• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by LeeW.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Resignation
  • LeeW

Been in my current ‘corporate’ (Snigger) job for many years and am going to resign possibly tomorrow. Understand the need to not burn bridges etc. but do you think it better to call my manager before confirming in writing?

*Not really a corporate person, just kind have bimbled along and ended up doing it for the last few years.

nickhit3
    Free Member

seems like a decent thing to do if you are on good terms.

jimdubleyou

call my manager before confirming in writing?

Do you want to screw him gently, or hard? 😛

TBH, I’d be having a face to face conversation with him as I handed over the letter.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Probably.

It’d be polite, anyway. They will likely need to get replacement hire process on the go asap.

jamesmio
    Free Member

I’d have a chat with him/her, explain what you’re up to and confirm it in writing afterwards.

That’s how I’ve always left a job, seems to be the cleanest, most professional way out.

Unless your boss is a massive, massive dick, there’s no real reason for you to be just cos you’re moving on.

sweaman2
    Free Member

My preference would be to hand the letter over in person.. you’re implying that isn’t an option?

Klunk
    Free Member

wee in his shoes but do it nicely.

ourmaninthenorth

Eh?

Who else are you going to tell?

Jakester
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member
    TBH, I’d be having a face to face conversation with him as I handed over the letter.

That’s what I’ve always done (apart from one place where I was the intended screwee so I did the screwing first).

exocet
    Free Member

edd

I’d have a chat with him/her, explain what you’re up to and confirm it in writing afterwards.

That’s how I’ve always left a job, seems to be the cleanest, most professional way out.+1

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve tended to ask for a short meeting, tell them you’re leaving and hand them the letter at the same time.

They might treat the letter with nonchalant disdain but it’s better to get everything in order from the outset to save any problems should things turn bitter down the road.

There’s always a temptation to give them chapter and verse about their many and various failings etc, but it does you no good, if they were the sort of person / organisation to accept feedback from staff, they wouldn’t need it in the first place.

I think I’ve only ever had a single ‘exit interview’ they asked, I gave reasons in positive constructive ways, they told me I was wrong. If I’m pushed for a reason I say “money” it lets them know about the ruthless money focused mercenary I am ha ha.

LeeW

sweaman2 – Member

My preference would be to hand the letter over in person.. you’re implying that isn’t an option?

It’s not an option unfortunately, we’re in different countries.

Edit – P-Jay, I like the ruthless greed monster option. May see me through.

I’m expecting an exit interview, hopefully with the expenses paid trip to Paris which has gone with others who’ve resigned recently 🙂

Jakester
    Free Member

As PS, I’d always make sure to copy my resignation letter to HR after handing it over – just in case it isn’t passed on…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I was hoping this was going to be a good ol’ forum flounce… got to be time for one of those soon, surely?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

As it’s the corporate world you’ll quickly realise that no one gives a shit about your earth shattering announcement 😀

jekkyl

Masterlock?

LeeW

As it’s the corporate world you’ll quickly realise that no one gives a shit about your earth shattering announcement

That’s what I’m hoping 🙂

Just slope off in to the background without a trace, it would be bliss.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

The last job I left, I had a chat with my manager to let them know my intentions before even writing my resignation letter.

I got a nice hardtail frame as a leaving present.

Just sayin’ 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

my last managers face lit up the day i handed her my notice, she’d been miserable up until that moment. that tells you how our professional relationship was. i wish i’d just emailed and walked out now tbh

chewkw
    Free Member

If you are not going back to the same industry in future then just have a friendly chat saying that you want to move on to something interesting. Just relax. Smile.

You should be happy because you have finally be brave enough to move on. You have achieved freedom. Freeddooommmm! 😆

AdamT

I had an exit interview once where they asked what my new salary would be. I was pretty surprised to be asked, but did reply very coolly with “significantly more than this place”. I was actually leaving cos they made my team redundant and removed my flexitime (which is possibly not legal)

chewkw
    Free Member

AdamT – Member
    I had an exit interview once where they asked what my new salary would be. I was pretty surprised to be asked, but did reply very coolly with “significantly more than this place”. I was actually leaving cos they made my team redundant and removed my flexitime (which is possibly not legal)

It looks like they were thinking of counter offering you to stress you up or to make you regret. Good answer that. 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That’s what I’m hoping

Just slope off in to the background without a trace, it would be bliss.

Well good luck, hope it goes well

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Definitely have a chat first – they may resolve your concerns by changing your role or by paying you more £££. Either way, give them a chance.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Definitely have a chat first – they may resolve your concerns by changing your role or by paying you more £££. Either way, give them a chance.

Have a chat by all means but if you have made a decision to leave then leave. The any promised changes will never come or be so water down to be considered
    homeopathic and if there are reasons you are not happy there extra money will soon not feel enough compensation unless its mega bucks for a set period that you can count down.

Cougar

Depends on the manager, surely.

My current manager is great and I’d absolutely give him the courtesy of a heads-up. In previous roles, not so much.

ourmaninthenorth

Having had to make my last role redundant, I have moved into something else at the current place.

Redundancy rules mean I’m entitled to a trial period. It’s a few months, which doesn’t really bother me.

The hilarious bit is that, on the final day of the trial, either my new boss or I can serve immediate notice on the other. As in no exit period and leave on the day.

It’s going to be like employment High Noon..!

GrahamS

I’ve failed at resigning twice.

In both cases I was resigning because we were moving city/country to follow my wife’s career. And in both cases I ended up staying on and working remotely instead.

Depends what your reasons for leaving are of course, but definitely worth a chat with the boss.

LeeW

Depends what your reasons for leaving are of course, but definitely worth a chat with the boss.

Many different reasons but the main one is that I’m spending more time living in foreign countries than the UK for the last couple of years.

Plus, I get to cycle to work 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Resignation’ is closed to new replies.