand already has a pop-loc cluttering things up

jane135
    Free Member

They´re SLX shifters…

…I´ll buy left remote and I´ll try to set it on the right side underneath if I could unless I´ll set it on the left side top…

It´s the safetly way…

passtherizla
    Free Member

The SLX shifters have some adjustment so you should be ok. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Jane, yes to what you say. You’re a bit stuffed on the right with that fork remote, so you’re only looking at options of mounting it on the left. If you can switch brakes inside towards one/two finger braking, then you can play around with mounting the remote by the grip (as per messiah). Disc brakes are mostly poweful enough for one/two fingers and you should be able to wind the levers in for smaller hand reach. Some brake levers won’t work that well wound in (ie my old Magura Marta SL), but most will.

jane135
    Free Member

Finally I bought reverb w/ left remote….

I will try to set it on the right side…or on the left side top over my avid brakes is good as well!!

I bought it on hibikes, I could see 2 to 7 days at home on the web aviability but They have sent me an email today telling me may it would be 2 weeks…

I hope There is some error…

pondy
    Free Member

unable to mount onm the left underneath with my combo, hope tech levers and xt 10 speed shifters on machmaker mounts 🙁

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Reverb remote underneath??? :(’ is closed to new replies.