Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Return of the Macc-Fest. Sun Dec 16th. Pootle Content
  • jekkyl

*rasises eyebrows* this sounds interesting? I missed the magazine and so didn’t see the route in the mag. Where is this ride that is better than charity lane? I would be most interested in cycling it.
    thanks.

higgo
    Free Member

Well, I didn’t pay too much attention to the mag route as it’s my back yard but I remember a pic of someone on Cumberland Clough, we’re meeting at the bottom of Cumberland Clough and NBT’s first post talks about “… finish with the best downhill“.

jekkyl

well if it ends there and is offroad, just checking a map it can only be a sidetrack off to the right from danebower hollow, that track that runs away over the moor directly opposite the cat n fiddle. Looking on an OS map that sidetrack has small dashes and not big ones. OOh cheeky!

If you guys are going up to charity lane from the leathersmithy AND going up to the cat n fiddle you will need your climbing legs on and then some. lol.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d really like to come but I’m not going to.

higgo
    Free Member

Jekkyl – that’s certainly an option but I doubt it’s the mag route.
    They prob continued all the way on the track from the Cat until the road, did a right and went the ‘legal’ way into Cumberland Clough.

Either is good riding – preference depends on conditions.

nbt

we’ll be staying mostly legal, and will be doing the full length of cimberland clough to finish – depending how the weather holds, we’ll consider whether Three Shires Head is on the agenda.

Charity Lane is great but I think Cumberland Clough edges it 🙂

thorlz
    Free Member

I agree that Cumberland edges charity lane.

Still not impressed. Been watching these pootle threads, mainly Pooks and have been working for every single one for a year. Then alast one comes that I am not working, it is fairley local to me and is infact my most regular route. Happy days I think. Then I check the calendar to find out I have been commandeered for a kids christmas party…..bugger.
    Maybe next time, have fun everyone and enjoy what is a fantastic route.

richpips
    Free Member

We’ll most likely be there.

Pook

Maybe next time,

There will be more thorlz, there will be more 😀

redwoods
    Free Member

Been looking forward to this but I’ve been poorly all week so it looks like me and Onzadog won’t be able to make it afterall 🙁

nbt

Boooooo! 😥

steel4real
    Free Member

Now then Julian – i’m setting my stall out to go for this, early night and an early start to get there in time. I’ve never been there before and have often heard it’s quite good.
    Car parking may be interesting, will just have to trust the sat nav.
    Look forward to seeing you & Jane, can’t bring cakes but will bring Haribo.
    – Marcus

dawson

can someone confirm that the area highlighted in red is the car park we are meeting at?

thanks

higgo
    Free Member

Yes.

higgo
    Free Member

Healthy meal, no booze, early night.
    So…
    Have I woken up in the peak of physical fitness ready to pootle hard?
    Or am I full of snot with achey knees?

You’re going to have to try to have fun without me, people.

hora
    Free Member

Have a good one. Weather looks good. 🙂

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Expecting to start +1 plus mince pie flapjacks…

Pook

Wonderful ride today Jules -thanks for guiding us around. Really nice trails up there, and I think we even saw the sun at one point!

monogramman
    Free Member

What route did you do? I wanted to do this but am just getting over man flu, I did go out on my own but didn’t see any of you.

monogramman
    Free Member

Also, will there be a video pook?

Popocatapetl

Thanks for today Julian. Great ride and company as always!! Nice to do some new trails. Thanks for the lend of the Flat pedals Mr Orange rider! 😀

richpips
    Free Member

Next time I will set my alarm, we weren’t going to make it in time so we went and did something rad instead.

Wyedale by RichSeipp, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Great manageable size. Popa did you forget your shoes this time? 😆

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Many many thanks for the Pootle today everyone, esp. from the tortoise 🙂

The route rode very well considering amount of rain we’ve been having.

Cheers and Merry Xmas!!
    Paul

Pootlers by clarkpm4242, on Flickr

nbt

well, I had a great day out, cheers all for coming. am currently enjoying the Rocky Horror Picture Show while Mrs NBT gets showered

Bunnyhop

Nice photo Paul. That’s us just before we bumped into some mxers, who were in for a surprise, as a ranger was on the same track and they were illegally riding!

Great fun everyone. No rain, plenty of steep climbs, rocky descents and banter 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

Glad you all had fun round here. Its nice to ride it from the front door and a few great pubs on the return leg home too

What was the actual route you took then?

Pook

marsdenman – there won’t be a video as I forgot my camera! I also refused to take any photos because once (just once) I wanted to just ride; it didn’t help me like, as instead of stopping to film I stopped to either fall off or have a rest!

hora
    Free Member

We bumped into mx’ers yesterday. It made me rerealise that the Peaks should also be theirs (ot) but they were on legal stuff.

kbrpro
    Free Member

Thanks Jules for the ride today. It was good to catch up/meet everyone. I can tell it was a good one as I’ve sat in front of the telly all night nodding off. Happy tired is the best tired.

Happy Days!

thorlz
    Free Member

What was your route in the end, just to be nosey

Pook

13.6 miles, 2300ft climbed.

carlos
    Free Member

At a guess – Right out of Clough House carpark – Left up steep tarmac to Standing stone carpark – follow fire road on the left to the bottom – left through the gate and round the bottom of the Res to The Leather Smithy – keep left up the hill and take the metal gate on the left – fire road climb to tarmac – right up steep climb to track on the right, climb and then descend Charity Lane, left at the bottom, left at the bottom again, left at junction and follow to T junction, Turn right and climb to main road, keep right at junction and follow to Cat & Fiddle pub, follow track across Danebower Low to road, right and follow tarmac looking for a ‘no car/motorbike’ sign on the right, take that track and descend to gate, straight through and follow to another, straight on, through ford to gate and the back into carpark.

Could have and might well have done the additional Quarry > 3 Shires loop and hen climbed back to the no vehicle sign

Thats a pretty good night ride, but we start from a pub and finish with some nice forest ST in place of the first fire road descent

jekkyl

are you including that mental rock strewn downhill in front of the chapel there carlos. always gives me the fear.

MartynS

that’s the route carlos,

we did the drop to 3 shires head as well..

Really enjoyed it, I’ve not done the climb to the cat and fiddle for years, and its always nice to sometimes do stuff you know in reverse!
    Not sure we’d have managed it as a night ride.. there were 19 of us and it took about 4 hours!!

As ever, nice to see some familiar faces and I hope the lads from Lancashire got back through border control/quarantine ok.

BadlyWiredDog

hora – Member

We bumped into mx’ers yesterday. It made me rerealise that the Peaks should also be theirs (ot) but they were on legal stuff.

Perhaps it’s time for you to join their ranks? Wouldn’t it combine your love of exhaust fumes and your penchant for buying and selling things with two wheels into one cataclysmic cluster duck of a hobby? 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as carlos says – thats a cracking route at night 😉

i was out too, i did see you guys as i was just descending bottom o oven as you all came down chairty…..but ive had serious serious man flu and just wanted to stay warm and blast on

i did a very similar route to be honest but went further afield when i got up the c&f (for some cheekiness excellent cheekyness, as always ;))

mx’ers on 3 shires head too when i got there 🙁 proper messed up the start of it after coming in from the field side, but its all rocky and good after that as always, ive never actually heard/nor seen them go in from this side before, but clearly they have found it now and are using it in the worst weather going, its un-rideable the very fist section due to bog, which has never really been there before in the years ive done it

all in all it wasnt actually to boggy and wet neither

Bunnyhop

Ah yes, the mxers where given a ‘red card’ from the ranger and were made to turn back, so they didn’t make it to the field (thank goodness), which was slippery as a slippery thing.

I’ve ridden around that area for over 13 years and it’s the first time I’ve seem motor crossers around – shame.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bunnyhop – do you mean you’ve never seen them on the field side of 3 shires in 13 years or any of the descents/climbs into 3 shires? cos if so i see them mostly eveytime i go there on a sunday if im in that area, ive never seen them on that field descent one before, but they are ALWAYS on the 2 long mains climbs/descents

i would say this was about 1pm ish or something like that and i think there were 3 of them, i’d hazard a guess to say they climbed up to the gate from the bridge and instead of going up through the field they just section that bit and turn around and descend what they have just rode up and back down to the bridge (so not climbing out into the field)…

what time did they get done by the ranger then? they have knackered the bit by the gate near the fields, bit gutting, its only a little section, but its still got another 5 months of mud and wet to go, i;ve not seen any damage like that in any previous winter, so they must have only started using that section just recently

i crossed a few walkers and they had to skim around the bog, didnt look happy at all, i even got off to go round it to (first time ever!)

Pook

we saw them at about 1. I had a little ‘chat’ with them

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Return of the Macc-Fest. Sun Dec 16th. Pootle Content’ is closed to new replies.