Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Retro HiFi
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Any lovers here?

I’ve been keeping my eyes out for an old Marantz receiver circa late 70’s. They don’t come up very often in Aus and the ones that do are recapped and serviced and command a high price. These kind of things crop up in thrift stores in the US for pennies but often shipping is the killer as they are heavy beasts. I will get one eventually, probably just end up sucking up the delivery cost then getting the serviced. But omg I love them. Even the 2215b despite only being 15wpc have quite some kick to them. Perhaps with an old and restored pair of JBL speakers is the kind of thing I’m aiming for.

If you have any old kit, post some up. Be great to see what you have.

I’m currently running a mid-school Yamaha 5.1 receiver and some Wharfedale Diamond 9.5

redmex
    Free Member

I’ve 3 retro turntables on the go just now,a Dual cs 515 looks naff but still sounds good, my Systemdek biscuit tin I need sold to recoup the £200 I spend reconditioning it before Xmas but currently playing The Nightfly by Donald Fagen is my Rotel rp-830 with new Rega carbon cartridge . A bargain for anyone at £150 and has vinyl

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve got a turntable planned too but the amp is first. Such pretty pieces of kit imho!

bazzer
    Free Member

I have a Thorens TD-147 turntable with two Arcam Alpha 10 amps bi-amped into Monitor Audio GR20s. Also have an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player as well.

There is a Denon Tape deck in the rack but does not get used that often.

I love it 🙂 Or is this stuff too modern 🙂

blokeuptheroad

I have had a Rega Planar 2 turntable for 36 years and it’s as good as new and sounds awesome.

bob_summers

Audiolab 8000 with Celestion Ditton 66s.* Turntable is a eighties (?) NAD.

*Except they got banished to storage as they apparently look like coffins. A pair of newish Bowers bookshelves not-quite filling their shoes.

richard

Celestion SL12si speakers. Rare things, and they are great!
    Musical Fidielity A1001. I’ve recapped it, a monster and still going strong.
    Meridian 506. Still going, not sure the laser is in the best condition anymore 🙁
    Bunch of other stuff, all at least 25 years old.
    It’s mostly all been bought second hand.

Cougar

Does my Laserdisc player count?

FB-ATB

I’m in a quandry- my Little Pink Thing’s motor has packed up. It will cost more to repair than some decent new turntables.
    But I’ve had it since 1990- saved up for it and a Musical Fidelity B1 amp plus Celestion C5 speakers after getting my first job since university.

robw1
    Free Member

My Dad was quite into retro hifi…..and had some older stuff that he never got ride off. just sold his nice B&O 901 amp/ receiver. Also inherited his QUAD 34/FM4/306 system with rack. need to get it rigged up with some decent speakers.

darthpunk
    Free Member

I would love an old Marantz amp

eg:

Actually, I just really want them to start making amps again with VU meters

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Finally got pics up. Not got a proper listening room yet.
    Marantz CD80, Musical Fidelity Preamp, Linx Stratos Monos and Monitor Audio R300’s

maccruiskeen

I’m not really bothered about performance but I do like things that look nice. Over the years I’ve picked up various bits either from junk shops or caught them as they were heading for a skip. So currently (well for the last 20 years mostly) I use

A technics 1200 Mk1

An Aiwa AF3090

A pair of Grundig 403a speakers which have a nice Dieter Rams look to them although I don’t think they’re his handywork

and a pair of good old British Kolster Brandes *

* I’ve got a KB tv too… but so did someone else….. makes you think!

Speeder

I saw some of these in a local HiFi shop the other week and I really like. ;o)

JBL L100s

Think they’re probably the other side of a lottery win though (and a divorce).

boblo
    Free Member

@holyzeus… I’ve got a little stiffy looking at that lot. Thank you. 🙃

tuboflard

Remember seeing a pair of Quad ESL speakers at a family friends when I was younger (maybe 16) and hearing them, **** me. I’ve wanted a pair ever since. Even if I could afford them I don’t think I’ve the space to do them justice. Still want though.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I inherited my dear old Mums Hifi, a Marantz CD like Zeus’s which is now rarely used, with an Audio Incinerations Series 300 valve amp feeding Snell type K speakers. These days I mainly play through an iFi bluetooth reciever, and I love it!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

@boblo thankyou I bought the speakers new 34 years ago ditto with the CD, that’s 31 years ago.
    @surburbanreuben I would love a valve amp

CountZero

currently playing The Nightfly by Donald Fagen is my Rotel rp-830 with new Rega carbon cartridge .

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Cougar
    Subscriber
    Does my Laserdisc player count?

No, probably just plays laserdiscs?

Those JBL speakers are a modern take on an old classic…. Pricey but lovely. There’s a company in Japan that refurbishes old JBL’s….Kenrick Sound. Have a look at their site. OMfG…. There’s a few vids on youtube of their work. Honestly amazing.

dannybgoode

I have Yamaha CA810, Leak 2001 Transcriptor and some LNB Para Lab 20 speakers. All sound bloody lovely, especially so taking into about it’s all at least 40 yo.

Anyone with an interest in or looking for help with or trying to source vintage gear I’d highly recommend joining the Audioshite group on Facebook. The admission questions will reassure you that you’re in the right place for such things.

Be warned though – a thoroughly decent bunch but you may end up with rather more audio gear than you bargained for as people are always posting links to tempting looking stuff 😀

Watty

Acoustic Research The AR Turntable
    Cambridge Audio A1
    Cambridge Audio CD5 (not the Topaz)
    B&W 110

andywill

Rega Planer 1 Turntable
    Sherwood AX-4050r Amp
    Mission 700 (tried some Mordant Short 20i but they didn’t suit the amp so well)
    Chromecast audio.

I love the sound I get from this setup.

tenfoot

I have Cyrus power supply, amp and CD player, plus a Planar 3 deck. It’s all up in the loft at the moment though and I’m using my Naim Qb for music until I have the space to use the full system again.

amodicumofgnar

Only back to the 90s

Pioneer A400
    NAD 5420
    Arcam Alpha Speakers

Think I still have a Yamaha cassette deck and rotel tuner on stock somewhere at the folks.

redmex
    Free Member

Rega turntables are like the Gaggia coffee machines on here, better than a Dual but I canny afford that Glesca Linn stuff

cynic-al
    Free Member

FB-ATB do some research, replacing a motor will be piss easy, finding one might be tricky tho.

I have some AVI Neutrons, Ruark Icons (I designed the crossover and sound on them) a pair of Crimson monoblocks and a magnesium cased Cyrus 2 which doesn’t work.

I’d love to repair the latter but I think it’s beyond me, any suggestions for a compact replacement? Power stage only I ok, compact as possible. I’d love a micromega…

hunterst
    Free Member

Lovely Marantz amp up there.

just the kind of thing I’m looking for.

Current set up is:
    Naim 62/140 pre/power
    Linn lp12 with ittok and origin live power supply
    1976 Tannoy Cheviot speakers.

Recently swapped the speaker cabinets over for some fancy walnut veneered cheviot cabinets with upgraded crossovers.

Sound really nice on the naims but looking for a suitable 70’s amp to drive them.

FB-ATB

Al I’ve looked- there’s a replacement/ upgrade unit that’s swaps from ac to dc (or vice versa).

It’s a bit pricey and there’s some surgery to the unit involved.

The main man behind PT has his new company in Hove. Last time I looked they were doing upgrades too but not cheap.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh yeah I forgot the DC aspect.

Have you researched forums? There might be a good DIY fix/upgrade.

You’d be surprised how simple s lot of turntables are

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I used to have a MF 3A pre and P140 power amp. Lovely sound.

amps

Used to run hot like, and the build never gave me confidence. For some odd reason that makes little sense to me now I sold them and got the Audiolab 8000C and 8000P combo instead, which had more grunt but sounded cold and I never loved them.

I’m actually getting my proper hifi back into shape, after a house move. Going to get a network streamer and go all internet/hi-res/Tidal/network drive/yadda/yadda.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you wanna watch this. Mental.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

aphex_2k
    Free Member

WOW.

Must admit I do watch people’s gear reviews on YouTube. I supposed it stops me from making silly purchases to a point…

I spotted one of these on eBay but it’s $1400 – full serviced but it’s divorce material.

Scapegoat

Dual CS 503-1 Audiophile turntable, NAD C521BEE CD player, Mission Cyrus One Amp, with Mission 761 speakers. Denon Tuner, and an Aiwa ADF270 cassette deck both relegated to a shelf somewhere. All but the CD player are 1990, bought with wedding present cash.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I had a mint Nakamichi tape player for a while too. I feel I should’ve kept hold of that. Not sure why…

@AndyWill
    if you still have the Mordant Short 20i then I was looking for some for the garage.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

JBLs reviewed here

redmex
    Free Member

I’ve a set of Mission m33i speakers but they are so dull sounding. Bought them years ago as they looked great but I was maybe duped as I had to buy no demo. They have never been opened up as far as I can see but not sure whether to spend money on them. My old Aegis one speakers slightly tatty sound brilliant, anyone got any ideas what to do ?

slowoldman

I had a mint Nakamichi tape player for a while too. I feel I should’ve kept hold of that. Not sure why…

I had a 582. Magnificent thing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

redmex are suggesting altering your Missions? Is there a scene for that?

I’d be using what you enjoy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Retro HiFi’ is closed to new replies.