Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Replacing hope Freehub
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My Freehub is gone on my hope tech enduro 27.5 wheelset. Does anyone know if any hope Freehub will fit or if there’s another alternative please?

teethgrinder

Depends which model hub. Pro2 Evo needs a Pro2 Evo freehub.
    Pro4 needs Pro4.

P20

Gone in what sense? Does it not just need a clean and regrease?

teethgrinder

And depends on what you mean by gone. All parts can be bought separately.

simondbarnes

Needs to be the correct one but why not just service it?

montgomery
    Free Member

As above. The freehub’s just a lump of metal, unlike (say) Shimano; some cartridge bearings and spacers, pawls & springs, and a seal – all easily replaceable. The pawls engage with a ratchet ring in the hub shell which might be an issue if it’s stripped (unlikely). If it’s a case of an aluminium freehub body being chewed to bits by the cassette, buy a steel one – last forever.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The thread for the cassette to lock onto is threaded. Normally this is the kind of moronic thing I’d do but the only people ever go take it off were at Dalby forest.

dhrider
    Free Member

So it’s not a fault of the freehub then, it’s bad mechanic skills.

If you can’t screw something onto a thread properly, it doesn’t matter what freehub or material it’s made from, its human error.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s a big ass thread, how the he’ll do you strip that?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve got it on now but it’s really bad.

dhrider
    Free Member

Are you sure the last cog is seated correctly?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Yeah I even tried without the 11t on to make sure it was threaded. Like I say I’ve got it on so for a while it’s okay but I might as well get a new Freehub ready for the next cassette change

whitestone
    Free Member

Define “really bad”.

The cassette lockring needs to be pretty tight, we’re into the NNNNNNNGH! sort of range here. Before then if you can’t turn the lockring using your fingers it’s likely cross-threaded – what I do is present the lockring to the hub, make sure it’s square then turn gently anti-clockwise until I feel a click which is when the ends of the thread have moved past one another. Then I start to turn it clockwise.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I do the same. I’ve had my moments of messing up with bike mechanics but never cross threaded anything

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have a XD freehub for a Pro4 Boost hub that needs new bearings. You can have that cheap if it helps.

ibnchris

And I’ve got an old hub from an enduro wheelset that’s Shimano if that’s what you need. DM me. Don’t need much for it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Replacing hope Freehub’ is closed to new replies.