• This topic has 37 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Reputable PPI claim companies?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Is this a thing? I have had several credit cards over the years and also a mortgage with Northern Rock. However I don’t necessarily remember them all so would want a company that can search for any possible claims. Is there anyone that can be recommended (I don’t mind if they get a percentage of any ‘winnings’ but don’t want to pay an up front fee).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Fair Trade Practice

thehustler
    Free Member

Cant emphasise enough go on martin lewis site get the letter templates and do it yourself, the ‘claim’ companies get 20% for basically doing nothing!! (had over 30k back by doing it ourselves!!)

bikebouy
    Free Member

DIY.

You don’t have long left before they close the claims process.

oldtennisshoes

I diy’d With limited success, a mix of addresses and accounts over the years meant it was hard to nail down – including an egg card which should have come up with something.
    I’m not sure if the companies that do it for you have better ways of tracking your addresses/accounts but got to be worth a try.

chestrockwell

The Fair Trade Practice are who we used. Got some money for my wife but not for me. Seemed decent enough and don’t spam you afterwards.

frankconway

Thread title is a contradiction in terms.
    As above, DIY.

escrs
    Free Member

I used a free online site that is recommended by MoneySupermarket

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/#resolver

You just entered your details and selected the banks/credit card companies etc.. from their extensive list and click submit

Then those companies have to reply to you in email or writing telling you if you can claim PPI from them or not

I got back thousands and it didn’t cost me anything and i didn’t have to pay any commission

Even done it a 2nd time using the same website and banks/credit cards etc… and it turned out one bank had mis calculated my payment last time as they didn’t take into consideration the interest the PPI i had paid would have accumulated from the day i paid off the loan till the day they paid it back to me so i got another little windfall

Cougar

All a PPI company will do is ask you who you were with, send out default letters on your behalf, and take a third of any payouts. Do it yourself.

I used the template on Which?, it’s simpler than the MSE one. Took me seconds and I got several grand back. Do it.

PMK2060

The missus used Resolver.

They do not charge anything and are endorsed by Martin Lewis.

I wish I had taken out PPI all those years ago as it seems a good savings scheme :).

bigdean

Do it yourself. If you have evidence.
    I used a template from money saving expert (I think) copy of the statement with the ppi on it. But of a wait and letter saying payment in next 28 days. You only have till August.

CountZero

Your bank? My account manager did all the paperwork for me, having given me the phone number to contact for it, and she got back nearly £11k.
    PPI claim companies will often keep 30% of what they get back…

takisawa2

The FSA web site had a list of lenders with links to their claim pages. They then contact you with a link to an online form, one of mine was a paper form though, but the actual form is the same. Part of the process is a phone call, but they are just asking the same questions of s script. It’s honestly not a lot of work for what was for me as substantial number of payouts.
    I honestly had no idea some of the lenders had these policies running.

FuzzyWuzzy

I DIY’d (to 6 or 7 banks & card companies) and got nothing back. I then tried a PPI company thinking they’d do a bit more digging but they basically just sent me a load of letters to add bank/card company details to and to send back to them (which I imagine they just post), I did it anyway (they already had my mobile number & email address so wasn’t much to lose in terms of getting spammed) and still got nothing. Even tried a third time after their was a slight change in criteria – and still got nothing :p

deadkenny
    Free Member

Problem I’ve got is not remembering what I had, not just whether I had PPI. Banks and credit cards are fine, but it’s store cards, catalogue accounts and insurances, a lot of which from MSE / Resolver and other sites including FCA, need you to know who the underwriter was or is now owned by, and got no idea.

I could go spam a load of them without a clue though.

Or I dig out the files buried away in boxes and I might still have old documents. It’ll take me weeks to go through it all.

Is there a date when PPI stopped being mis-sold? I can filter out anything after that date at least.

Another advice is to check credit report, but while I’ve got an Experian account and I’m sure it did list all my old credit accounts including store cards, car finance etc, it seems to have dropped all that information and only holds more recent stuff (data protection laws at work!).

The small amount of credit I had with each and considering it was almost always paid off before interest kicked in, I’m not sure it’s worth it. People getting thousands is understandable if you’ve been getting tens or hundreds of thousands of credit, but not in my case. Aside from credit cards, car and mortgage (the latter I did have some kind of payment protection but I killed it off early. Still have a death/injury insurance that pays the mortgage off, but it’s not payment protection in that sense, though it’s probably worthless).

fatoldgit

Take a look at this web site

https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/how-to-check/search-for-provider

It has links to a shed load of financial institutions,
    And most seem to have a simple on line tool to start the process

In my younger days I had loads of store cards and couldn’t find any details of where to send a claim, this web site answered my queries, though. Why it wasn’t available ages ago I have no idea

Now sitting back and waiting to see what happens,
    If I get anything it’s a bonus in my eyes
    If I don’t it only cost me 30 minutes,

molgrips
    Free Member

My sister and mum recommended Allay.

johndoh
    Free Member

Allay have been bothering me for ages / totally unsolicited emails and texts. I am now using Resolver. Will see how I get on…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So you need to remember who you have banked with, had loans with etc ?

I can’t remember any of that. I never knowingly took out PPI though.

I have had car loans etc though and mortgages/life insurance etc but again always declined the PPI element

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah it’s a bit of a pain (as someone suggested before, it should have been up to all lenders etc. to check themselves and contact people rather than the other way around).

I used Resolver and bank/credit card company online forms to speculatively send out PPI claims to everyone I could remember having any account/loan/card with – I got nothing back (as in no money, they all sent letters back saying they were unable to find evidence of me having had PPI).

I then contacted a PPI claims company (can’t remember who, one that advertises on the radio but to be fair to them they haven’t spammed me since nor have other claims companies). They just sent me a load of form letters that I needed to enter the Bank/loan/credit company name onto and return to them. They aren’t a bunch of financial investigators that scour various databases etc. we don’t have access to. All they do is get the same basic details you already know and send out the letters on your behalf (and take a big chunk of any payout in return). If you don’t know the name of the lender for a loan or can’t trace the company underwriting a store card yourself then a PPI claims company will be of no use to you.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I am doing it myself right now, found out store cards from debenhams, topman, burton and kwik fit are all under santander now. Online forms to fill in, very straightforward.

Santander confirmed I had 3 lots of ppi but they are trying to say it wasn’t missold (yet online claims almost all ppi was missold) so might have to go to the ombudsman.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The approach now is that if you had PPI it’s just accepted as mis-sold. Even if you knew about it, the problem is most wouldn’t have been valid anyway.

There’s an additional category apparently (from reading about this on MSE) where if over 50% of the PPI cost went as commission to the provider without them telling you, there’s additional to claim, even if you already claimed PPI, it wasn’t mis-sold or claim was rejected.

As for knowing you didn’t take any out, the problem is many were included without your knowledge either as small print or deliberately hidden by a sales guy on commission, and it was big money to sell PPI.

Apparently there’s a possibility in the last couple of weeks some providers may automatically file a complaint for anyone they know has PPI, but not certain. I guess after the deadline there might be some fines coming up.

jim25

Thanks to the link above from ecsrs, HSBC have confirmed I had ppi on an old bank loan and credit card from 2003!
    And have have sent me a final settlement credit that’s to be payed back into my account, is it worth contesting the first offer? Would they try and lowball you first hoping they’ll save some monies?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So you’d pay a company, to get back the pp insurance you shouldn’t have paid in the first place…..? That seems a little odd to me.

zilog6128

is it worth contesting the first offer? Would they try and lowball you first hoping they’ll save some monies?

it’s my understanding that it’s not an arbitrary “offer” as such like you might get from an insurance co., they’ve calculated what they actually owe you I.e. what you originally paid plus interest. So I don’t see why they’d change it unless you can prove they’ve made a mistake in their calculations (which given the lack of records etc for most people is probably unlikely). You could go to the ombudsman of course but again the likely scenario is that without a good reason they’ll just agree with the bank & you’ll get the same payout (but have to wait 18 months for it!)

jim25

So you’d pay a company, to get back the pp insurance you shouldn’t have paid in the first place…..? That seems a little odd to me.

Nope. I haven’t paid any company, I wrote directly to HSBC.

jim25

Thanks Zilog, I thought that might be the case.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Still waiting for my direct submissions made to both Lloyds and Barclays online on 16th August to be acknowledged.
    I’m hoping they’re just very busy and I’ll get my refund within 8 weeks of the submissions (like they’re supposed to do).

bigyinn
    Free Member

Barclays came back first to say that nope.
    Lloyds came next with a nope and a maybe.
    Lloyds gave my final decision yesterday, £7247!!! GET IN!

footflaps

Lloyds gave my final decision yesterday, £7247!!! GET IN!

Result!

Drac

Very nice.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What new bike are you going to get?

johndoh
    Free Member

I am still awaiting news on mine – we did a whole heap of claims using Resolver and I think I have claims on a couple of them but yet to hear back. Fingers crossed as we have just had some very unexpected additional costs come in (wife with serious back/neck issues and daughter needing therapy to support anxiety issues) which are costing us several hundred pounds a month which we don’t have.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Fingers crossed you get something johndoh.
    Sadly a new bike is out of the question, a second hand one may be an option. Im still riding 26″ wheels at present, so need to update at some point.
    A newer car to purge the Renault POS from my life and a family holiday are the two main priorites, plus I need to finish off the electrics on the shed and replace 6 fence panels.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah cheers – it would be nice but I do keep forgetting all about it then seeing this thread pop back up and get all hopeful all over again.

revs1972
    Free Member

Still waiting for Black Horse who at one point told me i had not had an account with them (even though i bought a car on finance through them in ’99).
    I had no paperwork so left it at that.
    About 6 weeks later they notified me they had found records and would let me know within 8 weeks.
    Hopefully it will come whilst we are on holiday so we can organise the next one when we get back 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Whoooooo – so happy, just heard we are due £2,200 from NRAM (old Northern Rock) from a mortgage I took out in 1998. It won’t clear our recent costs but it will go a long way to doing so – and just in time for Christmas 😍

Drac

Hmm! Still not heard back from them think I’ll chase it up.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Reputable PPI claim companies?’ is closed to new replies.