Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Restoring faded Five Ten’s
  • escrs
    Free Member

Ive got a set of red and black Five Ten’s that have hardly been worn and never worn on the bike (soles are mint)

Unfortunatley they were left in the conservatory next to a window and one of them has faded a bit, so much that parts now look pink rather than red

Is there any way to restore the faded red sections back to their former glory?

Link is for reference, not the actual shoes in question

https://www.snowboard-online.eu/gallery/2390345/

Cougar

Turn them round in the window so that eventually it’ll all match.

Honestly, I’ve no idea but it might be worth an email to 5-10? Cool-looking shoes, it’d be a shame if they were ruined.

kormoran
    Free Member

you could try some of that suede proofing wax, I put it on my light grey suede approach shoes and it made them go a darker grey

if you wet them with water first you will see what colour they will probably go if you wax them

thegeneralist
    Free Member

be a shame if they were ruined

They aren’t. They’ve just gone a slightly different colour.

K

Would have thought a good cobblers or any other leather workers be able to darken them down with some dye.

CountZero

I’ve got a pair of 5:10’s, the boot-type, which I haven’t worn in ages. Dug them out of the cupboard a week or so back, and the foam midsole has started to disintegrate! The sole is hardly worn, so I’m a bit miffed that they should do this – I’ve got shoes twice as old that are still perfectly wearable. ☹️

chevychase

I love their grip on a bike and the feel of them but 5:10’s are the some of shoddiest made pieces of water-retaining junk going.

I don’t know why they don’t take a leaf out of proper walking shoes books – in terms of materials and construction they’re better in pretty much every way.

Any of my walking shoes, clad with 5:10 soles is what I want.

reeksy

@countzero – this is a standard problem in Australia where the temperatures are warmer (at least I presume that’s why, i’d never heard of it before I moved here). The glue apparently loses its bond when it’s static for too long, and the synthetic materials degrade. I’ve had soles fall off and midsoles disintegrate on two pairs of Scarpas, football boot soles snap. A fried used to work in an outdoor store and she warned me against buying two pairs when they’re on offer, she said people do it all the time, put one pair away for a couple of years (temps in cupboards likely to hit +30), then when they take them out they fall apart so they bring them back to the shop complaining that they’ve never been worn.

reeksy

It would be worth seeing what a red permanent marker could do – just try a tiny patch to see if it colour matches.

stingmered

Just ride and get them mddy you big tart… 🙂 Admittedly, finding mud might be tricky given the dry weather we’ve had for the last 6 weeks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.